Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like there are a few of us on here that switched from Mini Coopers to Cubes. Not totally surprising since when the new Mini Coopers came out, they were certainly a distinctive, attention grabbing car on the road.

Personally, there were a few factors that contributed to my decision to switch. First, out-of-warranty repair expenses on my 2003 Cooper were intimidating. In the last 9 months of owning a Cooper, I had the car in the shop 4 times. Some repairs were minor but others (replacing the power steering motor) were not only expensive, but also surprising to have to do considering my Cooper only had 30,000 miles on it! Second, after replacing the power steering motor I started looking around the Mini boards and it seemed like a good number of 2002/2003 owners were starting to have expensive to repair issues with their Minis, many of them electrical (again, intimidating in terms of repair costs). Third, I had seen the 2nd generation Cube in Japan and have been waiting for Nissan to bring the Cube to the US. I really liked the asymmetry and functional but fun styling. Lastly, a little more cargo space/passenger space at this point in my life is useful.

So, I test drove a Cube, liked the styling and driving peppy-ness and the salesman agreed to a decent trade-in on my Mini. Next thing you know, I'm cleaning out the Mini to turn her in. I had mixed emotions about it all. The Mini, in many ways, is the car that best matches my personality. I loved the way she handled like a go kart and zipped around town. She was short, cute, sassy, sexy and confidently cool all at the same time. If ever I regain confidence in the quality of the brand (mainly electrical system concerns) and they go back to the simpler design of the first generation Cooper (mainly the interior changes), I may consider going back to a Mini but in the meantime I'm a Cubist.

The Cube has been a different experience for me. I'm as enthusiastic about the Cube as I was about the Mini when it was new, but in a different way. Suddenly, I'm excited about all the things I can transport! Last weekend I managed to put an 8 foot screen door in the Cube. Adding the roof rack (which I never would have done to the Mini because of the way it would have changed the profile) further adds to the carrying capability. Four doors? I forgot what that was like. Visibility over street-side parked cars when backing out of the driveway or pulling out into traffic? Geez, that's nice! And lastly, cup holders!!!!

So to those of you who used motor around in Minis, what are your impressions of the Cube experience? Pros? Cons? Why did you switch?

P.S. I'd MUCH rather be in a Cube than in a Clubman. As much as they nailed the "new" Mini (vs. the old Rovers), IMHO they totally missed the boat on the Clubman. The proportions are all wrong.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's crazy that it's been such a long time since I have posted here and come to see this thread. As a current 2003 MINI Cooper owner who's car has been at the shop for the past week and more than likely a few more weeks, I've considered trading to a Cube more than ever.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had a couple of "small" problems with my '02 S, but the biggest incentive was that my MINI was at 95k miles. The other incentive was that I could get the cube how I wanted it for less than $20k. Being a college student, that was important.

P.S. I bought the MINI from my dad, that's how I could afford it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We currently have two MINIs - mine is a 2006 Cooper S and hers is a 2002 Cooper S. I have a cube on order that will be replacing my '98 Blazer (once cash-for-clunkers gets finalized). I've noticed that there seems to be some overlap between MINI and cube owners - they are both small, unique quirky cars. I don't think that the cube will be as fun as the MINIs, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it anyway! I'll post some pics of all the cars together once I pick up the cube.

·
Registered
50 Posts

I love my Cube, but my MCS is still my baby.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was driving a 04 MCS before and now has turned it to a track-only car. There are indeed some similarities e.g. far-away A-pillar, almost vertical windshield... When I test drove the Cube for the first time, I almost crashed it in the on-ramp since I drove it like a MINI. But once I took delivery, I tested the limit of it and had found that it is not that bad if you brake a little earlier (I'm a left-foot-braking person in automatics) & take a different apex for the same corner. I can now take the ramp pretty fast, of course, I couldn't really compare it with the MINI or Cayman but the Cube is not that bad at all especially after installing the Megan springs & running on 205-50/16 Yoko ES100... I'm actually planning to test it on the track next weekend, will try to do some lappings and find out the limits of it. Just hope the brakes will last for a few laps before fading from hard braking :D After all it's not that expensive to replace them. A CVT Cube on track, I'm sure it will be freaking interesting for all my friends ;D
Cheers
Yamamoto

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had a lot of fun in the MINI, but figured I should find something a bit more suiting for my personality. I'm going more for comfort and style on this one rather than the speed I had before.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have had an 09 Cooper S for about a year now and just bought a base cube 6SP this weekend for about half the price. Cube is quieter, roomier and easier to drive, but the MINI S rocks and isn't leaving my garage any time soon. Both draw looks and comments. Its funny, my colorschemes are exactly the same as morphix.

No MINI problems in 10K miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
so funny that so many mini owners have done the switcheroo. i myself had a 2006 mini and after the lame warranty they offer expired the car just wants to fall apart!! every year theres been some time of issue with it and now that the car is overheating AGAIN i just want to get rid of it. the $$ upkeep is just not worth the cute car anymore lol so hopefully the cube will bring much better luck!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have 45K on my 06 Cooper S convertable and it is still running like new! I hope I don't run into too many problems or I might have to trade it in too... I, also, think the Cube is a great and quirky car. I love them both, but for different reasons. 8)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I got my Cube over Labor Day weekend, but I still love my MINI. I bought the Cube as a dog car and for errands that require parking lots. They both have their function. If I get to take a long trip it will be with the MINI. I do love the Clubman. I was on the list for 25 months before its release and was no. 1 in the state to order it.
I don't get to drive a lot with a husband who is ill, but the MINI is my escape pod. The Cube is too, but in a different way. I love its quirkiness and it is just a fun car. I've put a lot into extra detailing on it and will continue to spoil it.
I'm amazed with the quality of the Fosgate sound. I think it is even better than the Harmon Kardon I had in a BMW.

Both are great cars in their own ways, kind of like two kids. You love them both, but they are individuals.

I have to admit it's nice to have the Nissan dealer less than 10 miles away. My MINI has a 110-mile drive for service, so it's an all-day affair to have the oil changed.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts