Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any info/experience on this? I've been experimenting with the cube, but my other car with a cvt does not offer this option. I presume if I want a more spirited performance I will turn the overdrive off.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The Nissan manual says to turn off the overdrive if you need more engine braking (i.e. if you're coasting down a steep hill). Overdrive is basically letting the engine run at a higher rpm, meaning it is running at a lower gear ratio. Higher rpm = lower gas efficiency, so I would suggest leaving it on unless you are trying to tow something or drive in San Francisco.

·
2,084 Posts
overdrive has changed its classification over the years, originally it was another gear to let the engine and wheels turn equal revolutions, you engaged it on the highway ONLY.
Then the tranny got overdrive function for full time drive but it engaged only at upper speeds. The cube is all on all the time, not sure if it is really overdrive anymore. I pressed it at 25mph and the car surged big time.

·
Registered
147 Posts
KeychainDan said:
The Nissan manual says to turn off the overdrive if you need more engine braking (i.e. if you're coasting down a steep hill). Overdrive is basically letting the engine run at a higher rpm, meaning it is running at a lower gear ratio. Higher rpm = lower gas efficiency, so I would suggest leaving it on unless you are trying to tow something or drive in San Francisco.

This (^^)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Overdrive lets the engine run at "lower" rpm so you get better gas milage and less work for the engine. THis on Wikepedia:

"Generally speaking, overdrive (OD) is the highest gear in the transmission. Overdrive allows the engine to operate at a lower rpm for a given road speed. This allows the vehicle to achieve better fuel efficiency, and often quieter operation on the highway. When it is switched on, an automatic transmission can shift into overdrive mode after a certain speed is reached (usually 70+ km/h [43+ mph] depending on the load). When it is off, the automatic transmission shifting is limited to the lower gears. For an automatic transmission, it is almost always best to select overdrive and allow the transmission to control engagement of the overdrive. (It may be necessary to switch it off if the vehicle is being operated in a mountainous area or when towing a trailer). With a manual transmission, overdrive should usually be selected when the average speed is above 70 km/h (approx. 43 MPH)."

·
Registered
410 Posts
??? i'm confused about the overdrive, i thought my sales guy said to leave it off ?? is it automaticlly on , i've driven stick my whole driving life first ever automatic car, i miss my standard, but i love my cube ;D

·
Registered
119 Posts
hana said:
??? i'm confused about the overdrive, i thought my sales guy said to leave it off ?? is it automaticlly on , i've driven stick my whole driving life first ever automatic car, i miss my standard, but i love my cube ;D
If you are used to a stick then think of it this way. On a 5-speed standard transmission, overdrive is 5th gear. If you have overdrive off then at higher speeds you have been driving around in 4th gear. While it’s a little peppier, your gas mileage is suffering.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I agree with the last post. Overdrive which came out years ago was a way to save on gas. I can't imagine a good salesperson telling you to leave it off. Did he say on hills or mountains to leave it off? In that case it's okay. I leave mine on all the time and my gas milage on trips is 30+

Pejay66

·
Registered
410 Posts
thank you all !!! i get it now. maybe i misunderstood with what the salesman told me ??? it doesn't take much to confuse me these days. i hit the 0d button today and it showed the od in the off position, so i assume the od is on all the time unless i hit the button...... correct????

·
Registered
135 Posts
Correct. The O/D is by default always on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts