Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after almost 2 months... I have a Cube again!! :)

Amazingly, the body shop did a pretty good job on it the second time around. They ended up painting the back bumper, back hatch, front bumper, hood and they touched up a couple of spots on the rear passenger side door. They replaced the windshield and seal, the passenger side door, adjusted the aero kit side pieces so they sit more flush with the vehicle... and although they claim they didn't... I am almost positive that they replaced the glass panel right behind the rear passenger side door. It had a chip on it when they told me the car was "done" the first time and that chip is now miraculously gone. There are still a couple of minor issues with gaps being off and a couple of spots that probably should have been hit with some touch up paint but it's not worth fighting the minor stuff.

I still think that the body shop and the insurance company are being super shady!! For example, the windshield replacement didn't go on my total repair cost because the insurance company "handles glass replacement differently" according to the body shop... so my over all repair cost is lower than what it actually cost to repair the vehicle correctly.

Oh well... It's nice to have my Cube back! :yes:

·
Registered
175 Posts
the wind shield thing doesn't necessarily sound shady to me... most insurance companies have a glass repair clause in their policy because they can happen more frequently and they usually contract out with windshield repair companies for this service (say if a rock hits your window) maybe they are getting a real good deal from their standard window guy and they'd rather pay that price to him than to the body shop, who doesn't specialize in windshield repair.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Steel~Gray said:
Well, after almost 2 months... I have a Cube again!! :)

Amazingly, the body shop did a pretty good job on it the second time around. They ended up painting the back bumper, back hatch, front bumper, hood and they touched up a couple of spots on the rear passenger side door. They replaced the windshield and seal, the passenger side door, adjusted the aero kit side pieces so they sit more flush with the vehicle... and although they claim they didn't... I am almost positive that they replaced the glass panel right behind the rear passenger side door. It had a chip on it when they told me the car was "done" the first time and that chip is now miraculously gone. There are still a couple of minor issues with gaps being off and a couple of spots that probably should have been hit with some touch up paint but it's not worth fighting the minor stuff.

I still think that the body shop and the insurance company are being super shady!! For example, the windshield replacement didn't go on my total repair cost because the insurance company "handles glass replacement differently" according to the body shop... so my over all repair cost is lower than what it actually cost to repair the vehicle correctly.

Oh well... It's nice to have my Cube back! :yes:
Well, that's a hugely more positive report than I read earlier when it sounded like they would have been hard pressed to have done less. With so much ground recovered, I can easily understand wanting to take a break, but frankly, I would seriously bring your paint concerns to their attention. Don't forget, it's the insurance company that's ultimately liable for the cost of repair, not the body shop. In any case, congratulations on having achieved so much, I merely suggest following through on your concerns to achieve just a little more :)!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up taking the car to a second body shop to get their opinion on the repair work. If I'd known about them before the accident it would have gone there instead of back to the dealership for sure! They said that overall the repair work was good... but that they didn't rust proof the area of rocker molding that was welded in... and after 2.5 weeks it was already showing signs of rust. So I took it BACK to the dealership body shop, contacted their General Manager... and they fixed the rust issue as well as the fog light that didn't work and they finally managed to get the aero kit side skirts tight! After weeks of being told that they couldn't get the kit to sit flush with the car like it did before the accident, they ordered more clips and it looks great. It's been a pain... but I think everything is fixed now (with the exception of some gap issues that everyone I've talked to said couldn't really be adjusted).

I had the car appraised and was told that it probably lost between $6,000 and $8,000 worth of value because of the accident... so now we are filing a diminished value claim with the insurance company. Wish me luck!!

·
Registered
671 Posts
That's an interesting idea! Well, I sure hope it does work out -- and it sounds like a good consideration for the insurance company when choosing whether to total or repair a recent vehicle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts