Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone out there had any problems with their CVT transmission?
I won't comment about mine until it has seen the doctor, but strange things started happening today. :sick:

·
Registered
315 Posts
There's a thread about the transmission surging. I personally have not seen anything weird other than the fact that once or twice when shifting to fourth it shifted back to third, revved to 4000, back down to 3000 and shifted, but that was within the first 200 miles of me driving it, so it might have been me getting used to the touch of the pedal...

·
2,084 Posts
Mines not healthy but totally drivable. Yes the the other thread and let us know if you fit into this category. If so it means the problem will be systemic.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know what was going on, but I just took the car out for a drive, and it was just as smooth, and fluid as it has ever been. Tomorrow I will be taking the car on a five hour trip [with three passengers], so I will let you know tommorow evening how it works out. Sounds crazy, I know, but it just feels too good now to have any serious problem. Two hours ago it was so jumpy, and hesitant that I did not know if I would make it home from five miles away. ??? Once again ...... the Cube is mysterious :roll:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sure it was your transmission. With it being a automatic its hard to see if it the engine stumbling because there is no clutch to push in. Being winter we get some nasty stuff in the gas.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To answer the question: No, I am not sure it was the transmission. [But it seemed like it was to me].
Anyway, to follow up on the 5 hour round trip today, there were no problems at all, either with or without the cruise control on. [I drove mostly without the cruise on]. I'm hoping maybe it could have been something in the fuel, although the engine ran, and revved very quickly, and smoothly when I shifted it into neutral [while driving down the road, when it was acting spuratic]. I would like to solve this mystery, but I would like it even more if it never does it again. ??? :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Things are looking brighter. I done a good bit of driving today with no problems whatsoever.
To help clarify the problem I was having: The car never revved on it's own. Only when I pressed the gas pedal.
When I let off, it let off. [No toyota problems here]. What did happen was when starting off, or when driving along and then pressing down harder on the gas pedal, the car would not go any faster at first, but as I continued to gradually press down more on the gas pedal, then it would rev higher than it would have had to if it had been gradually accelerating the whole time I was pressing the gas. [WOW, does that make it simple to understand or just more confusing?] ???
Let's try it again in a fresh new paragraph: It was not accelerating [or revving] gradual and fluidly as the CVT normally does. It would not go when I pressed the gas, and if I kept it pressed [not floored,just pressed], then it would rev in about a second later than it should. But when I let off the gas, it would go back to idle every time.
[My point is: nothing dangerous ever occured]
Now the engine is so quiet in the cube that it is possible that there was water in the gas, and it was just hard to hear what was going on. Also the CVT is so much different than a conventional automatic transmission, that if it had been a conventional automatic then it would have been easier to hear the engine's rpm's breaking down as the water was being injected into it. [I almost want to put a little water in the tank just to see if it acts the same way again] I would feel better in a strange way. There does not seem to be many CVT problems out there, besides people just not liking the motorboat feel about them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I joined just because of this weird occurrence. I had the EXACT same thing happen to me the other day, and today, everything seems back to normal.
I started up the car and noticed that the car would not accelerate in proportion to me pressing the pedal (accelerated EXTREMELY slowly) until I reached 2000 rpm at which point the motor/transmission would kick in suddenly, resulting in a jerking acceleration much akin to a regular auto transmission shifting from 1st to 2nd, except more abrupt. After 2000 rpm, it drove normally. I traveled 20 miles of stop and go traffic in this state, so I know the RPM range I was in.
I got home, put it in park, and consequently in neutral, and pressed on the gas pedal. I got extremely sluggish engine response and eventually no response whatsoever. That's right! The engine would not respond at all even with the pedal repeatedly to the floor! Fly by wire glitch?!
A random thought occured to me to check the gas cap because a while ago the check engine light came on due to it, so I opened and re-secured it, turned off the car and re-started it, resulting in normal pedal/ engine response. Here it is the next day, and everything is normal. Whether it was the gas cap I'm not so sure. I could have reset the computer error by shutting off the car as well...
The only thing out of the ordinary before the occurrence was that I had forgotten to disengage the parking brake before driving off, but I immediately knew after shifting into drive and disengaged it promptly.
I'd try to replicate that but I don't really want to tempt the fates if you know what I mean. To me this could be a fly-by-wire glitch as opposed to a CVT problem, or even a combination of both.
Anyone else out there?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe it had to do with shutting off th engine, and restarting it [Maybe resetting the computer].
Mine went from hardly driveable [when I parked it in the garage] to perfectly smooth and normal in an hour
later, when I restarted it and drove stop and go traffic for five miles til I got to the gas station.
In fact, I am leaning more and more to think computer glitch, instead of mechanical problem .... We'll see.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Belt Issue?

A couple days ago, My wife and I were out running errands, and being the troublemaker I am, I did some "jack-rabbit" starts and I got a terrible shake, and several pops, kinda like the old days of RWD cars that would develop wheel-hop. I thought it might be VDC related, so I turned off the VDC and it still occured, which leads me to believe that after 12k miles of hard driving, it might be time for a CVT Belt inspection as it might of been jumping teeth. Thank you Nissan for extending the CVT warranty. Now come on Aftermarket, and get us a bulletproof kevlar, carbon, NASA inspired CVT belt, ;-).

·
Registered
7 Posts
We are having terrible (but intermittent) problems with our CVT cube on similar lines, no revving as other have reported.

When the engine is warm and you come to a stop sign you really don't know if pressing the accelerator will do anything or not. Once at a drive through window I tried to get the car to go for 10 seconds before giving up and turning it off and restarting so it would move.

The real problem is when you roll into in intersection after judging that you have enough time and then the car sits there for 3-4 seconds while you are pressing the gas, waiting to go. That's where the safety concerns come into play.

We took it to the dealer to get looked at and that gave us a big runaround about not understanding how CVTs are different and they couldn't replicate it in the short time they had the car. Without a computer error code or being able to see the problem themselves they won't help us at all.

Now, I just have to hope it gets much worse so it can be addressed by the dealer -- my wife doesn't want to drive it anymore. Nine month old car and we can't trust it.

Anyone get a similar problem fixed? If so what was the key piece of information?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been reading some of the posts concerning the CVT transmissions problems. Sorry hear that certain individuals are having some issues with the transmission surging. Curious, what year are you driving? Recently, we purchased a 2010 Krom model ... and regardless to say ... we are very, very happy with the overall performance of this vehicle.

Yes, it's not a pony muscle car in regards to horsepower, but it's a very responsive vehicle.

Absolutely no issues with the transmission. Zero.

Honestly, the quality of the gas could be playing a factor. There is some cheap gas out there ... would you agree?

I hope that everyone that owns a Cube can work out their issues with the dealership; now that's another situation.

·
Registered
582 Posts
There is no way that should happen. If I hit the gas any time from a dead stop it goes.

Patrick

·
2,084 Posts
listlessscott said:
We are having terrible (but intermittent) problems with our CVT cube on similar lines, no revving as other have reported.

When the engine is warm and you come to a stop sign you really don't know if pressing the accelerator will do anything or not. Once at a drive through window I tried to get the car to go for 10 seconds before giving up and turning it off and restarting so it would move.

The real problem is when you roll into in intersection after judging that you have enough time and then the car sits there for 3-4 seconds while you are pressing the gas, waiting to go. That's where the safety concerns come into play.
You are suffering from the same solenoid problem the rest of us have had. I had a huge runaround and the like. See the thread on "transmission surge". I am sure you will be most enlightened and get filled in on why you are getting the run around.

·
Registered
7 Posts
UPDATE: We just took the cube in to the dealer for the second time as the problem has been getting much worse.

This time they were able to duplicate the problem themselves multiple times and found several "stored faults" in the computer. Some electronic value in the transmission body was failing.

So we get the newly ordered transmission in about a week and after about 3 days to get it installed we will actually get to enjoy driving the cube once again.

So the lesson to anyone else in this situation -- you may have to wait for it to get much worse before it can be fixed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts