Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - I know I am blind and usually can't find my butt from a hole in the ground - but where is the "dipstick" for checking the CVT fluid level and quality...Per the Premium Maintenance, this should be inspected at 7500 - which I just changed the oil and topped off all fluids, etc - but for the life of me can't find this dang CVT "dipstick"

If curios what I am talking about it's on page 194 of the TM service manual...

I know - "that's thinkin' with your dipstick Jimmy"

·
Registered
930 Posts
I know on my previous car, a 2005 Infiniti, there was not a dipstick to check the transmission fluid and any changes were recommended by the dealership. Maybe the same for CVT transmissions??

·
2,084 Posts
My Titan is the same way, there is a tiny little tube but its capped off.

"Service to be performed only by qualified Nissan Service Tech" stamped on the cap.

·
Registered
464 Posts
CVT is belt driven, would there be any transmission fluid for a belt? I have scooter that has the same type of transmission (CVT) and there is no fluid just a few pulleys and a belt. Maybe the CVT on the Cube is the same way?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From the Service Manual... Page 194 in the tm.pdf in the Service Manual thread in Cube It Yourself...

Apparently this stuff is maybe even $20 or more per qt and it takes up to 7 qts (also in the pdf above)...

PERIODIC MAINTENANCE
CVT FLUID
Inspection INFOID:0000000005062552
Level check
Check fluid level in HOT state [CVT fluid temperature is between 50 to 80°C (122 to 176°F)], according to the
following procedures.
1. Visually check that CVT fluid leakage from transaxle assembly is not detected.
2. After engine warms up, drive the vehicle in an urban area for approximately 10 minutes.
NOTE:
When ambient temperature is 20°C (68°F), driving vehicle for approximately 10 minutes in an urban area
ordinarily warms up CVT fluid temperature between 50 to 80°C (122 to 176°F).
3. Park the vehicle on a level surface.
4. Fully apply parking brake.
5. Adjust engine speed at idle state.
6. Shift selector lever through entire position from “P” to “D” while depressing brake pedal.
7. Press claw of CVT fluid level gauge lock to unlock.
8. Remove CVT fluid level gauge from CVT fluid charging pipe.
9. Wipe CVT fluid that is on CVT fluid level gauge.
CAUTION:
Always use shop paper when wiping off CVT fluid that is on
CVT fluid level gauge.
10. Rotate CVT fluid level gauge 180° from installed state.
11. Inset CVT fluid level gauge until it contacts CVT fluid charging
pipe end.
12. Check that CVT fluid level is within the specified level of CVT fluid level gauge (MAX side).
CAUTION:
• After level check, when returning CVT fluid level gauge to the original state, insert CVT fluid level
gauge to CVT fluid charging pipe until it is locked.
• Always use shop paper when wiping off CVT fluid that is on CVT fluid level gauge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I worked at Nissan and my understanding is that these transmissions should only be opened by a Nissan trained tech. I have a Versa with a CVT (my Cube's a 6-speed) and when I spoke with them about the CVT in it they said the dealer has as CVT diagnostic. I think they basically run a test and pull a degredation number and cross reference with acceptable ranges. If it falls under the acceptable range, they recommend you change the fluid.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hate to dredge up a nine year old message thread, but I've been looking and reading and I've not been able to find the silly dipstick described in the service manual. It's almost like a Snipe Hunt. Any clues where it is?

--Bill

From the Service Manual... Page 194 in the tm.pdf in the Service Manual thread in Cube It Yourself...

Apparently this stuff is maybe even $20 or more per qt and it takes up to 7 qts (also in the pdf above)...

PERIODIC MAINTENANCE
CVT FLUID
Inspection INFOID:0000000005062552
Level check
Check fluid level in HOT state [CVT fluid temperature is between 50 to 80°C (122 to 176°F)], according to the
following procedures.
1. Visually check that CVT fluid leakage from transaxle assembly is not detected.
2. After engine warms up, drive the vehicle in an urban area for approximately 10 minutes.
NOTE:
When ambient temperature is 20°C (68°F), driving vehicle for approximately 10 minutes in an urban area
ordinarily warms up CVT fluid temperature between 50 to 80°C (122 to 176°F).
3. Park the vehicle on a level surface.
4. Fully apply parking brake.
5. Adjust engine speed at idle state.
6. Shift selector lever through entire position from “P” to “D” while depressing brake pedal.
9. Wipe CVT fluid that is on CVT fluid level gauge.
CAUTION:
Always use shop paper when wiping off CVT fluid that is on
CVT fluid level gauge.
10. Rotate CVT fluid level gauge 180° from installed state.
11. Inset CVT fluid level gauge until it contacts CVT fluid charging
pipe end.
12. Check that CVT fluid level is within the specified level of CVT fluid level gauge (MAX side).
CAUTION:
• After level check, when returning CVT fluid level gauge to the original state, insert CVT fluid level
gauge to CVT fluid charging pipe until it is locked.
• Always use shop paper when wiping off CVT fluid that is on CVT fluid level gauge.

·
Registered
686 Posts
It is not a normal dip stick. It looks similar to a drain plug, probably red or yellow in colour and you have to disengage a locking clip with something like a dental pick to remove it. As I recall it is in the area beneath the battery, but nothing has to be removed to get at it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
From the drawings in the factory service manual that dipstick looks unconventional. And I'd guess that it has to be at, near or around the battery based on the location of the transmission. So I don't think I'm barking up a wrong tree and I'll keep looking in this area. Thanks!

--Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts