Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at the Stillen and how it goes down behind the battery and sits colse to the exhaust I decided to make my own and place it next to the battery where it collects cool air from around that headlight. So far so good, sounds great and the butt dyno likes it. It has only been installed for about 45 minutes so far but the ride home from the welder went a lot better than the first try 2 weeks ago when I had used a 3 inch tube and made it 5 miles before the Cube went into limp mode and I had to drift off into a parking lot. MAF is a PITA. I need to get a slightly smaller filter as this one barely fits in the hole next to the battery. Looked at going down to behind the bumper but the room is just not there without moving a ton of stuff out of the way.

Dink

·
Registered
140 Posts
way to go dink

very clean and proper.

·
Registered
179 Posts
tbone13 said:
way to go dink very clean and proper.
Ditto

ChristineK said:
Any notable performance gain? I also noticed the lack of your strut bar running in your ride? Why?
And ditto. Thanks. 8)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ChristineK said:
Any notable performance gain? I also noticed the lack of your strut bar running in your ride? Why?
Intake:
Butt Dyno likes it and the sound is good. But have not had time to do real dyno testing for it.
Strut Bar:
We are changing the process for building it so it is sitting next to a test piece we are working on at the shop. We think we found a faster way to notch the tubes for welding and it may require a new jig for the bar. The fabricator I am working with is a perfectionist. The design for the bar will stay the same just the method to build it is changing a little to take advantage of a Bridgeport Mill he has.

Dink

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well after almost 600 miles I have noticed an increase in mileage. I Have driven the same route now 3 times last week before installing the intake and now this week after. All 6 times I set the cruise at 70mph and drove the 90 miles. Prior to install I was at an average of 28.4mpg on the dash readout after the install I am now at 31.6mpg. Seems like a nice gain to me. The temp and humidity was roughly the same on all trips ( hot and sticky). So far very happy with the outcome.

Dink

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nice work! 8)

If you want to help keep out a little more heat you could use DEI's thermal sleeve on the tubing behind the MAF.

What size is the inner diameter of the original vs yours?

-Dylan @ Kei Garage

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Downshift1 said:
Nice work! 8)

If you want to help keep out a little more heat you could use DEI's thermal sleeve on the tubing behind the MAF.

What size is the inner diameter of the original vs yours?

-Dylan @ DS1
I was looking at a ceramic coating for the tube to help with heat. The original is matric somewhere between 2.5" and 2.25" I did 2.5" and spaced the MAF the same distance aff the bottom of the tube. The original one that did not work I tried to go to 3" but the ECU did not like that and went into limp mode. I am having the machine shop make more of the MAF flanges if you need any. Turbo sounds fun just not in the budget at the moment.

Dink

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah the MAF scaling goes all wacky when the diameter goes up. :(

Ceramic coating would work but what about the silicone part? ;)

I would definitely be interested in picking up a MAF flange from you, PM me you email and we'll talk :)

Dylan @ Kei Garage

·
Registered
140 Posts
dink74 said:
Well after almost 600 miles I have noticed an increase in mileage. I Have driven the same route now 3 times last week before installing the intake and now this week after. All 6 times I set the cruise at 70mph and drove the 90 miles. Prior to install I was at an average of 28.4mpg on the dash readout after the install I am now at 31.6mpg. Seems like a nice gain to me. The temp and humidity was roughly the same on all trips ( hot and sticky). So far very happy with the outcome.

Dink
that is awesome news!! :eek: :yes: :)

a 10% gain is a huge plus in my book.

great job!

·
2,084 Posts
tbone13 said:
dink74 said:

Dink
that is awesome news!! :eek: :yes: :)

a 10% gain is a huge plus in my book.

great job!
I am with above, nice to see an honest result VS one contribed buy an infomercial. What would the cost of this be to produce in its entirety? I have always wanted to do an aftermarket filter but have never taken the plunge.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ChristineK said:
I am with above, nice to see an honest result VS one contribed buy an infomercial. What would the cost of this be to produce in its entirety? I have always wanted to do an aftermarket filter but have never taken the plunge.
I am sourcing materials now so that I can give an accurate price for these. I am going to use a better filter as the one on it is an Ebay special. I should have more info later this week or early next week.

Dink

·
Registered
179 Posts
Dink, Is yur strut bar compatible with yur intake? :-\ Thanx. 8)

Also, I've been outta the car business a while so I'm a little rusty. :yes: Back in the day.......I understood that breathing easier would increase efficiency and performance for an engine. Do you not also have to tweek the exhaust to take advantage of the intake or is the exhaust over capacity and the intake alone helps by using up that capacity? :-\ 8)

·
Registered
690 Posts
I am sourcing materials now so that I can give an accurate price for these. I am going to use a better filter as the one on it is an Ebay special. I should have more info later this week or early next week.

Dink

Dink: have you considered doing a pkg buy with BOTH of your tasty pieces? i can't wait to see if you're up to an EXHAUST CHALLENGE! 3 Cube items from the Dink! I'd commit!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would definitely be interested once you figure out the price and will probably go with a strut bar, but have to wait until the money starts coming in with my new job. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts