Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
lonlawrence said:
AndrewGS, I see you replying (arguing with) all my statements. You're all wet. While a particular engine may be designed to run at a given mpg, increasing the airflow will increase the fuel flow. You know nothing about thermodynamics or the computers used in our modern autos. I repeat, TO GET MORE POWER, YOU HAVE TO THROW MORE FUEL ON THE FIRE. MPG AND POWER DO NOT GO HAND-IN-HAND. IF YOU GET MORE POWER OUT OF A GIVEN ENGINE, YOU HAVE TO BURN MORE FUEL "IN THAT ENGINE." CHANGING THE ORIGINAL CONFIGURATION OF THE ENGINE WILL AFFECT YOUR FUEL MILEAGE. I HAVE 45 YEARS EXPERIENCE AS AN ASE MECHANIC AND I HAVE BUILT MORE HOT-RODS THAN YOU HAVE EVER SEEN SEEN. GET REAL!
If your aim is more power and you take advantage of that extra power then yes, you will use more fuel. However, if the engine doesn't have to work as hard to produce the same amount of power you have upped the efficiency.

I have a ram-air intake and Corsa exhaust on my 5.3L Silverado and driving efficiently I get 2MPG better than stock (3MPG better on the highway) because it's not working as hard to pump the air in and out.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had the K&N 69-7077TTK on my car for a tank of gas (300 miles roughly).

At 70 mph on the highway it got approximately 27.X MPG, with my stock box on it, I get 33 range. Hills and accelerating are a different story but no matter what, the MPG went DOWN period.

I put the stock box back on and guess what, my K&N intake is for sale. I decided I wanted the better mpg and less noise over the obvious increase in power it had... Which I have to admit, I miss but oh well..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Aka Roller Toaster said:

At 70 mph on the highway it got approximately 27.X MPG, with my stock box on it, I get 33 range. Hills and accelerating are a different story but no matter what, the MPG went DOWN period.

I put the stock box back on and guess what, my K&N intake is for sale. I decided I wanted the better mpg and less noise over the obvious increase in power it had... Which I have to admit, I miss but oh well..
Hey Toaster,

so did you FEEL the increase in power (ALL 7 HP of it :p). I am curious because I wanted to get a K&N. Are you positive that mpg went down????Consistently after fillups.....

·
Registered
91 Posts
DTK_Cube said:
Aka Roller Toaster said:

Hey Toaster,

so did you FEEL the increase in power (ALL 7 HP of it :p). I am curious because I wanted to get a K&N. Are you positive that mpg went down????Consistently after fillups.....

Well I bought Toasters intake and I do definetly feel a differnece in power. I also recently added a Stillen exhaust. I drive 80 miles daily all freeway and I can tell you since I switched from stock im getting better milage (that is when I stay off the gas and punching it). Before stock i was always at 30.8-31.2 after the mods its anywhere from 32.1-34.2. But if i am driving around town I get 29.1-30.5. I normally drive anywhere from 70-75 mph

·
Registered
55 Posts
I heard once that warm air into the motor, better fuel milage. Cold air, more power. Warm or hot air make fuel light easier, and the colder the air the more fuel can get into the motor, hence NOS.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
SFD33 said:
I heard once that warm air into the motor, better fuel milage. Cold air, more power. Warm or hot air make fuel light easier, and the colder the air the more fuel can get into the motor, hence NOS.
Do you care about your intake getting hot air while in traffic,stop,red light? That's maybe the the only circonstance the engine will get some hot air with a sri. I assure you while driving, it will get enough fresh air.It's more an misunderstood myth going around for so long.

My point is, you can't care about performance gain/mpg from a intake while on idle.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts