Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be the third time the ESCL module on the cube has died. Why doesn't Nissan simply offer a replacement module to eliminate this issue. For most people spending $1500 on a car that is approaching 15 years old makes zero sense especially when is adds zero value to the vehicle. Anyway, I'm reaching out here to see if anyone has a cure all for this issue. I am currently searching the net for yet another steering column with push button start so I can rob the module from it. I currently have the car running as I removed the existing module, cut it open, spun the gears until I got the car to fire up. I since taped down the buttons in the module and popped things back together. The key light is on constant but the car starts and drives. Issue is the battery goes dead overnight and sometimes much quicker. Further research had me pull the ESCL fuse while car was running thinking this would turn off the light and shutdown whatever circuit is still on. Well that was a complete fail and fired up the red security light causing the car to refuse to start under any circumstance. Let the car sit for a few days while I researched and contemplated having it towed into Nissan for the $1500 repair just to move on with life. Either that or scrap the car which was definitely on the table. Next day for laughs pressed the start button and hey the car started! After more reading it was stated the fuse had to be pulled while in accessory not running. Hey why not? Tried again and again disabled the starter once again. The dash lights come on like it will start but it simply wont turn over. Tried the leave it for a few days trick again and I'm back to being able to start the car. Mind you while I am waiting the car must be left on a battery charger or the battery will drain. Here I am back at square one thinking someone must have this figured out by now. Current situation, Car operates as it should other than yellow key light on dash and drained battery overnight. I did notice yesterday that the fix of taping the buttons down in the escl must trigger the computer to think the start cycle has been engaged and the steering wheel is unlocked. I noticed this as with the car turned off and in fact me out of the car I saw the press brake pedal light come on to start the car. So, the car must be in some type of accessory position 24 hours a day which of course would drain the battery. The other indicator is the chiming noise the car makes when its ready to start. This is evident anytime the door is open and the car is not running. Sorry for the overly lengthy post hear just trying to find answers and be helpful to others that may run into this problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wish I could be of help. My first ESCL died at 15K and I was good until 138K. Yes, it is incredibly frustrating that something not critical to starting a car could completely disable it.

When I was doing my research, I found a lot of YouTube videos that described how to rewire the ESCL. I wasn't brave enough to try any of them. Maybe someone on the forum has....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts