Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, one of the features that our salesman told me about is that it was impossible for me to lock my keys in the car. Great! I've done that way too many times:) So I keep my keys (with the intelligent key) in my purse, my purse in the car, the car in the garage. My eldest goes to get something from the car and says "Hey Mom, where are the keys, the doors are locked?" Huh?? So I go out there, use the button on the door handle....nothing. Not an unlock,not a beep.....absolutely nothing. So hubby comes to the rescue with his keys and all seems now back to normal. So my question is, how the heck did this happen? Yes, it's possible that my husband sat on his keys funny (in his pocket) and hit the lock button, but isn't it NOT supposed to lock when there are keys inside? And shouldn't it also have unlocked when I did hit the button?

I'm actually at the dealer now (Yay, WIFI!) because my SES light is on for the second time since getting the car two weeks ago (NOT the gas cap!). I'm truely amazed at how unknowledgable they are about these cars. They don't know what the "mystery" icon is, they have no idea how the intelligent key should work and I am beyond frustrated with the SES light. Little things I know, but after wanting this car for SOOOO long and working so hard to convince my husband it was a good idea to trade our Lexus in on it, I'm looking pretty darn bad right now.....

Michelle

·
Registered
170 Posts
Re: Intellegent Key? Yeah, right.....

Interesting...I have tried locking the doors with the intelligent key left in there and have never been able to do so. I wonder if it has a timer set up to automatically lock it?

Hopefully someone will be competent enough to answer all your questions and be able to help you at the dealership.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no idea how I managed to do this, but it certainly did happen. Now I'm afraid to leave them in there! And even if it had an auto timer to lock (which hasn't happened previously in the time I've had the car) you'd think it would still unlock.....

·
Registered
170 Posts
Lynia143 said:
I have no idea how I managed to do this, but it certainly did happen. Now I'm afraid to leave them in there! And even if it had an auto timer to lock (which hasn't happened previously in the time I've had the car) you'd think it would still unlock.....
agreed that you would think it would unlock...curious as to how it happened. I am sure the dealership is like uhm...well....yeah...haha

Hopefully it was just a freak occurrence.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, you're right! I'm still sitting and hoping for some kind of logical explanation. (Also hoping I'm back on the road in time get the little one from school.....) The good thing is that they were able to expain to me the customizations that the navigation system on a Maxima offers, including auto door lock options.

I have yet to figure out how that helps but.....ok. :roll:

·
Registered
929 Posts
It may have to do with whatever is causing your other problems.

But at least you dumped the Toyota. I'd trade a lockout for sudden acceleration death/inoperable brakes death/steering failure death any day!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope so, Big Wheeler. My other car wasn't affected by the Toyota recalls.....well at least not as of yet!......but I'm wondering how many more hours I have to sit here for before I start wishing for that "sudden death".

·
Registered
147 Posts
No idea how this could happen. It is supposed to be unpossible . . .

One question, though: why would you leave the keys in the car in the first place? It sounds like you do it all the time (at least at home). If I am mistaken, I apologize. If not, uh . . . huh?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bad habit. I keep my car in our garage. Garage stays locked. So I keep my keys in my purse, purse in the car (I rarely need it in the house). On the rare occassions hubby needs his car in the garage and mine is in the drive way, then of course everything comes in.

But...not unpossible. Hubby must have hit the lock button on his key fob. It over rides mine that is in the car. But now because mine is inside, only his can override it. If mine was outside, no prob. Inside=prob. At least, that's what the dealership has to say. We're going to try and duplicate it again tonight. I'll keep you posted.

As for my SES, they replaced the vent control valve which was supposedly causing a small leak. Not surprised that's what they did, I read about it being an issue on some other cubes. I just hope that's MY issue and that it's now solved.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Please tell me the cube does not have an evasive evap leak... I just got rid of an 02 X-type jag because there was a constant evap leak that nobody could fix for under $8k!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lynia143 said:
And shouldn't it also have unlocked when I did hit the button?
Actually it shouldn't open, because if it did, then that would mean while you are in the car with the keys anyone from the outside could open the doors, even when they are locked!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry KandA, but that's what I've been reading about. Good thing is that it also seems to be an easy fix once it's been determined that that is the problem.

And Zeta, I understand that, but it's not how it was described by our salesman. I prefer it this way, but it was not what we expected and the dealer was also saying that it wasn't possible.

Michelle

·
2,084 Posts
With reading and understanding the key system it is possible actually. The car thinks you are in it. Once inside if you lock the doors with the fob inside someone cant open the doors and get at you from outside. We tested this a wile back. Fear of intruder issue.

So if hubby locked the door (by mistake) with his fob I would think it possible for the above agreed condition.

·
Registered
315 Posts
It is not possible to lock the car while the intelligent key is inside ONLY IF you try to lock it by pressing the button on the door handle AND no other intelligent key for your car is within range.
So yes, it is possible to lock your key in your car by leaving the intelligent key inside and locking the car with a second intelligent key outside the vehicle.

Word of wisdom: never leave your keys in the car. Even in a locked garage.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I prefer my .02 better......don't let your husband sit on the keychain.

Or even better:

Give a spare to the teenager who can let you in if needed.

·
Registered
315 Posts
haha.... works, too!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Read the manual key has to be on the out side to unlock. The system some how knows ware and how far the key is to the out side. Must be some kinda antenna on each of the door handles. Your sales person was wrong.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did read the manual, thank you. And he wasn't wrong, he was just explaining that I couldn't lock my own key in the car. This was a different situation, involving a second key in a fairly unique situation.

·
Registered
315 Posts
As long as hubby doesn't sit on the keys again, all is well. ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You got that right!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts