Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's been a lot of discussion about lowering the CUBE and I plan to lower mine at some point. It seems Megan springs have been the lowering springs of choice because it both loweres the CUBE and retains most of the ride comfort. But as we all know, there aren't any shortend shocks / struts available and the stock components are short lived under these conditions. There are some aftermarket shocks and struts that fair out much better but aren't designed for lowering applications. Then there are the complete coilover kits avaiable that addresses every aspect, but they're quite costly. Megan springs are very reasonable, but when you add the cost of a decent set of shocks and struts you're almost at the same price bracket that a set of coilovers would cost. Sooooo, what I'm looking for it this. If you're running any lowering springs on srtock shocks / struts how are things, if you're running ona set of coilovers give us some feedback. - Dan

·
Registered
690 Posts
i will eventually go the coilover route. that is really the only way to get an almost infinitely adjustable ride height set-up. plus they're built to work together as a unit, unlike mixing and matching coils and shocks. i will roll with my megans until i can afford the coilovers. the ride now is very compliant, but tons better than the squishy stock set-up. it feels much more planted for sure. i've had my springs since July and they, by far, are the best and cheapest upgrade you can do for the money. think of it this way....most people will go through a few sets of wheels (see 1HOT....lol!) but you can rebuild coilovers from the good companies, if necessary, and change the ride height for your application without buying new springs and shocks every single time.

gap=wack. get your cube dropped. night and day.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually spaced it out and missed my point in my original message. I agree that coilovers are the way to go if you're looking for maximum adjustability, but that's not what I'm after. The drop of most aftermarket springs would suffice for me but no one makes shortened shocks and struts to go with the springs. And from what I've seen so far, buying a set of springs along with any of the available high quality shocks / struts available would cost just about as much as a set of coilovers making coilovers a better choice.

But my primary concern with coilovers is ride quality. Over the years working on many sport compacts we've used many different coilover kits. Some ride almost as good as stock springs and shocks while others made the car ride as if there wasn't any suspension.

What I'm looking for is feedback from anyone using coilovers on their CUBE / Versa as to ride quality. - Dan

·
Registered
222 Posts
Coilover setups are pretty limited for the USDM Cube right now...K-Sport, Tanabe, and Tein (in the works) are the only companies that have any offerings.

I personally plan on going with Tanabe.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
schtebie said:
Coilover setups are pretty limited for the USDM Cube right now...K-Sport, Tanabe, and Tein (in the works) are the only companies that have any offerings.

I personally plan on going with Tanabe.
Yeah I know there's only two setups currently on the market at this point, and so far I'm considering the Tanabe.

But I'm still trying to get feedback about ride quality. - Dan

·
Registered
263 Posts
Something to consider. Normally I would say Tanabe, but here is the reason Ksport is in major contention IMO.

The Ksport lowers by adjusting the mounting point on the bottom. This has been in use for the past few years. It allows you to adjust lower while still keeping the shock's stroke in tact. This allows for more ride comfort. The only thing that may factor into this is that the Ksport shock may (and probably will be) inferior to the Tanabe shock. I know the Ksport was bashed hard on Zilvia, but they are so elitist over there that it's not funny, and the people that rode on Ksport said it rode good. Is it a Bilstein, Ohlins, or Topline Arogosta coilover setup? No. Does it do good in it's price range though? Yes. In the world of suspension, you get what you pay for, but then again I don't know if I wanna spend 3500 on coilovers for the cube. Also, those other coilovers aren't available for our platform, so it' not a factor, I was just trying to give my overall perspective.

I hope that the OP and others find this information useful.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Rubik said:
Something to consider. Normally I would say Tanabe, but here is the reason Ksport is in major contention IMO.

The Ksport lowers by adjusting the mounting point on the bottom. This has been in use for the past few years. It allows you to adjust lower while still keeping the shock's stroke in tact. This allows for more ride comfort. The only thing that may factor into this is that the Ksport shock may (and probably will be) inferior to the Tanabe shock. I know the Ksport was bashed hard on Zilvia, but they are so elitist over there that it's not funny, and the people that rode on Ksport said it rode good. Is it a Bilstein, Ohlins, or Topline Arogosta coilover setup? No. Does it do good in it's price range though? Yes. In the world of suspension, you get what you pay for, but then again I don't know if I wanna spend 3500 on coilovers for the cube. Also, those other coilovers aren't available for our platform, so it' not a factor, I was just trying to give my overall perspective.

I hope that the OP and others find this information useful.
With those things considered, KSport and Tanabe coilovers are VERY closely priced if you look in the right places. There isn't nearly as big a price difference as you might think.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yes they are. I found Ksports for about 100 and some change cheaper. Don't get me wrong, the bottom mounting bracket being the ride height adjustment point has honestly swung me in favor of the Ksport. I was just giving people some thoughts and pros and cons to try to help them make their decision. In the end El Dizzle made a very nice comment in the H&R thread. He said it was about the person and their ride. Truer words have never been spoken.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hmm...interesting. I've been quoted some really awesome prices then or something.

But true, at the end of the day, it's up to what the owner wants to do to their car. :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
1Hot,

What made you decide on the Ksports? It may help this thread be more useful to board members in the future.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Rubik said:
1Hot,

What made you decide on the Ksports? It may help this thread be more useful to board members in the future.
Like said before, there is two adjustment features on the ksports. The upper adjustment and the lower adjustment. This helps control how stiff or how soft you can make the suspension. The longer the strut has to travel, the rougher the ride and vice versa. All of the other choices feature just a single adjustment, meaning the lower you go, the rougher the ride but just depends on how good the shock is in the setup. Since we have a rear setup with a shock and spring seperate, its tought to control the rear of the car as apposed to the front. I plan to go as low as I can with the new 18s on and rock a oem lip kit.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would go with Tanabe's sustec...
http://www.tanabe-usa.com/s0c.asp?id=6

I've had good results with them in the past and present... Plus they offer pro210 springs which has different spring rates for other uses. Which is pretty neat... Just wish I can use the TEAS on these though.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Pube said:
I would go with Tanabe's sustec...
http://www.tanabe-usa.com/s0c.asp?id=6

I've had good results with them in the past and present... Plus they offer pro210 springs which has different spring rates for other uses. Which is pretty neat... Just wish I can use the TEAS on these though.
I pulled the trigger and ordered a set of Sustec S-0Cs. We'll see how well they ride after I install them.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
schtebie said:
I pulled the trigger and ordered a set of Sustec S-0Cs. We'll see how well they ride after I install them.
Cool, this is what I'm looking for. Feedback from someone who has them. Please keep us posted and your thoughts once installed. I plan to get some coilovers sometime after the holidays. - Dan

·
Registered
78 Posts
Awesome... good luck. Hope you like them!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts