Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a J2 Engineering (J2-CBE-OS-067) Cat Back for my daughter’s Cube. With tax it cost $270 on Amazon. The installation from Midas was $150. The sound from the exterior is deeper than expected and mellow. The issue (for us) was the interior noise. The culprit really is the high revving CVT and the fact that the Exhaust note doesn’t rise and fall as with say a 5 speed automatic transmission. At steady highway speeds the interior noise was unbearable. The annoyance is not a resonance issue, it’s just obnoxiously loud inside, yet when driving next to the Cube at 60-70 mph, the exterior exhaust note sounds awesome.

SOLUTION

Today I had a Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator (1140) installed. Problem solved! The exterior note still sounds great and on the inside, you know there’s a custom exhaust but it’s no longer obnoxious. I can hear myself think! The Vibrant cost $95 shipped from Amazon and the install from a pro muffler shop was $40.

Lesson #1 - Don’t have muffler work done at a chain shop like Midas. They charged me $150 to install the cat back (it took 20 minutes, I timed it) and the pro muffler guy said he would have charged me only $80 for the factory removal and install.

Lesson #2 - To save money and get a similar result, I could have done a muffler delete (keep the factory resonator) and added this Vibrant resonator as the muffler and got better results.

Lesson #3 - Stop trying to live vicariously through your kids and don’t waste $550 on something they never wanted! 😜

Click this link for sound J2

·
Registered
144 Posts
I also have a j2 catback on my 2010 Nissan cube but it's a 6 speed. I got a used one from a guy who had the original resonator welded into the J2 exhaust. Looks like your muffler guy did a good job, I like how he added on another rubber clip holder right where the muffler attaches to the resonator. I had to take mine to a muffler guy also few times due to rattling. I was told the J2 catback didn't fit very well on the cube it wasn't made well hence the cheap price. I originally had a stillen axleback exhaust but wanted a full catback.
I had a slight power gain switching. Since you have an exhaust might want to get an intake that way you'll gain some more power. I have a takeda intake and love it,

1 - 2 of 2 Posts