Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how the Cube holds up to door dings. With the smooth, curved door surface, it seems like it would dent very easily and be very noticeable.

I am very careful to park my car on an end-spot at the far end of the parking lot. However, things happen; sometimes on purpose.

Anybody have any door damage and willing to post a photo? It may help me be prepared for the inevitable.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Japanese cars tend to ding very easily... no way around it. The sheet metal is just very thin (which does help with MPG). The only car I had that deflected door blows was a BMW. That thing was a tank.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Speaking of door dings, the clear coat on the CUBE is garbage. I have purchased my first and last black car. You can practically scratch it with a finger nail :mad:

·
Registered
715 Posts
the best solution is doing double parking spot :D :D :D
no matter how much if an asshole you look yourself...in the end you are the one making the monthly payment so do that, and yeah choose the fartest spot away from whatever store you go and walk those extra steps is worth it believe me

·
Registered
270 Posts
No way would I talk about door d........

You folks are jinxing yourselves! (crossing fingers, toes, performing chants) :-\

:D

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think photomoto must have a point here, because there are not many replies on this thread.
Therefore, I will only comment on remedy here [just in case someone has suffered dings]
Paintless dent repair. Thin sheetmetal also means easier repair.

·
Registered
315 Posts
*puts fingers in ears* lalalalalaa la ala alalalala lalala
not listening.
Jinxers!

·
Registered
315 Posts
not you... lol
I was referring to the fact that I refuse to talk about this topic, just like fotomoto... out of fear I would jinx my Cube and get you-know-what's in my doors.
;)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Let's talk about hope ..... The cube is narrower than most cars, so that is one point of advantage. ;D
Can anyone think of another point of hope? ???

·
Registered
315 Posts
Our Cube looks different... people will never be able to say: "I didn't see your car there"...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Not sure on door dings but I was too tired to be pumping gas yesterday morning after work and I missed the gas hole and took a chunk of paint just above the gas door. I was ticked at myself and oh yes even when you shut the gas door you can see it. STUPID STUPID STUPID! I always say a new car isn't really mine until I scratch it or kill an animal with it. Scratch won this go around.

·
Registered
671 Posts
vfc said:
Just wondering how the Cube holds up to door dings. With the smooth, curved door surface, it seems like it would dent very easily and be very noticeable.

I am very careful to park my car on an end-spot at the far end of the parking lot. However, things happen; sometimes on purpose.

Anybody have any door damage and willing to post a photo? It may help me be prepared for the inevitable.
PDR (Paintless Dent Repair) is your friend. As long as the paint remains intact, it's amazing how unpleasant a dent can be cleanly removed and the panel look new again.

There are different theories on the best place to park for avoiding dents. Some say in the thick of things so that everyone is paying attention to their own cars as well, Others say well away from the fray, however, then one can become a target and this definitely happened to me. If you seriously want to minimize dents, either have a wreck to drive (people tend to give you a wide berth), or else park right next to a lot camera so that if anyone hits you with their door, the evidence will be right there. My inclination is to park as far away from everyone else as practical, but what happens then is the red-neck idiots target you by steering specifically for your car and throwing open their raised pickup truck doors making high positioned deep dents in your doors :(!.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not sure on door dings but I was too tired to be pumping gas yesterday morning after work and I missed the gas hole and took a chunk of paint just above the gas door. I was ticked at myself and oh yes even when you shut the gas door you can see it. STUPID STUPID STUPID! I always say a new car isn't really mine until I scratch it or kill an animal with it. Scratch won this go around.
The first scratch is always painful. I went to Lowes with my F150 and people were walking by pointing at the front of my truck. Stuck inside the nostril grill was a perfectly wedged sparrow bird. I pulled it out so little kids didn't get freaked.

I have done the ole gas nozzle scratch myself on other vehicles and before keyless entry was readily available on vehicles, well lets just say it wasn't pretty.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My old F150 would catch the birds as well. The cube is so slab sided it just seems like a matter of time before the dings start. Are there and body side moulding available that look good?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I saw this post a while ago and said ohhh no. I'm not jinxing myself. Well it happened. I'm n my car @ a dollar tree parking lot parked two spots away from a truck on my driver side. Here comes the owner wit a cart full of things. I'm like hmm ok. I go back to my biz as he was unloading his cart (by the way...super windy out). What happens next....a strong gust of wind wheels that cart so fast and BANG right into my driver door. I screamed WTF and jumped out. After his nemerous pleadings and checking the car....NOT ONE MARK. I wass amazed. So I had my first proof test of it. There is not even a gash or anything. PHEW!!

·
Registered
671 Posts
CubeinRI said:
The cube is so slab sided it just seems like a matter of time before the dings start. Are there and body side moulding available that look good?
Too me, that last sentence is the real problem. For some reason, the boxy cars just don't seem to look right with a door guard along the side. And it has to be a fairly tall one in order to provide enough protection to be worthwhile, I'd say at least three inches, maybe more.

queensgirl1021 said:
What happens next....a strong gust of wind wheels that cart so fast and BANG right into my driver door. I screamed WTF and jumped out. After his nemerous pleadings and checking the car....NOT ONE MARK. I wass amazed. So I had my first proof test of it. There is not even a gash or anything. PHEW!!
Wow! Nary a mark, that really is something. Congratulations!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm not too sure about "dings" but a neighbor (In a Jeep Patriot) backed out way too fast and right into my car while I was entering the parking garage. The damage wasn't terrible, but I can only roll my driver's side window down halfway now.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts