Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you already know, I’m not a big fan of HID conversions into Halogen housings. The reason is because past experience has shown me that the combination simply doesn’t work. The light produced by a HID bulb isn’t positioned to properly distribute it’s output via the Halogen housing’s reflector and diffuser (lens). This results in a scattered beam usually causing discomfort and blindness to oncoming traffic with no benefit to the driver of the car with the conversion, other than to make onlookers see that he / she has HID’s.

Well I started doing more research on the subject because I for one, have to say the Cube’s low beams are mediocre at best. And I do a lot of night time driving on twisty mountain roads and often times in search of an address in the dark.

Anyway, I thought I would give HID conversions another look. It seems the HID conversions have come a long way. Many of the current offerings have addressed the correct positioning of the HID light source to properly utilize the Halogen housings, and direct the beam to project properly via the Halogen housing’s reflector and diffuser.

Unlike the early conversions that simply used HID bulbs designed to be used in projector type housings, the industry has made changes and have developed HID bulbs specifically designed for Halogen conversion.

With this information I decided to experiment with my Cube’s headlights and install a HID conversion.

I haven’t got my conversion kit yet, but more to come soon. Aloha, Dan

·
Registered
161 Posts
.....I hope to put mine in this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. I agree, I hate those "bulbs". It's the projector part that makes it work.

I have an extra step, as I have to change the DRLs, but that's actually looking pretty easy.

Cheers!

Dang

·
Registered
328 Posts
I was going to try HID's also. Let me know how it looks.

And are you from Hawaii? Just wondering cause of the Aloha. I've only see stock Cubes in Hawaii and want to know if anyone else here is doing anything to their car.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TheGuy said:
I was going to try HID's also. Let me know how it looks.

And are you from Hawaii? Just wondering cause of the Aloha. I've only see stock Cubes in Hawaii and want to know if anyone else here is doing anything to their car.
I'm no lighting expert but have been doing a ton of research on the subject. As said, I'm not a big fan of conversions. But the Cubes low beams suck so I have to try something.

I'm from HI but left meny years ago. Grew up in Kalihi, have lots of family in Waipahu and Ewa. - Aloha, Dan

·
Registered
167 Posts
I got the 8000K off ebay for under $50.00 I love them but I bought the wrong ones. I should have gotten the bixenon so my lows and high beams will work. Now I just have low beams but I can see just fine with them. I heard TNHP are issuing $250 fines for blueish tinted headlights so you may want to go with 4000 to 6000K to avoid any trouble with the law. Mine aren't blue blue but you can tell they are not factory color.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey Dan, can you tell us which kit you are going with and why you choose it over the many others which are out there?

I have to agree about the Cube's low beams, their cut off is way too short or low. I think the high beams are good, but its my understanding to adjust the low beam so that it shoots out further the high beam will also raise up, which would not be good.

I'm really interested to hear your report when you get them installed.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AGCube said:
Hey Dan, can you tell us which kit you are going with and why you choose it over the many others which are out there?

I have to agree about the Cube's low beams, their cut off is way too short or low. I think the high beams are good, but its my understanding to adjust the low beam so that it shoots out further the high beam will also raise up, which would not be good.

I'm really interested to hear your report when you get them installed.
I'll post us as soon as I decide which one to go with as well as my results.

Unfortunately the low beam cut off is something our government has prescribed, and you're absolutely correct. The High beams work just fine. And adjusting the low beams up for better visability will indeed make the high beams too high. My objective is to keep the upper cutoff intact in low beam while at the same time projecting the light beam out forward farther.

Hope to have my results in a few days. Aloha, Dano

·
Registered
672 Posts
It's interesting that you mentioned the poor low beams. I get Consumer Reports magazine, and as part of their car tests, they report on headlights. The Cube came up short in that area. You'd think that since cars have been around for over 100 years, they would know how to make good headlights. Even with regular haolgen bulbs, some cars have good lights, and some are not-so-good.

Jerry

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jerryc41 said:
It's interesting that you mentioned the poor low beams. I get Consumer Reports magazine, and as part of their car tests, they report on headlights. The Cube came up short in that area. You'd think that since cars have been around for over 100 years, they would know how to make good headlights. Even with regular haolgen bulbs, some cars have good lights, and some are not-so-good.

Jerry
Jerry, the issue as I understand it is that current offerings use a new standard to flatten out the top of the low beams to keep the light out of peoples back window and into their rear view mirror. As well as to lower the risk of blinding oncoming traffic. This has been accomplished, but the industry is still using out dated bulbs that when used with these new standards don't project the light out forward far enough. Just as the HID conversion folks have done in designing HID bulbs to work well in Halogen housings, eventually the halogen bulbs will be redesigned as well to address this issue. Until then, all we can do is experiment to accomplish all the above. Aloha, Dano

·
Registered
929 Posts
I find the low beams to be quite good. In fact, I am looking for a way to tone them down, as people keep flashing their brights at me :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
none said:
I find the low beams to be quite good. In fact, I am looking for a way to tone them down, as people keep flashing their brights at me :(
I was going to say the same thing, in fact an improvement from my old Camry. I was looking at installing the DRLs instead. To each their own I suppose, but glad I wasn't the only one who thought this.

