Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Kansas where it has been very cold and snowy lately. I drove home from work last night about ten oclock. It was snowing but not to bad. I left the blower switch in the second position when I shut the car down.
I had to be back to work at seven this morning and when I started the cube I noticed the heater blower wasnt working in any position. It was a cold ride to work with a frosty windshield!! Anyway when I got a break I checked the fuses and both 15 amp fuses in the upper left were blown. I didnt see any spare fuses in the fuse box so after work I put new fuses in and the blower worked. It made a funny noise for a few seconds but is now working fine.
Im assuming some snow or moisture must have made its way into the blower motor and froze the motor causing the fuses to blow. It sure doesnt seem like a good design if this becomes a regular problem. Im sure Im not the only one leaving their cube out at night.
Has anyone else experienced this problem?

·
Registered
671 Posts
If that behavior is consistent, I'd discuss it with the dealer. It's always possible a higher fuse rating is in order, but more likely, it's just an an issue with the blower moter -- it's hard to know!

·
Registered
270 Posts
No reported problems with the blower motor that I've heard of; sounds isolated.

DON'T use higher rated fuses as a solution. The electrical devices on the loop aren't rated for that high of a load thus you can seriously damage (ruin) them or worse cause a fire. This is only a limp home mode fix at best.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldnt risk a higher amp fuse. Not like the old days when we used a foil gum wrapper as a temporary fix!! I think next time Im at the dealer I will make them replace the fuses with the ones they carry just so they are aware that I had the problem.

·
Registered
671 Posts
fotomoto said:
No reported problems with the blower motor that I've heard of; sounds isolated.

DON'T use higher rated fuses as a solution. The electrical devices on the loop aren't rated for that high of a load thus you can seriously damage (ruin) them or worse cause a fire. This is only a limp home mode fix at best.
I wasn't suggesting changing the fuse as the solution, I was suggesting talking to the dealer. If there's a lot of that problem going around, it could turn out to be a fuse issue, but as I said, more likely a defective motor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Trevor. I actually used a twenty amp when I got home to make sure the fuse was the problem. I should let the dealer know as I think its a design flaw if melted snow is getting into the blower motor. Of course that may not be the problem but thats what Im guessing.

·
Registered
671 Posts
There actually could be a winding, bearing, or leftover manufacturing debris problem that's causing the blower to draw more current than usual. If you can't reliably return to a 15A fuse, I'd definitely report it to the dealer. I very much doubt a trial 20A will put the wiring at trisk (not coming from a spec 15A), but I wouldn't go any higher, even as a test.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had this happen to me twice so far, a couple weeks ago it happened at the mall, then two nights ago I started my car and NO BLOWER!! Went to the dealer today, they diagnosed it as a bad motor/Bearing, replaced it and it is now fine, both times it quit the temperature was around 5 degrees F. I would bet this is going to be a slight problem for other people as well. I will keep everyone posted!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Assuming the Cube is a same car as Versa, I would think such issue relating to heater blower motor would be worked out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I actually just have my Blower Motor quit last night... after a very cold ride to the dealership in a blizzard, they have determined that the entire motor needs to be replaced. So heads up everyone to keep some mitts in the glovebox!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
i just had this happen to me, cold day not heat on the Way home, I'll try the fuse first since it seems easier and i guess we'll see.
on another note is anyone having trouble with their wipers not shutting off. same deal, it was cold i turned the wipers on and they work but when i try to turn them off they kept going. they would stop intermittently in the middle of the windshield and then after about a min keep going. finally after about 20 min they completely quit by themselves, any ideas?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts