Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I was thinking about installing the nissan sports horn in my cube. I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but not at all an auto mechanic. In fact, I have not even purchased a service manual for the cube.
Anyway, after checking with the nissan dealer, I found that the sports horn for the cube is only $65 ..... Wow! Sounds like a pretty good deal [A lot of beep for the buck :p, sorry]. Well, next I checked with the service dept. for a price on installing the horn. Now that's a different story .... $285 :eek:. Now that price is based on having to remove the front bumper in order to unplug the old horn, and plug in the new one. He said that is a 3 hour job at $95 per hour. If that is the case, then the stock horn is already sounding better. Has anyone tried this without removing the bumper?

·
Registered
839 Posts
relicxdude said:
Hello everyone. I was thinking about installing the nissan sports horn in my cube. I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but not at all an auto mechanic. In fact, I have not even purchased a service manual for the cube.
Anyway, after checking with the nissan dealer, I found that the sports horn for the cube is only $65 ..... Wow! Sounds like a pretty good deal [A lot of beep for the buck :p, sorry]. Well, next I checked with the service dept. for a price on installing the horn. Now that's a different story .... $285 :eek:. Now that price is based on having to remove the front bumper in order to unplug the old horn, and plug in the new one. He said that is a 3 hour job at $95 per hour. If that is the case, then the stock horn is already sounding better. Has anyone tried this without removing the bumper?
I haven't replaced my horn yet but others here have. From what I've read the horn(s) are can be replaced without removal of the bumper as stated in the service manual. Maybe one of those that's done theirs will chime in soon - Dan

·
2,084 Posts
I have done this. You do not even remotely need to follow the service manual on this one. To remove the front bumper to access this is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ridiculous! I installed the WOLO Bad Boy in the factory location using the factory wiring. All the wile doing this from below the vehicle. The stock horn has no power so I hope the Sports horn comes with a relay, if it doesn't, the sports horn has no power either. The WOLO blew the relay after 2 blows. I have to get mine fixed then follow the directions for installing on a motor cycle. Use the supplied relay! This makes it a relay on a relay!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So does that mean, without adding another relay, the sports horn will not be any louder? I will do some more research, but hopefully , as you say, the relay will come with the sports horn [if that is what it takes to make the sound I heard on Youtube]. Thanks for ray of hope Christine. Is this going to require small hands, and large patience too? :-\

·
Registered
839 Posts
relicxdude said:
So does that mean, without adding another relay, the sports horn will not be any louder? I will do some more research, but hopefully , as you say, the relay will come with the sports horn [if that is what it takes to make the sound I heard on Youtube]. Thanks for ray of hope Christine. Is this going to require small hands, and large patience too? :-\
If you're installing a factory Nissan sports horn you should get everything you need in the kit. - Dan

·
2,084 Posts
Small hands and patients, no not really, it is a little tight. As long as you don't have lumber jack arms you should be OK.

If the horn does not have a relay, take it back, it wont be that much better than stock. The WOLO is ridiculous loud.

I did read the manual and saw the Nissan recommended way of doing this and then did it myself.

·
2,084 Posts
Don't know yet. I blew the stock relay before I found out. The WOLO is an air horn. I wondered the same thing. So once I get things back and I reinstall the WOLO I will use both horns.

The stock will handle the notifications if the compressor wont kick in on the WOLO air horn for such a short blast. If the air horn does work with the door locks I will probably disable that function as it is way too loud. Locking my doors at 2am may anger the neighbors. :p

I got the same horn for my Honda Fit too.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't get any answers on if there is a relay included from the parts dept. So, I will let everyone know how it works out ..... I just ordered one. Will know in a few days. Thanks for the help, and the hope. Oh ,and I was going to to get a couple of those little utility pouches to hang on the back doors .....$60 a pair. WOW! Am I cheap, or does this sound way too high for a little cloth bag, just big enough to hold a cell phone? :eek:

·
Registered
657 Posts
relicxdude said:
thats bs...i dont think you need any bumper removing.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, here is my interesting story for today ..... I decided to drop off the cube at the dealer this morning to get it's recall parts swapped out. While I was there, I checked to see if the sports horn had arrived..... It had. I asked the service manager to give me a price on installing it the non-bumper removal way. I told him the service manual is wrong, and it can be installed from beneath the car, and that I knew someone who had already done it in more like an hour [rather than three]. He said he would need to consult with his "technician" first, and he would call me at work, and let me know. Two hours later he called, and said "My technician says that the bumper must be removed in order to install the horn". :eek: :mad: :roll: 8) I said that's okay, don't worry about the horn, I'll do it........ I know a pettite, blonde girly girl who changed out her cubes horn easily without removing the bumper. He asked me how?
I said there is a plastic splash shield between the front bumper , and the radiator ... remove the five hex head screws, and six removable plastic rivets ... then you can reach srtaight up and do a quick, easy job. He went back, and told him the "girly girl" story, and called me back, and said "Is $65 okay?". I said good enough. Christine, you are my hero. :yes:
Yes, the relay is included with the two horns. Yes, they are louder than the stock one. I would say it is now loud enough to get someone's attention, but not loud enough to scare anyone [it would still bow before the WALO].
Thanks to everyone whom contributed to "Operation horn swap". [Even though I did not actually end up doing the work, I gained enough knowledge to get a fair enough price]. ;D

·
Registered
839 Posts
ChristineK said:
One is glad to be of service 8)

I do sometimes come up with stuff, it is getting people to believe me is the problem. :p
I seem to run in to the same issue...LOL. Aloha, Dan

·
Registered
253 Posts
I for one can't see spending $65 on a pair of normal car horns which the Nissan "sports horns" are. You can go to the local Autozone or whatever and pick up a pair of normal horns for less than 20 bucks and get the same sound. It's just that the "sports horns" have Nissan's name on them... Wow. :roll:

What I plan on doing IF there's enough room, and it looks like there will be, I'm going to get two pairs of the Hella Twin Supertone horns and fit them behind the grill. They're only $58 a pair (or cheaper), sound really good and are definitely loud. I feel these are a much better buy than the Nissan horns which make the Cube sound like an American car! Yuck!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts