Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have officially decided to put a deposit down on some equipment for the Cube.

JVC KW-AVX820 (7" touchscreen dvd player with 5 volt output)
Focal Polyglass 165 VR for the front doors

Alpine PDX 4.150 for mids and highs
Alpine PDX1.1000 for the sub

Alpine Type X12 sub

Going to put the new headunit and door speakers first then work my way to the sub amp, box and sub.

I have also decided to try and get carpet for the box that matches the dash topper!

Merry Christmas to me

Once some of installed I will get some pics :yes:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Re: Coming very soon...new car audio set-up

Nice purchases! The PDX amps fit nicely under the seats. The same can't be said for my Polk....so when your system is in... I'll still be looking for an out of the way place to install the amp, lol. I almost bought a PDX.

·
2,084 Posts

I would like a head unit with a display to play some TV or DVD but I also like the use of the steering wheel controls and XM. The stock radio audio is plenty fine for me. But to add the video for long trips would be nice.

·
Registered
263 Posts

Christine, the VX409 from Clarion that I bought at newegg.com is only 200 and you can add the steering wheel controls. I have a base so it doesn't affect me. PM me if you want to ask more about it, I don't wanna hijack the thread.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I will have all the functionality that I had with the stock system. I told myself I couldnt take a step back so it will have the connection for the steering wheel controls, blue tooth and although I choose not to have XM, you can add a simple module to hook up the XM for this unit.

The only thing missing is navigation however I would never have use for it. Bought a Garmin years ago and can say I have used it all of maybe 5 times in that timeframe.

The best part of this stereo is that is detachable face as well...one of the very few double din stereos that has a detachable face. Perfect for us without garages...sigh.

Hopefully it will be installed in the next two weeks...then another two weeks or so after that for the sub box and what not.

·
Registered
175 Posts

Q!Cube said:
I will have all the functionality that I had with the stock system.
What about auto volume increase with speed? Haven't seen anyone mention that. Not a big deal, just curious. You can certainly live without it to get all the other goodies.

Not new, the 1957 T-bird had it. :)

·
2,084 Posts

Rubik said:
Christine, the VX409 from Clarion that I bought at newegg.com is only 200 and you can add the steering wheel controls. I have a base so it doesn't affect me. PM me if you want to ask more about it, I don't wanna hijack the thread.
Thanks Rubik I will, and good point armadillo! What about the audio level VS air cabin noise issue?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Not sure about the auto volume feature...I always turn that off so it doesn't currently affect me. I can find out more when it gets put in :)

·
Registered
263 Posts

fotomoto said:
ChristineK said:
But to add the video for long trips would be nice.
Are you saying you want to watch video while driving?
I know Christine is smarter than that ;).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Official installation date is set for Dec 21st so indeed Merry Christmas to me. I will have to get a quote on the sub box and amp rack and have it done sometime in January.

·
Registered
263 Posts

GL I hope it all goes well for you!!!! Audio Def makes the ride more enjoyable.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Thanks...although now with my never ending mind changing am contemplating going with Hertz HSK 165 over the Focal Polyglass 165 VR. They are pretty much the same price and I have actually not heard either one (heard their bigger more expensive brothers) so who knows. Only bad part is the shop I am getting it all done through doesn't carry Hertz...I guess I will probably have to stick to the Focal.

·
Registered
263 Posts

If you are happy with the Focals (and I don't know why you wouldn't be, Focals are great) stick with them because your dealer carries them, and more than likely they are going to be an official dealer, meaning you get warranty. Grey market usually isn't warranty worthy. Plus if something goes wrong in the install, they won't be able to blame the speakers. I know it sounds lame, but never put it past someone to pass the buck if it is "technically" passable, lol.

·
Registered
108 Posts

Q!Cube said:
Thanks...although now with my never ending mind changing am contemplating going with Hertz HSK 165 over the Focal Polyglass 165 VR. They are pretty much the same price and I have actually not heard either one (heard their bigger more expensive brothers) so who knows. Only bad part is the shop I am getting it all done through doesn't carry Hertz...I guess I will probably have to stick to the Focal.
I'm a FOCAL rep and I sell more 165VR than any other speaker...the pricing is right but the sound is better than any other speaker in that price group. Hands down a great speaker...

I do have a suggestion...If you have not bought your amps yet, you may want to look at an amp with a higher damping factor...The 4.150 has a damping of 80 and a s/n of 78...You will hear a lot less notes and the performance will be sluggish compared to another amp with a higher dampening factor… …this would be a world of difference in sound… Most people overlook these numbers because many don’t know what they mean..class D amps does not really have the ability to control your speaker electronically ..To give you an idea the ARC Audio the ARC 300.4 has a S/N of 95 and a Dampen Factor greater than 800!!! The price is $349 retail!! just a food for thought

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I already own the PDX amps but am never one to look at alternatives and say no way. I will check into it and that is a great price on the Arc amp...if anything I can start with what I have and them maybe upgrade when I start to look at what else I want to do with the set-up.

I have to ask Jason...is it really worth me going up to the KRX2's. I know it sounds like a silly question but its such a huge price difference and really all this is going in an every-day drive and am not looking to compete.

As of now I officially own:

Alpine PDX 4.150 (Polyglass 165VR)
Alpine PDX 1.1000 (Alpine SWX 12" Sub)
JVC KW-AVX820 (ipod audio/video adapters)

I am not going to run rears as the front stage will be enough given the power they are receiving.

The guy really wants to do the Polyglass 165VR3 however I am not a fan of cutting a new hole in the upper portion of my door panel and think a 2 way component set would suffice.

Of course I have never owned a 3 way component set...I guess also the installation of it would also spike based on the custom piece of it all. I like the idea of being able to slap it in and pull it out if ever necessary down the road.

·
Registered
108 Posts

Good question...There are a few advantages but here are the key points that you will notice..
The tweeter- the Krx2 tweeter is a 53mm kevlar tweet instead of a 45mm TNB...The KRX2 is not only bigger but sounds softer and has a better roll off..(and more mounting options)
The Crossover- Krx2 has a better crossover over all...has up to 18db slope and a more detailed x-over
The biggest difference...Power handling...the Krx2 will handle the 150 watts a lot better...This is the set I have and I run a ARC KS125.2 mini amp on them..basically 125 watts to each side they hammer and sound great...

The 165 VR are 150 watts max....I don't think you will have a problem but the Krx2 will handle it a lot better..this is something you may consider since the amp has a low dampening factor...hope this helps

As for if it is worth it?? Thats a hard question...If you feel good spending the money for the 165 VR you will be happy...do not spend out of your confort level...

I have people compete with the entry level FOCAL because they are a way better speaker compared to others out there 3 times the cost...I use mine as a everyday driver(I have 10,000 miles on my cube) and love it

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

It is officially installed although since I picked her up right when they closed I didn't notice that the right front's arent even working!!!

Now a phonecall to get it fixed but the new double din looks and sounds great...well one side does anyway...lol

The one thing I love about car audio...always something to work on but it's okay b/c in the end all will work out great!

So now I am wondering...do I just take up my entire rear cargo space for the box with 1-Alpine Type X 12" sub or should I get 2-8" Kenwood kfc-wx800f shallow mount subs installed in the rear door! The 8's can handle the power and with them mounted in the rear door, I will not lose any space what so ever...darn all these decisions lol.

I also decided to have the amps mounted under the seats so that negates a need for a flashy amp rack.

What do you guys thing?

Big box with a 12" sub or 2-8" subs mounted in the rear door?

·
Registered
38 Posts

I'd do the shallow mounts, if I knew how ;D

how well does the steering wheel control work the head unit? And is that fan on the back of the head unit noisy?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts