Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
2,084 Posts
I don't know about the utter grief part but yes, its fly by wire. A lot of cars are these days. Kind of scary actually.

I assume you are referring to the recall?

·
Registered
671 Posts
brine99 said:
Does cube use fly by wire system for accelerator like Toyota uses to their utter grief?
FWIW -- there's no indication the drive-by-wire throttle control is at issue with Toyota's recall. It appears to be a condensation problem associated with the mechanical pedal mechanism and a USA manufactured part.

PS. Who knows, perhaps offshore car makers are better off using Taiwan, Chinese, Korean, or Philippine manufactured parts than USA sourced? Kind of a galling thought isn't it :)!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did I read somewhere that Toyota are doing a major recall on several models due to problems with their accelerator setup.
Is that applicable over there ?

·
Registered
671 Posts
lance said:
Did I read somewhere that Toyota are doing a major recall on several models due to problems with their accelerator setup.
Is that applicable over there ?
Hi there, dude:)!

Yes, there are several Toyota models in the U.S. that are currently under recall (together with a production hold and freeze on sales) to correct an accelerator associated problem. It seems under certain conditions, including certain levels of condensation, it's possible for the accelerator pedal to either be sluggish to return to the normal position, or perhaps even to stick in its last position. This can result in unexpected acceleration and associated unfortunate consequences :(!

It appears Toyota has identified the problem as an issue with a part manufactured in Canada -- the accelerator pedal. I understand Toyota has Friday met with the U.S. vehicle safety board and recieved approval for a presented correction for the problem. Hopefully, that correction will not take too long to be distributed to the various dealerships and will allow the vehicles, both on the road and awaiting sale, to be rendered proof from that issue.

·
Registered
394 Posts
My older brother called me yesterday...............immediately told me about the Toyota recall...............(he is and the rest of my family is pretty much all FORD)...............he NEVER remembers or hears me when I say I like all kinds of vehicles.....Ford, GM, foreign...........etc, but he wanted to emphasize that some some off duty Cop or State Trooper and his family were killed because they were going 100+ MPH with a stuck throttle in a Toyota..........months ago.......... I had heard about it previously on the news. While my brother rambled on, I said......"if he was a trooper or an experienced driver, why didn't he just pop the car into neutral and or take whatever necessary action???????" I had a stuck throttle myself many years ago in my Mercury Marquis and the first thing I did when I saw 100 MPH coming and no way to slow down was to pop the the tranny into neutral. It was a VERY sudden and totally unexpected problem, but instead of panic, when I realized I had a problem, I took the necessay action. My brother took the opportunity to say......."one of them goddamn foreign cars!!!" I say.........poor excuse for a driver............expecially if he was a State Trooper.......!!!!! First step is to control the vehicle in an emergency.If You can't even do that...................give it up....... :yes:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Wouldn't help mate.................his ears and brain only process what he has programmed them for. Had it been a FORD recall, he'd never have called me in the first place. (most of our conversations usually result in automobile and truck discussions) that's just the nature of my family. Myself and my liberal brother on the LEFT coast (California) have owned and appreciate all different makes of vehicles. But my RIGHT coast family (Pennsylvania) where I'm unfortuneately stuck, are more simple minded (or SINGLE minded) and just can't get past the fact that a person can like many different makes and models of vehicles. Any and all of them can or will have a recall sooner or later and that's a GOOD thing. Keeps us informed and safe.

Hope to see your country some day. Have done a little reading and actually spoken to a family from Australia for a few minutes one time. They were over here on Holiday and we crossed paths at a Gas Station/Convenience Store. Possibly the most interesting conversation I've had in my life, while we briefly told each other a little bit about our respective countries. I've never forgotten them and wished we could have shared a few hours instead of minutes. 8) You folks are great !!! Even if you DO drive on the wrong side of the road........ ;)

·
Registered
929 Posts
The tragic issue here is that Toyota would have done NOTHING if not ordered by the government. They would have continued to claim it was irresponsible owners who let the floor mat get stuck in the pedal.

Not only that, but what does Toyota do when they got fixed pedals? They ship them to the FACTORY to keep their company going, instead of fixing cars already on the road which might kill their owners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shame on Toyota. They ought to be shut down ASAP.

·
Registered
671 Posts
none said:
The tragic issue here is that Toyota would have done NOTHING if not ordered by the government. They would have continued to claim it was irresponsible owners who let the floor mat get stuck in the pedal.

Not only that, but what does Toyota do when they got fixed pedals? They ship them to the FACTORY to keep their company going, instead of fixing cars already on the road which might kill their owners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shame on Toyota. They ought to be shut down ASAP.
Ordered by the government? Where did you get that from? I was watching CNN yesterday and a government spokesman for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration specifically said Toyota has done the right thing with its handling of the problem.

By the way, the original recall a few months ago was due to people installing aftermarket floor carpets that crept forward and eventually trapped the accelerator -- preventing it from coming back up. Toyota's solution was to shorten the pedal for more floor clearance. (The factory accessory floor carpets can't creep since they are held in position by clips.)

The current recall is due to a condensation induced sticky accelerator linkage specifically associated with the Canadian manufactured pedal.

As far as what they did with the new pedals, the factory already has the distribution system for sending parts to the dealerships, it only makes sense to use the existing system. As for the dealerships, it appears a sticky wicket. It's not yet public whether the dealer will be installing an entire pedal assembly, or just a part. If it's a part (very likely), there will be a technician training issue that also has to be solved. Seems like things are rarely as simple as one would like to think.

·
Registered
671 Posts
none said:
TrevorS said:
a USA manufactured part.
It's actually made in CANADA.
I learned today CTS, the pedal supplier, has manufacturing facilities all over:

"Manufacturing operations, sales representatives and distributors are located throughout the world to serve CTS’ customers. Manufacturing operations are located in Albuquerque, New Mexico; Elkhart, Indiana; Burbank, California; Moorpark, California, Santa Clara, California; Londonderry, New Hampshire; Streetsville, Ontario, Canada; Matamoros, Mexico; Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom; Singapore, Republic of Singapore; Bangkok, Thailand; Kaohsiung, Taiwan, Republic of China; Dongguan, People's Republic of China; Tianjin, People's Republic of China."

·
Registered
839 Posts
ChristineK said:
Is it just a condensation issue? Or is it also a programming issue?
That's the BIG question Christine and I don't think anyone knows the real answer. I understand the sticking gas pedal issue weather caused by floor mats and / or corrosion from condensation in the mechanical part of the throttle pedal. But that still doesn't address the sudden accelleration from a dead stop that some are experiencing.

Think about it, if the problem is floor mats or sticking pedal, that could cause the car not to decelerate when you release the throttle. But several reports are saying that the cars are rapidly accelerating from a dead stop, I would think it's a drive-by-wire software issue. But at this point no one knows. It's now become a hide and watch game to see if anyone experiences the same problem AFTER the fix is installed.

My guess is that Toyota is in fact addressing a problem with the sticking accelerator. But there's also a problem causing rapid acceleration that they haven't been able to find yet. Just my $0.02 - Dan

·
Registered
194 Posts
Please correct me if I am wrong that Camry is part of the recall list. If Camry is on the recall, why the Lexus ES350 is not on the list. These two are twin so I would be surprise the gas pedal mechanism are different between the 2.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Perhaps Toyota spent more money covering up the problems on the Lexus? You never hear about Lexus woes, and the company spends big bucks to keep it that way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts