Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The HID kit I bought is from an eBayer. Reading the description I decided to give it a shot. The seller is in the US but I have no idea where the kit is actually manufactured, but according to them the components are Bosch and or Hella and they’re made in an ISO-9001 Certified facility. The instructions are in English and easy to follow. The only thing it didn’t say clearly is that only one of the original headlight connectors is used. It only needs one to power the relay which in turn powers both L&R ballast’s / igniters.

At this point all I can say is they work GREAT and were easy to install. The actual wiring hookup take’s maybe 15 minutes or so. I spent more time trying to decide where to route the wires than anything else. To be honest, I didn’t achieve exactly what I’m after. The beam doesn’t project out forward any farther than the Halogens, but I will say they’re WAY brighter. My primary objective was to add more distance to the light beam without defeating the upper low beam cutoff so I don’t blind oncoming drivers. So it looks like I’m going to have to adjust them up a tad. However, I did more research and read that HID bulbs require a break in period and get better with several hours of use, so I’ll continue to monitor them.

I bought the Bi-Xenon kit because I want both high and low beams. And I opted for the 5000k for maximum visibility. Although as I said, I have no idea as to where this kit originated, there are no markings on the box. But one thing I do know. This kit is a whole lot better than kits I’ve used in the past. Although the beam doesn’t project out farther than the Halogens, the beam isn’t scattered like HID conversions I’ve used in the past.

As you can see in the picture I was able to re-use the rubber boot that seals out moisture. I’ve read that with some kits the boot doesn’t fit. These HID bulbs twist out of the part that is held into the housing by the bulb clip. I just slid the rubber boot onto the base of the bulb (as seen in the picture) then re-inserted the bulb back into it’s housing after the housing was put into place and held in with the wire clip, then I twisted the bulb back in place (doable but not an easy task), but I wanted to retain the boots so it was worth the hassle.

BTW, the eBayer’s auction say’s all their kits are 35 watt. But the kit I got the ballast’s are clearly marked 55 watt.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
The ballasts may very well be 55 watts, but the bulb's might only be 35 watts. Mine are in fact 55 watts (ballasts and bulbs), are 4300k, are the Bi-Xenon type, and are pretty much the same setup as yours, just by a different company.

They are loads brighter than anything else I have come across, including stock BMW's, Lexus', whatever. They are also just pure white. I drive 100 miles every day with them on and can honestly say they have not changed at all in output over the past two weeks of use.

As far as the beam projecting out farther, I've never heard anything about that claim, unless the headlight unit is misaligned. Mine project the same pattern and distance as the stock halogens. I love mine, no doubt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
Looks good.
I wanted to do both my head lights and fogs with hids, 5k and 6/8k. But I just can't justify getting them since there's practically a street lamp every 10-20 feet on the road. So I'd be getting them for looks rather than use.

How much were they and was there any warranty on them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TheGuy said:
Looks good.
I wanted to do both my head lights and fogs with hids, 5k and 6/8k. But I just can't justify getting them since there's practically a street lamp every 10-20 feet on the road. So I'd be getting them for looks rather than use.

How much were they and was there any warranty on them?
I wouldn't have bought them if it wasn't at an AWESOME price. The seller is http://stores.ebay.com/zgperformance and they came with a one year warranty. They sell the kit for $69.00 or so but I offered them $60.00 and they accepted. All in All the kit is worth every penny and although I'm not a fan of HID conversions, this one worked out well. Aloha, Dano
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Hi Dan,

Nice write up with pictures. The price sure does sound good. I’d be interested to hear your opinion if you adjust them higher for further low beam projection and if they get better after a few hours of usage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Quick question. Where did you mount the ballast?

I just purchased a HID KIT from DDM Tuning and going to install this weekend.

Ballast location ideas are welcomed. ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cube-ster said:
Quick question. Where did you mount the ballast?

I just purchased a HID KIT from DDM Tuning and going to install this weekend.

Ballast location ideas are welcomed. ;D
I mounted mine on both sides of the inner fender. More than enough space.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cube-ster said:
Thanks. Did you use double sided tape to hold?
Yeah, the kit comes with double sided tape.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Would you perhaps be able to post a pic of the cutoff? I'd like to see just how badly I'll be blinding the oncoming drivers when I install mine! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
ESP said:
Would you perhaps be able to post a pic of the cutoff? I'd like to see just how badly I'll be blinding the oncoming drivers when I install mine! :D
As I said in a couple of other threads, the cutoff is the exact same as with the halogens. Of course, this is with quality HID's. I don't know what would happen with cheap $50 eBay HID's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chops said:
As I said in a couple of other threads, the cutoff is the exact same as with the halogens. Of course, this is with quality HID's. I don't know what would happen with cheap $50 eBay HID's.
As Chops say's. The cutoff is in the exact location as the halogens. The cutoff is determined by the headlight diffuser and reflector. Not the bulb.

But, because the HID's are sooo much brighter the cutoff is more visible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
I have no doubt that the cutoff is in the same location. Whenever you install HIDs in a non-HID housing, however, there is almost always some light scattering beyond said cutoff (which is, of course, what blinds oncoming drivers). It's worse on some cars than others, and I'd just like to see how much light is scattered above the cutoff on the Cube.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
ESP said:
I have no doubt that the cutoff is in the same location. Whenever you install HIDs in a non-HID housing, however, there is almost always some light scattering beyond said cutoff (which is, of course, what blinds oncoming drivers). It's worse on some cars than others, and I'd just like to see how much light is scattered above the cutoff on the Cube.
Like I said, there is no light scatter with quality HID's. New, quality HID's are designed to work in traditional headlight housings meant for halogens. The HID bulbs have been redesigned so that the arch (source of light) in the HID bulb is aligned to the same position as the element of a halogen bulb. Having that arch in the proper location allows it to have little to no light scatter and utilize 99% for the HID's light output where it needs to be... On the road in front of you.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top