Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys after viewing a few pics i want to join the crowd and drop my cube maybe 1.5 Now the problem here is that i don't know exactly what i need to do to make that happen.. Is it something i can do myself or is it something a professional needs to do.. I by no means am mechanically inclined but I can achieve few basic tasks. I keep reading the different lingo involved to lower but its all Greek to me.. lol So if anyone would like to help I'd appreciate it very much ...

·
Registered
222 Posts
At the very least, you'll need lowering springs, but ideally you replace your struts/shocks too for optimal ride quality.

You can also opt for coilovers which are height-adjustable (and sometimes dampening-adjustable) which basically includes the struts AND shocks.

Take a look at this article for what is involved in the suspension installation:
http://www.nicoclub.com/articles/project-cube/cube-drop.shtml

·
Registered
148 Posts
schtebie....put you on the path......

now IMO.....I would find friends/acquaintances that have either a lowering spring/strut combination of some type or coilovers and let them take you around the block to get a rough idea of the advantages and disadvantages of this type of mod. Ask then for there opinion and research research research......People in every forum I have been in quickly drop there car (including me) and realize 6 months later that there ride is shit and rattling there teeth out......for something like this which is serious IMO take your time don't rush. Even though it is not low it ride well for now and see who all is going to make parts for this car. The megan's are aight but I have had hit or miss with megan racing products....

as far as modding it you can do it if you feel confident enough or let a performance shop do it but either way MAKE SURE YOU ALIGN YOUR SHIT AFTERWARDS....seen to many people not get alignments which contribute to my above statement.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
schtebie said:
At the very least, you'll need lowering springs, but ideally you replace your struts/shocks too for optimal ride quality.

You can also opt for coilovers which are height-adjustable (and sometimes dampening-adjustable) which basically includes the struts AND shocks.

Take a look at this article for what is involved in the suspension installation:

Thanks alot I will be reading up on that pretty soon.. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
killercube said:
schtebie....put you on the path......

now IMO.....I would find friends/acquaintances that have either a lowering spring/strut combination of some type or coilovers and let them take you around the block to get a rough idea of the advantages and disadvantages of this type of mod. Ask then for there opinion and research research research......People in every forum I have been in quickly drop there car (including me) and realize 6 months later that there ride is shit and rattling there teeth out......for something like this which is serious IMO take your time don't rush. Even though it is not low it ride well for now and see who all is going to make parts for this car. The megan's are aight but I have had hit or miss with megan racing products....

as far as modding it you can do it if you feel confident enough or let a performance shop do it but either way MAKE SURE YOU ALIGN YOUR SHIT AFTERWARDS....seen to many people not get alignments which contribute to my above statement.
I really appreciate the heads up on this mod, I realy did not have any idea of the pro's and con's of doing this Im coming from a Big Vehicle Family Tahoes and such so I never have had anything lower that a foot and a half off the ground.. I thank you for posting the reply I will def. do my research and and maybe think about going through with it ..

·
Registered
671 Posts
schtebie said:

Eddie -- unless you intend to perform a major drop, your factory struts and shocks should be fine. If they were old, I wouldn't say that, but they're new! However, a 1.5" drop is approaching major and so you may want to check with Nissan and see what they recommend regarding the shocks.

Don't go to coilovers unless you are looking for a tight racing suspension. They are adjustable and allow you to go pretty low, but the ride will seriously stiffen. I personally suggest replacing the OE springs with a lowering variety for normal street service. Also, be aware the more you lower, the more susceptible the car is for scraping on speed bumps, driveway entries/exits, potholes, etc. Make sure you think through your plans on this.

PS. It's not that difficult to replace springs, but it can be extremely dangerous if not done correctly -- people have been killed. So, be circumspect!

·
Registered
222 Posts
TrevorS said:
schtebie said:

Eddie -- unless you intend to perform a major drop, your factory struts and shocks should be fine. If they were old, I wouldn't say that, but they're new! However, a 1.5" drop is approaching major and so you may want to check with Nissan and see what they recommend regarding the shocks.

Don't go to coilovers unless you are looking for a tight racing suspension. They are adjustable and allow you to go pretty low, but the ride will seriously stiffen. I personally suggest replacing the OE springs with a lowering variety for normal street service. Also, be aware the more you lower, the more susceptible the car is for scraping on speed bumpos, driveway entries/exits, potholes, etc. Make sure you think through your plans on this.

PS. It's not that difficult to replace springs, but it can be extremely dangerous if not done correctly -- people have been killed. So, be circumspect!

The spring rates for the coilovers is not worse than lowering springs.

·
Registered
671 Posts
schtebie said:
The spring rates for the coilovers is not worse than lowering springs.
I've yet to read a report of coilovers providing anywhere near a factory ride, whereas spring replacement typically provides variable rates resulting in similar to factory at low excursion, though higher rate (as clearly required) at higher excursion -- you don't want to hit the suspension limits.

Still, Eddie -- Your choice, just be aware of the pros/cons of whatever you choose.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I've lowered probably 100 cars over the past 8 years and used a variety of springs and coilovers.

I would say about half of the cars I lowered using springs retained an almost stock like ride, the other half rode anywhere from noticeably firmer to very firm, almost to the point of being uncomfortable. Most of the spring setups dropped from about 1.5" to 2". Various manufactures. There were even differences with springs by one manufacture on the same make and model cars.

Most of the coilovers we used made the car's pretty tight (stiff), but they could also go a lot lower than the spring setup. One company (I can't remember who they are) had a set of coilovers that actually let the car go down very low but it still had a very similar ride as the stock springs. I'm trying to locate the guy I did that setup for to find out who made his coilovers. I just did too many to remember all the manufactures specifics.

As someone mentioned earlier. Try to find other Cube owners who have already lowered their car and ask for a ride. I know this sounds simple, but it really isn’t easy unless you’re in a club of sorts.

Next best thing is to do exactly what you’re doing now, research, research, research and ask TONS of questions. But don’t read the manufacture’s advertisement and take it as gospel or you will get burned.

Most manufactures are pretty straight forward, but lets face it. I don’t think any of them is honest to the point where they’re going to tell you “Our Coilovers / Springs ride like crap”….LOL

Not trying to slam any aftermarket manufacture, but what may ride awful to you may be sweet to someone else.

Just to let you know, most of the suspension’s I’ve done were on the Ford Focus and HHR. So I had a lot of experience modifying like vehicles for comparison.

Good luck with your Cube. I too plan to lower mine. But at this point I’m like you and don’t have enough feedback from other’s to decide yet.

What we learned on the Focus is that a drop on springs no more than 2”, you could still get pretty good service life from the stock springs and struts, but anything more than 2” would kill the front struts in a hurry. We found very similar results with the HHR’s we lowered as well. - Dan

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think after reading a few replies i might reconsider the whole lowering process . Not that it scared me away and all, But I believe that i should really consider riding in a Dropped (lowered) vehicle beforehand. My cube is a bit low as it is already, And i guess I'm just trying to follow the crowd. I will be purchasing some new wheels soon and i guess i can go from there.. I do appreciate everyone's input on this and that's why i can say I am a proud member of a very informative , fun forum. Thank y'all for all your advice and all will be greatly considered.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Thanks for chiming in Dan, your lowering experience is very helpful :)!

Eddie said:
I will be purchasing some new wheels soon and i guess i can go from there.
One last thought Eddie, since you're planning on changing your rims, it's probably a good idea to make that change before lowering. If you go to taller rims, the ride will become firmer (this is due to less sidewall cushioning). Just another factor to consider :).

·
Registered
839 Posts
TrevorS said:
Thanks for chiming in Dan, your lowering experience is very helpful :)!
One last thought Eddie, since you're planning on changing your rims, it's probably a good idea to make that change before lowering. If you go to taller rims, the ride will become firmer (this is due to less sidewall cushioning). Just another factor to consider :).
Thanks Trevor, I've been doing this a long time and enjoy sharing my experiences.

You bring up a very good point on how much tire and wheel selection cam impact ride quality. I won't run anything larger than a 17" wheel. I like a good sidewall for both comfort and wheel protection.

Like I always tell people. Everything automotive has compromises. A lowered suspension looks great, but it usually sacrifices some degree of ride quality, but then again, it usually improves handling.

Tuning for better performance usually decreases gas mileage. Manufactures understand this and tune for fuel mileage to meet Café’ mileage requirements as well as the ability to run regular gas, so we lose a bit of performance and can run on regular gas. Generally speaking, if you tune your engine to it best performance you will most likely require a higher octane (slower burning) gas (more costly).

That’s the beauty of hot rodding. Everyone has choices, we do what we like to please ourselves and hope others agree with our decisions. What’s beauty in one’s eye may be another’s eye sore…LOL - Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts