Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had asked some friends from Japan to send me brochures of the new Cube when it comes out (figuring it will become available there first). Well, something got lost in translation, and I just got a care package of brochures for the current Cube in Japan. Wow! I really, really hope they don't change hardly anything. It is interesting what they stress and what they don't. Nothing in the brochures about the engine, I guess the Japanese laws really preclude working on engines, and since most drivers in Japan don't put that many miles on them, no one really cares about engines. However, you can get different exhaust systems as options! The number of options available (apparently, dealer installed) is trully daunting. Nissan cups to match your cupholders? Roof racks? It wouldn't surprise me if Consumer Reports give the Cube an "unacceptable" handling rating due to the short wheelbase and tall body, and people in Japan put roof racks on them? Those "Chex" wheels everyone is complaining about are only on the 15 inch wheels, they have lots of options on 14 inch wheels. I guess in short, American marketing is more about "the joy of the open road and freedom" and the Japanese marketing is more about "how you can customize your personal space". In any event, I really hope nothing much on the new Cube changes from the current model.

·
Registered
152 Posts
From what I understand is that most Japanese car owners do work on the engine's a lot. The factory engines have very strict limits to their performance, but people can pretty much alter them as much as they like. For this reason, if I understand correctly, it is understood that most car enthusiasts replace their engines very soon after purchasing the car. Engine swaps are a much bigger comodity in Japan and Asia than in America, so that would probably explaain the lack of interest in advertizing the engine.

*reminded me of the Mr. Sparkile sub-plot in The Simpsons

1 - 2 of 2 Posts