·
2,084 Posts
I have seen many of these kits and I am leery of those E-Bay ones. I bought an old system to convert my old S-10 from big bulb to halogen and the bulbs were hot but the hookup was a mess. I have even seen people get water in there HID setups here on NCL, not cool, you will never clear that lens back out.

I will wait to see the ultimate kit that performs well on the Cube and let you all test it out first. I will play with other items first ;)

Christine

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ChristineK said:
I have seen many of these kits and I am leery of those E-Bay ones. I have even seen people get water in there HID setups here on NCL, not cool, you will never clear that lens back out.
Christine
Christine you have some valid concerns. But like my head unit, it's from an eBay seller and directly from China at about 1/4 the price of a "Name Brand". It works GREAT including the GPS. I'll put it up against ANY name brand unit.

And HID's, like my head unit. Even if it's from an eBayer or directly from China that's not a good reason to toss it out. It's all about research. I researched many hours before selecting my head unit and am completely satisfied with my end result.

If the HID’s come from a manufacture that’s ISO-9001 Certified who cares where it comes from. Like my HU, I’ll research the crap out of them till I find what I’m looking for….then cross my fingers for satisfactory results.

A lot of things we buy today, even items sold as “USA” are actually from China sold via a middle man who’s making a ton of profit.

This also happened with my 4 post lift. I attended an event in Daytona several years ago and talked to many vendors selling lifts. Several of them said to stay away from lifts from China. Eagle Lifts was one of those vendors.

I also visited the Direct Lift booth, they were honest and told me they buy direct from China. I compared the Direct Lift to the Eagle and they were IDENTICAL other than the color. They had the exact same pieces, even the electric / hydraulic motor / pump combination were identical right down to the data plate.

I got the Direct for $2500.00 delivered and installed. The folks from Eagle wanted $3899.00 for theirs plus $500.00 delivery and another $350.00 for setup.

My Direct lift worked GREAT and I never had a problem with it in 5 years of use. Unfortunately I had to leave it behind when we moved. But I’ll get another one at some point.

Oh, as far as moisture in the housing is concerned it’s easy to remove. Just hook a vacuum cleaner hose to the bulb socket, turn on the vacuum and let it run for a while. The vacuum will boil out the moisture just like a vacuum pump boils out the moisture when vacuuming out an AC system prior to a re-charge. – Aloha, Dano

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I finally decided on a kit to test on my Cube. I should have it in a few days. Once I install it I'll post up my results good or bad. Aloha, Dano

·
Registered
672 Posts
What did you order?

Jerry

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jerryc41 said:
What did you order?
Jerry
Jerry, all this will be disclosed once I've recieved, installed, and evaluated them. This way if they turn out good or bad I'll be able to post my thoughts. Aloha, Dano

·
Registered
175 Posts
What kind of kit do we need..... I'm looking at a "Auto H4, 9004, 9007 Bi-Xenon 2 in 1 Digital Ballast HID Kit" would that be good?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
CubeRich said:
What kind of kit do we need..... I'm looking at a "Auto H4, 9004, 9007 Bi-Xenon 2 in 1 Digital Ballast HID Kit" would that be good?
I'm not sure what all that means. But the Cube uses an HB2 bulb which crosses to an H4 and 9003. If you want to have both high and low beams you will want a Bi-xenon kit. Preferably one with digital ballasts. Some have the ignitor built into the ballast while others the ignitor and ballast are seperate units. I prefer both in one housing.

Just read as much as you can before buying. Make sure they're manufactured in an ISO-9001 certified facility. Also prices will vary greatly. Many of the high costs units are identical to the low cost units made in the same facility. But are sold under a brand name through a US vendor with claims they're american made, but the truth is they're sold through that vendor with a high profit markup.

Another thing to look for is who makes the components. If they use Bosch and / or Hella you should be good to go.

·
2,084 Posts
Square1 said:
Oh, as far as moisture in the housing is concerned it’s easy to remove. Just hook a vacuum cleaner hose to the bulb socket, turn on the vacuum and let it run for a while. The vacuum will boil out the moisture just like a vacuum pump boils out the moisture when vacuuming out an AC system prior to a re-charge. – Aloha, Dano
So how does this deal with minerals and contaminates in the water that will be left behind once the water is gone? Like I said you will never get it cleared again. It will have visible artifacts in there forever.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ChristineK said:
So how does this deal with minerals and contaminates in the water that will be left behind once the water is gone? Like I said you will never get it cleared again. It will have visible artifacts in there forever.
True, this won't get out any crap that's in there but the introduction of moisture shouldn't bring in any debris anyway. If there is any debris in the housing it should simply fall to the bottom once the moisture holding it in place has been removed. I'm simply talking about how to remove MOISTURE....period.

Many HL housings will get moisture in them simply due to temprature change or going through a car wash etc., not a huge collection, but enough to notice. The vacuuming technique only address moisture removal. No matter how well your HL housing is sealed it's still subject to accumulating moisture due to a variety of reasons. But the vacuum method works. Anything beyond pure moisture is a whole different topic. Aloha, Dano

1 - 20 of 35 Posts