Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recorded the mpg history of my smart for about a year. After trading it in for a Cube, began doing the same. I used the iPhone app Gas Cubby to record this info as well as fuelly.com. Overall, it is not very surprising that I got much better gas mileage with my smart (39), but when you read the details, higher mpg doesn't necessarily mean much lower costs. I had to use premium fuel with the smart, so at the end of the day when you compare it to the regular fuel I use with my cube, I am only spending an extra 3 cents per mile.

smart Stats

Cube Stats

Anyways just thought I'd share if anyone was curious. Hooray for numbers! :D

·
2,084 Posts
Nice job on the graphics and information.

My Cube gets good enough gas milage for this economy. If it goes up again it will be a vehicle change up.

However when fuel was hitting the $4.00 mark I was very conscious and monitored the FIT's MPG and wanted to see the same as above between the Smart and Fit. I got 38-40 MPG average/regular in the FIT with 87 Octane and could carry 4 people and groceries or luggage when needed.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I couldn't see driving a less powerful car, such as Honda, just to save another hundred per year. Gotta have a little pep at least!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ChristineK said:
Nice job on the graphics and information.

My Cube gets good enough gas milage for this economy. If it goes up again it will be a vehicle change up.

However when fuel was hitting the $4.00 mark I was very conscious and monitored the FIT's MPG and wanted to see the same as above between the Smart and Fit. I got 38-40 MPG average/regular in the FIT with 89 Octane and could carry 4 people and groceries or luggage when needed.
I never knew the Fit had such good fuel economy. No wonder it's so popular. Good to know, but I could never see myself driving a Fit. I never liked the looks of them. One car that I could possibly be interested in (assuming fuel costs skyrocket again) is the Toyota/Scion iQ. It's like a smart with a back seat and a real transmission. It reportedly gets 57mpg overseas. Still it remains up in the air whether or not this car will even come to the US

·
2,084 Posts
I could see that coming to the US, reminds me of the YARIS :yes:

The Fit bested at 44MPG, my Cube has done pretty much as the sticker said it would.

·
Registered
148 Posts
it is coming as a scion....buddy of mine works for GST and said 95% percent sure it is coming next year....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
killercube said:
it is coming as a scion....buddy of mine works for GST and said 95% percent sure it is coming next year....
Very cool. I've been looking forward to trying one out. I just hope it doesn't look like the scion concept. That thing looks like a hotwheels toy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I owned both the 08 and 09 model of the smart. fun to drive and great to park along with good gas mileage. Quirky tranny and for the most park not good dealer service. smart is really struggling today. Sold 13K cars this year and a few of the 70 dealers they had closed. i traded the 09 smart for the Cube and like CK if we got to 4.00 a gallon the Cube would have to go. the cube is a lot better car than the Smart but they could have done better on mileage especially since they just lowered the 2010 rating down by another mile. We own a Prius so somwhat spoiled but I would also go after the scion IQ or something all electric.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a smart as well, one of the previous generation (450) diesel smarts. (I'm in Canada, these weren't released in the U.S.)

Amazing fuel economy, 4.2l/100km (about 56mpg for the U.S. types), but one thing not listed is the high repair costs. An "A" service, which is pretty much an oil change is $200, the "B" service is more than that, and that's if nothing goes wrong. My expenses have been higher for my 2005 smart than for my 2005 Tucson because of those maintenance costs. I picked both up from service one day and the smart was $320 and the Tucson was $29.

They are super neat little cars though! Like the cube, they are very quirky (especially the previous model), and never fail to put a smile on your face while you drive.

Cheers!

Dang

·
2,084 Posts
none said:
I couldn't see driving a less powerful car, such as Honda, just to save another hundred per year. Gotta have a little pep at least!
Honda VTEC, spins to its 6600-rpm power peak (109 hp) urging the Fit from 0 to 60 mph in 8.3 seconds.

0-60 mph: 14 seconds for the Nissan Cube,

Yup you are right None! Could not agree more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dang said:
My expenses have been higher for my 2005 smart than for my 2005 Tucson because of those maintenance costs.
This is one of the reasons I had to sell my smartie. Every 10,000 miles I'd have to bring it in for a check up, and every time the cost would go up. The first check up was about $300. My 20,000 mile check up was about $400. I didn't want to wait and see how much I'd have to shell out at 30,000 miles. Plus right off the bat I paid $679 for a new windshield during my first month of ownership, though this was partly my fault for forgetting to add glass coverage to my insurance. I loved my smart but the costs of owning the smallest production car in the US were getting unmanageable.

·
Registered
929 Posts
ChristineK said:
Honda VTEC, spins to its 6600-rpm power peak (109 hp) urging the Fit from 0 to 60 mph in 8.3 seconds.

0-60 mph: 14 seconds for the Nissan Cube,

Yup you are right None! Could not agree more.
Someone is feeding you propaganda.

http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/cube/2009/testdrive.html

" At 9.7 seconds, the Cube's 0-60-mph sprint performance isn't going to thrill you, but it's more than a second quicker than a Fit automatic. "

I feel kind of funny arguing about 9.7 seconds versus 10.7... my last car was 4.5!

·
2,084 Posts
none said:
" At 9.7 seconds, the Cube's 0-60-mph sprint performance isn't going to thrill you, but it's more than a second quicker than a Fit automatic. "

I feel kind of funny arguing about 9.7 seconds versus 10.7... my last car was 4.5!
So lets look Apples to Apples then (wow they tested an S too)

Fit Manual 8.3 @ 109hp
Cube Manual 9.7 @ 122hp

Fit Automatic 10.7 @109hp
Cube Automtic 14.0 @122hp

http://www.insideline.com/nissan/cube/2009/2009-nissan-cube-s-full-test-and-video.html

Soooooooo What again? What about that pep?
none said:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ummmmmmm.......

From the link you quoted:

"You have your choice of a six-speed manual transmission or our tester's continuously variable transmission (CVT)......."

"Not that you'll be finding 60 mph in the drive-thru life of the city streets, but if you care you'll find that 60 mph comes up in 9.7 seconds from a standstill ......."

I've never heard of the cube being quoted as slow as 14+ seconds.....

Maybe the Japanese one with a smaller engine????

Dang

·
Registered
929 Posts
ChristineK said:
Cube Automtic 14.0 @122hp
Where are you getting this from? The page you linked to even says different :mad:

(And no, I'm not trying to be mean to you)

Go test your Cube at lunch today. I guarantee it's not 14 seconds 0-60.

·
2,084 Posts
Yes I found it from a reputable source, and I will find it again and post a link for you. However lets re look at what was said to start this?

I did find this one but I do not call it reputable http://www.enewspf.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8662:the-new-nissan-cube-18-sl&catid=88888925&Itemid=88890161

None stated he could not buy a Honda beacuse he needed a little pep at least, these cars compete very closely.

None has tried to bait me on this issue for some time and I have just ignored him.

Just found this too, Cube beat the Fit here. Seams that testing/reporting is kind of all over the place for reporting times.

http://drive.gtchannel.com/?c=142&a=1594

·
Registered
929 Posts
I am not baiting you CK, nor am I trying to be mean. I simply am perplexed as to why people blindly pledge allegiance to Hondas. The Fit is a good example... slower than a Cube, similar MPG (according to their site), yet about 20 less HP.

CK, you are the most decent Honda owner I know. Usually Honda fanatics would not own both a Nissan & a Honda. They would log in here only to troll & cause trouble. I hope this clears up any bad taste you have from my Honda posts 8)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This thread has DEFINITELY gone on some strange random tangent.. The difference you guys are talking about is so small, that nobody would be able to tell the difference. It's really not worth debating. :no:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I don't know. My diesel smart has 40.2 hp, and yes, the .2 is important! ;D

Seriously if you are buying a smart, Fit or Cube for the acceleration, you're buying the wrong car!

Back on topic, I do hope my Cube is going to be a lot less cost to maintain than the smart has been. I like the car (smart), but the costs have been quite a disappointment.

Cheers!

Dang

1 - 20 of 20 Posts