Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I live in WI and like all of the northern states these days, the roads are full of salt and grime... which ends up on my new Cube... I desperately want to wash it, but with temperatures below freezing (in the 20's right now), I'm afraid of freezing my cube shut... I refuse to take it to a car wash because the touchless ones don't work real well and the regular ones have a history of scratching paint...

So what do you recommend for drying the car after I wash it? Should I use something like shamwow (or similar)? What do you use to dry your car after you wash it?

Thanks!
K.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
839 Posts
KandA said:
Hello everyone!
I live in WI and like all of the northern states these days, the roads are full of salt and grime... which ends up on my new Cube... I desperately want to wash it, but with temperatures below freezing (in the 20's right now), I'm afraid of freezing my cube shut... I refuse to take it to a car wash because the touchless ones don't work real well and the regular ones have a history of scratching paint...

So what do you recommend for drying the car after I wash it? Should I use something like shamwow (or similar)? What do you use to dry your car after you wash it?

Thanks!
K.

Use a leaf blower then follow up with a micro fiber towel. - Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Another idea is my brother just bought a waterless car cleaner. It's a spray can that you spray (kind of like a spray armor all) and let it sit a second and then wipe it off. Then you go over with another towel to buff off.

It actually worked pretty darn well.

If interested let me know and I can try to find out the brand it was...as I am not sure off the top of my head
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
839 Posts
Q!Cube said:
Another idea is my brother just bought a waterless car cleaner. It's a spray can that you spray (kind of like a spray armor all) and let it sit a second and then wipe it off. Then you go over with another towel to buff off.

It actually worked pretty darn well.

If interested let me know and I can try to find out the brand it was...as I am not sure off the top of my head
I have and used the same kind of product, and I must say, it works a lot better than I expected. The one I have is Turtle Wax Foam Away 1-step wash & wax. It does a great job at lifting dirt etc., and leaves a very nice coat of wax. The only down side I've found with this product is that it consumes a lot of towels. When you wipe off the product, the towel(s) quickly becomes saturated. Then once the product is wiped off you will need to follow up with a nice soft towel (like micro fiber) to bring out a nice shine from the wax. It's great to use if you have a garage and aren't subject to outside temps in a cold wind. - Aloha, Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My fear with a product like that would be that it would leave sand/salt/grime behind and it would scratch the paint job... but you both seem to be pretty confident about it... I'll look into that one. I might try it out in an inconspicuous spot first.

Square: if I had a leaf blower I would try it, but I doubt the wife will let me buy one just to dry the car... lol... great idea though!

Thanks for your input everyone!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
839 Posts
KandA said:
My fear with a product like that would be that it would leave sand/salt/grime behind and it would scratch the paint job... but you both seem to be pretty confident about it... I'll look into that one. I might try it out in an inconspicuous spot first.

Square: if I had a leaf blower I would try it, but I doubt the wife will let me buy one just to dry the car... lol... great idea though!

Thanks for your input everyone!
Well, under normal conditions these products seem to work just fine. But if you're car is especially nasty then a pre rinse is suggested. I've used it on a pretty dirty car and it came out great. - Aloha, Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
I live in the Chicago Area and people that don't live in these climes, just don't get it how dirty our cars get in the winter. It isn't reasonable to suggest the DIY carwash booths when the temp is sub zero. Often I was afraid, the ice would pull the paint off of my Altima when I washed it. :eek: The lower body panels are ice encrusted for days. If it snows more than a couple of inches, I have to park outside, because I can't get the cars down the alley to the garage. :( I just hate the piles of dirty snow/ice that accumulate everywhere.

torgrot
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,084 Posts
The leaf blower gets looks from the neighbors. :p I love it :yes:

Chamois, those things are great too and you can wash it and wring it.

Not sure about the ShamWow guy.

Right now my car looks like a yellow Peep do to all the pollen, it is everywhere. Soft yellow haze on everything. No sence in washing it off either cause it will be back about the time you are done drying it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
582 Posts
The ShamWows are okay when new. However, after a few washes they seem like a limp wash cloth :no:
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top