Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, last car I got, was a new 99 Camry...it did not come clear coated.. so.. I took it an had it put on..
that was 10 years ago... so..

I assume if I didn't pay extra on the SL, it don't have clear coat.. but.. in 10 years advancements are made...
should I have it put on?? is there something "better"??
thanks in advance..

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is no such thing as a dumb question, just dumb answers. Very good odds that there is already a clear coat on your Cube. One way to tell is to take a rusty nail and scratch the paint down to the bare metal. :no:

Only really cheap cars (Kia Souls, BMW's, Scions :yes:) don't have clear coat on their non-metallic finishes. Metallic finishes have a clearcoat.

·
2,084 Posts
I thought all cars had a clear coat, as most paint today does not reveal its actual desired color without clear coat. I went looking specifically for Nissan and I kept running into the rubberized scratch paint that Nissan revolutionized years ago.

The pearl white has clear coat as the pearl is in the clear and not the base paint. Also in this thread http://www.nissancubelife.com/forum/index.php?topic=1397.0
you can see after just wax the scratch is mostly gone, thus giving appearance of a clear coat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks!! I also had tried to find out on nissan site, and other places... they sure don't want to make it easy..
so, Ill just have a detail-er use some good wax on it!

·
2,084 Posts
Actually if it is in the clear, as in the end of the link posted above, the use of polishing compount will fix it. Be careful doing this yourself, if the detailer is going to do it, they will know the drill.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks... don't have any scratches yet.. and wanna keep it that way...that's why I was wonderin about the clear coat..

·
Registered
7 Posts
all cars have some sort of clear coat, it has too to protect the paint, it can be applied mixed in the paint and or after vehicle is painted, if it is repainted is is cleared after base coat is dried, it depnds on the painter and youre wallet, usually 2 coats are put on, and dont scratch the car, is that person serious, no offence, but if you dont know the answer, dont put some idiotic statement out there, no offence, but come on, if you want to know, the answer stop in at our local body shop, and if there good they will answerr any question you have

1 - 7 of 7 Posts