Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Ok, after reading gohmathew's post, I decided to read the FSM (TM section if anyone wants to read). Here's what I found:

(Article covers steps found on TM-19 and TM-20 of the FSM. This is a paraphrasing. Please read the FSM if you ever attempt this, and as always I assume no responsibility for what you do to your car. If you aren't a competent mechanic do not attempt this, blah blah blah.)

Like stated several posts above, the shift knob does just pull off.

As also stated, the FSM warns you not to reinstall a shift knob that has been pulled off, but rather to replace it. I'm sure there is some kind of device, etc. that allows it to mount firmer when it is pressed on, and when it is removed this function is rendered ineffective. Does that mean it can't be re-used? No. I'm sure this is just an extra CYA policy on Nissan's part, and maybe even an income booster. They probably buy those knobs for 2$ and charge you 60$ when you have a service that requires removal (even though at that point, 60$ would be the least of your problems and expenses, My $.02)

It does remove from the bottom of the car, and it looks to be somewhat of a PITA to get out. Honestly looks like about 1.5 to 2 hours probably if we were to get a short shifter, and that is predicting that everything goes right... anyone who has ever worked on a vehicle KNOWS nothing ever goes right, even when you work to ensure you're doing things correctly.

Our car is a cable shift vehicle.

Removal Process of whole shifter.

1. Pop off the knob.

2. Remove console.

3. Remove harness clips.

4. There are four bolts holding the shifter down to remove.

5. Remove the intake.

6. Remove the battery.

7. Remove Shifter Cables connected to the transmission.

8. Remove the brackets securing the Shifter Cables to the transmission and the lock plates holding the cables down.

9. Remove the Center Muffler (Pictured in the thread "Surprise Exhaust" in the "Engine and Transmission" board), Remove the front pipe, and remove the front heat shield.

10. There are two tabs holding the shifter assembly to the tunnel. Once these have been depressed, you can get the shifter assembly out through the bottom of the car.

Installation is the reverse of removal ;).

Somehow all of this makes me think that if you just want a shift knob, you're going to work for it. I'd be game. Also, since the company would have to make a pretty complicated shifter assembly, I would expect to pay upwards of 250-300 for said short shifter. Make sure you buy an expensive knob, as I could not personally justify this expense for an "Autozone special" "Chrome Cobra" shifter for 5$.

If someone will undertake the process of making a shifter, I will pay and install the beast though, because all Manual Transmission cars deserve a custom knob!!!

How a topic about removing a shift knob became a topic about removing the shifter, I'll never know, even though I'm the one to blame ^^. Oh yeah, because Nissan couldn't be normal and give us a threaded shifter. :mad: :roll:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Wonder if it's possible to just have the threads cut or tapped into the top of the stock shifter.........you know, have it threaded ???

·
2,084 Posts
Starbuck said:
Wonder if it's possible to just have the threads cut or tapped into the top of the stock shifter.........you know, have it threaded ???
That is always an option. You may buy a thread cutting kit at Homer or Lowe's for pretty cheap. I have used them for odd jobs or fixing stripped threads. Do not use this for structural items like wheel studs!

If you want to shorten the throw just use a dremmel to short the stick and the thread cutter to adapt the new shift knob.

NOTE: Not for the automatic/CVT! ;)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yeah...............don't try anything with the auto. :no:
Not sure about shortening the shifter itself. Would it affect the reverse lockout? Thinking you could just thread what there is and not shorten the length of the shifter itself. That may require aftermarket design...............

·
Registered
263 Posts
Here is the reply from Agency Power:

Thank you for your email. The Nissan Cube is a great car. We will
seriously consider making a shifter and other parts for this model. Check
our website periodically and look for updates. I will also send an email
with updates too.

Regards,

Matt Jobin
Agency Power

I've yet to contact B&M.

Cutting a shifter will only make it aesthetically shorter. The shortness in the shifting generally comes from modifying the shifter below the "ball," at the bottom. With cable shifters I don't really know what happens.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts