Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Cube and winter started here in Ohio. Well I was running out of windshield washer fluid all the time. Wow and I could only get 1/4 of a container of washer fluid in at a time. Well my washer tank was frozen, Nissan did not use washer fluid with antifreeze in it. I let it sit inside with the heat on and pumped all the washer fluid out and put new anti freeze fluid back in. I hope it did not damage the pumps.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Wow! You're saying the factory/dealership prefilled the windshield washer reservoir with plain water? Not the standard antifreeze/water mix? That's astounding! I'd definitely rag on the dealer over that one :mad:! From what I've read in the past, plain water should never be put in washer reservoirs (same for radiators) -- even if the temp is always above freezing, the fluid needs to provide lubricants for the pump.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Probably not plain water, just plain washer fluid, not the winter mix.

·
Registered
671 Posts
What's the difference? If I go to PepBoys to buy windshield washer fluid, I'm looking at 50/50 mix, not something else. what do you have in mind?

·
Registered
27 Posts
The difference is the percentage of methanol in the mix. Regular fluid is good to freezing or just below. Winter mix is good to around -40, depending on the brand.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Methanol - reminds me of Fast & Furious :D

I will have to look for this mix, as my current mix takes a while to warm up enough to come out of the nozzles.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Espresso said:
The difference is the percentage of methanol in the mix. Regular fluid is good to freezing or just below. Winter mix is good to around -40, depending on the brand.
Interesting! Just took a look for my windshield washer fluid to read the label, but failed to spot it. I'll check PepBoys tomorrow. I've been keying off the 50/50 mix I'm used to in radiators (good for well below feezing), but maybe it's indeed different. Never had washer fluid freeze on me though :p!

·
Registered
27 Posts
It is a Fast and the Furious thing LOL... lots of forced induction guys that run meth injection use windshield washer fluid for the methanol supply.

I believe there's a version of ethelene glycol that can be used for washer fluid too, but it's a non-toxic version...

·
Registered
671 Posts
TrevorS said:
Espresso said:
Interesting! Just took a look for my windshield washer fluid to read the label, but failed to spot it. I'll check PepBoys tomorrow. I've been keying off the 50/50 mix I'm used to in radiators (good for well below feezing), but maybe it's indeed different. Never had washer fluid freeze on me though :p!
Checked at PepBoys today :)! They have two windshield washer fluids available, one good to -20F and another brand good for -25F (looked as though this was 40% non-water ingredients). Both well below freezing (32F), yet neither marked as being something special for winter, etc. Coldest it ever gets around here is around 18F I think, but maybe it's a region thing -- perhaps in Florida or Southern California the minimum temp is higher :-\?

PS. Here's an interesting thread on the subject of home-made washer fluid :)
http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf883828.tip.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts