Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cube didn't come with this installed. I'd love to have it. I can get the kit for around $205 on Ebay after shipping and bing cash back. I called several Nissan places and got quotes for installation. One told me $100, 2 others told me $300.

Has anyone installed this kit themselves? If so, how hard is it? I'd rather not pay $100-$300 to get this installed.

Thanks

·
Registered
161 Posts
sega_102....

I'm doing it this weekend. There is some drilling of the plastic parts in the cup holder involved. Did you download the instructions?

It would depend how handy you are doing this sort of thing. Not harder than installing a stereo I would think.

Dang

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dang said:
sega_102....

I'm doing it this weekend. There is some drilling of the plastic parts in the cup holder involved. Did you download the instructions?

It would depend how handy you are doing this sort of thing. Not harder than installing a stereo I would think.

Dang
Where did you get the instructions? If I had those, I'd know if I could do it. I've installed several stereos, so I think I am capable. I don't mind drilling.

Christine,

Ebay has 8% bing cash back. It works with anything that has a buy it now. Just go to bing, search for Xbox 360, click on the Ebay sponsored link, then search for what you want.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have thought about buying a $50 kit off eBay & wiring it up. Just connect two wires to power/ground, and hide the lights here and there. No big deal.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey sega_102,

I believe the link to the installation instructions (and other Cube docs) was supplied courtesy of 'Dang'. You should do a search, but in the mean time, I've attached the one you asked about

Good luck with it,
Guy

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the instructions...

The only thing that really concerns me is removing the pillar. I don't understand why you even have to do this. I would be concerned over breaking clips.

Besides removing the pillar, the install doesn't look too hard.

Let me know how it goes. If it's not too hard, I'll order a kit next week.

Thanks

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sorry guys, I got tied up last weekend and did not get to the accent lighting. :no:

I bought the cube with no options, and am doing a whole whack of both factory and aftermarket mods.

Shag Topper: Done
Cargo Storage: Done
Winter mats: Done
New Front Grill: Done
Chrome Front Fasia Trim: To Do
Interior Accent Lighting: To Do
Lighted door sills: To Do
Interior Applique (Red): To Do
Injen Intake: To Do
Nose Mask: To Do
Chrome Mirror covers (If I decide I like them): To Do
Splash Guards: To Do
17" rims (as soon as I decide which ones, but have TMPS sensors), also swap rims for winters: To Do
Bolt Kit for Engine: To Do
Stillen Exhaust: To Do
GPS Azantek Mirror: To Do
Bi-Xenon Projector Headlights (and rewire fogs as DRL): To Do
LED Interior kit: To Do

I actually have all these parts sitting in my garage, just need to find the time to get it all installed. Some (like the fasia) are a bit hard because it's too cold here to install them.
Some, like the door sills and the accent lighting make sense to do at the same time, as you have to remove many of the same parts. Some, like the nose mask, don't make sense to do until you do others, like the Xenons, as I have to remove the head light assemblies and disassemble.

Hopefully I progress further this weekend.

Cheers!

Dang

·
Registered
672 Posts
I installed this kit in October, and I was surprised at how much work I had to do. I've installed after-market LEDs before, and as someone said, connect the power wires, and you're good to go.

I would recommend some good nylon/plastic panel removal tools to avoid scratching anything. Also, be sure to disconnect the neg batt cable.

Once they are in, they do work nice. You can have them turn on when a door opens, and there are several settings for cycling through colors, etc.

Jerry

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jerryc41 said:
I installed this kit in October, and I was surprised at how much work I had to do. I've installed after-market LEDs before, and as someone said, connect the power wires, and you're good to go.

I would recommend some good nylon/plastic panel removal tools to avoid scratching anything. Also, be sure to disconnect the neg batt cable.

Once they are in, they do work nice. You can have them turn on when a door opens, and there are several settings for cycling through colors, etc.

Jerry
Thanks,

I just ordered the kit last night. I got it for 197 shipped. I am going to spend about 10-15 dollars on some nylon panel removal tools and I should be set. I'm hoping to get the lights insatlled next weekend. I think this is one of the coolest features of the cube.

How long did it take you to install the kit? Will it wipe out my whole weekend?

·
Registered
672 Posts
I don't like to rush things, so I take my time. It would be safe to allot the weekend, and then you'll be happy when you finish on Saturday. If you rish and make a mistake or break something, that can last a long time.

Some tips - Take pictures as you disassemble.
Get some zip-lock baggies for individual parts, and label them with a marker. After a few hours, even the best memory can play tricks on you.
Have a small, bright flashlight on hand to look behind things and see why something isn't coming off.
Enjoy the job and think of the labor charges you are saving.

Jerry

·
Registered
161 Posts
Did this myself this today.

I did the accent lighting, the lighted door sills, the applique, the front fasia, and did the wiring for my GPS mirror (though did not mount it yet.) About 6 hours total, but some remove the same parts.

The hardest part of the accent lighting, by far, is trying to get the covers out in the cup holder to remove the centre console. They have 4 tabs holding them in, so are quite hard to remove without prying (which will damage them.)

The A pillar is actually really easy. Just grab at the top rear and pull. The top catch will release, then the second one, then it will lift out. Pretty simple.

The instructions are quite good. The only thing I did differently is wired in the tie wraps for the right hand light while putting the glove box back in. I think that's easier then trying to fish them through once it's all done.

Cheers!

Dang

P.S.
Next is mud flag, Xenons, finishing the GPS, intake and exhaust. The Hids are going to be a challenge I think.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Sounds like you had a productive day. I put HIDs in my son's Civic yesterday in about 40 min. I was surprised at how fast they went in. I got them from vvme.com for $59 delivered. He's ordering extra bulbs cause you can't just walk into Auto Zone and get them.

I'd like to see pics of the mirror when you get it in.

Jerry

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hey jerryc...

I'm not doing bulbs for the hids, but actually changing the housings to projector assemblies. It means removing the headlights and disassembling them to install. I also have to change the way the DRLs work. (I'm going to make them the fog lights.)

Hopefully next weekend.

Cheers!

Dang

·
Registered
672 Posts
What kind of projectors did you get?

Jerry

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi JerryC....

It's a bi-xenon kit from these guys:
http://www.rsi-hid.com/product_p/rsiprojretro.htm

You disassemble the light and put the HID in from the front. It's supposed to be able to move the lights when you turn on the high beams. (they basically go up to emulate a high beam)
The instructions are Chinese translator to English, so not great, but the lights themselves seem pretty good.

Being in Canada, I've got the extra step of doing something with the DRLs, as I don't imagine the hids would like a pulsed signal. I plan to move them so the fog lights are the DRLs.

Taking the headlights apart is a challenge of course, but I've done it before. It takes a little bit of heat and a lot of patience.

Cheers!

Dang

·
Registered
672 Posts
They look like fantastic lights, but it sounds like taking the Cube headlights apart is a bit of a job. Using "a bit of heat" is not something I feel like doing.

Where in Canada are you? I'm in the Catskills Mts of NY.

Jerry

·
Registered
161 Posts
Jerry....

I'm in Calgary Alberta, though am at the Phoenix airport as I type this. (a conference in Palm Springs this week.)

It's "very" easy to break the plastic tabs on the lights when taking them apart. It's always a nail biter, but I'm prepared to buy new lights if I really screw it up.

We'll see how it goes.

Cheers!

Dan

1 - 20 of 20 Posts