Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All: I just joined today. Looking for help with a repair. The cable attached to the outside door handle of my wife's 2009 Cube has worn through right near the ball end, furthest from the top. The actuator is fine. When my wife opened the door from the outside with the key fob she could hear something metallic fall and bounce inside the door. I took the panel off and the end of the cable is frayed. I found the ball end in the bottom of the door. (Pictures attached). The cables which open the door from the inside are fine.
I checked with a repair shop and Nissan has no replacement cable. The entire door lock mechanism has to be replaced, for $700.00 plus labour. I checked on line and NO replacement cables are available for any Nissans that I could find.
Is there any way to DIY a new cable, or weld something on the end? We're both out of work we can't afford a GRAND to repair a single cable.
Any help is hugely appreciated.
20201005_155755.jpg
20201006_144201.jpg

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi All: I just joined today. Looking for help with a repair. The cable attached to the outside door handle of my wife's 2009 Cube has worn through right near the ball end, furthest from the top. The actuator is fine. When my wife opened the door from the outside with the key fob she could hear something metallic fall and bounce inside the door. I took the panel off and the end of the cable is frayed. I found the ball end in the bottom of the door. (Pictures attached). The cables which open the door from the inside are fine.
I checked with a repair shop and Nissan has no replacement cable. The entire door lock mechanism has to be replaced, for $700.00 plus labour. I checked on line and NO replacement cables are available for any Nissans that I could find.
Is there any way to DIY a new cable, or weld something on the end? We're both out of work we can't afford a GRAND to repair a single cable.
Any help is hugely appreciated. View attachment 6154 View attachment 6155
Any help is hugely appreciated. View attachment 6154 View attachment 6155

LOOK ON EBAY THE LINK IS ABOVE, THEY DONT JUST SELL THE CABLE ITS THE WHOLE ASSEMBLY it's ONLY $80 FOR THE PART ON EBAY
Door Lock Actuator Left Front W CableS

ALSO YOU MIGHT WANT TO CALL A1 AUTO

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is awesome! Thank you very much for the help. I will definitely check out the ebay link. If I'm able to do the repair I'll definitely post a follow up. Thanks again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You can purchase wire rope and various terminations at McMaster.com
Search "wire rope". You'll need to measure the diameter of the rope. If you can get the replacement for $80, I would go that route. Good Luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much for all the suggestions. The cable is not replaceable without dismantling the whole locking mechanism of the door. I stripped off some of the plastic and wire shielding around the cable, which allowed me to pull another inch of cable past where the ball end fit into the cup. I went to Gregg's Distributors ( a Canadian chain that seems to have everything) and bought a cable stop and wire crimper for under $30.00. I filed one end of the cable stop into a half ball and after hours of fiddling around inside the door, I crimped the end on the cable, put the door back together, and, it worked. Saved a ton of cash. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts