Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a brand new Cube 1.8 with 50 miles on it on Jan 19th. Within the 3 weeks of ownership, I now have 2030 miles on it!! I have some plans for this little guy in the future as far as mods and such go.

As of right now, I have installed my trusty Scan Gauge II which I have set up to give me readings on TPS, MPG, Intake Air Temp and H2O Temp.

Just last week while I was at work, I got my windows tinted. The stock rear tint is 15%, so I had him add more 15% on top of them, then 35% on the front doors. Tomorrow he's coming back to put 50% all the way down the windshield and a 15% strip across the top. The reason for the tint on the windshield is to protect the dash over the years from UV. It's super light tint so it won't hinder night vision.

Just a few minutes ago, I ordered a set of black Maxxim Screech 15x7 wheels for the little toaster. I ordered +38's for the front and +15's for the rear. I'll be using the stock Toyo 195/60 tires on them.

In the somewhat near future, I plan on dropping it at least an inch at all four corners, maybe 1.5". The final call will be made after I have the new wheels on. I'll also be adding an anti-sway bar in the rear. And if the stock shocks don't take well to the new lower stance, I'll upgrade the shocks, but I think a 1 - 1.5" drop will be fine on the stock shocks. I want to keep the stock ride quality as much as possible.

Somewhere around or in between this time, I'll be doing some minor work on the stock stereo system as well, upgrading the base model headunit with the top of the line headunit, installing the stock sub/amp/enclosure combo, getting another pair of cheap base model speakers for the rear doors, then installing dampening material on all four doors, the hatch door and roof.

Almost forgot!... I also want to get the stock front and rear ground effects from the SL model and the side skirts and rear wing from the Krom, a drop-in K&N air filter and a BMW style duel tip muffler.

Anyway, here's a few pics...

The day I brought it home...

A comparison of the stock tint and the new tint...

And a "googled" pic of the Maxxim Screech wheels I just ordered...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Did I read this right???your tinting the entire windshield? I thought that is illegal to tint the entire windshield since you will get distortion from the tint.I can see doing the front side windows but NOT the windshield... :no:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may be, but like I said, it's the lightest tint you can get. It should look like regular untinted glass. Also, there won't be any distortion as I already looked through his windshield and everything looks perfectly fine.

·
Registered
464 Posts
You know window tint film scratches easily and will fog eventually. Are you in Canada? because from what I understand it is illegal to tint the windshield in every state. If you want to protect your dash use a spray for it there are plenty of brands that do the same thing... I guess I just don't get tinting a windshield is all. I rode in a car where someone tinted their windshield and it hurt to look out of it I got a headache from the distortion. Once it is on that is it for your windshield, it's a real pain to remove.... :sick:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've done this several times before with no ill side effects. There is NO distortion.

Anyway, I hope this isn't going to be the topic of discussion in this thread. There's many more interesting things to talk about here...

·
Registered
464 Posts
There are many UV protection sprays for your dash, I use good old Meguiars PROTECTANT with UV Blockers and it cost less than a tinted windshield....end of conversation...

·
Registered
170 Posts
All this sounds good..can't wait to see pics with the tint all the way around. I had a buddy who tinted his front window as well and no such distortion. I suppose as long as the window film quality is top notch no such problem should exist. He had it for 5 yrs and never had any issues.

Are you going to use Dynamat for your sound deadening material? If so I am really curious to see how much a pain the roofing part of it will be/is.

I have an aftermarket sound system but now after listening to my buddies this weekend I want to revamp the sub section...oh how it's easy to spend the money and hard to spend to make the adjustments..ha

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Q!Cube said:
All this sounds good..can't wait to see pics with the tint all the way around. I had a buddy who tinted his front window as well and no such distortion. I suppose as long as the window film quality is top notch no such problem should exist. He had it for 5 yrs and never had any issues.

Are you going to use Dynamat for your sound deadening material? If so I am really curious to see how much a pain the roofing part of it will be/is.

I have an aftermarket sound system but now after listening to my buddies this weekend I want to revamp the sub section...oh how it's easy to spend the money and hard to spend to make the adjustments..ha
Thanks! I'm still waiting for that guy to come back and finish the job. He had to run down to Miami over the weekend and was supposed to be back yesterday to finish the windshield but I have yet to hear from him. And no, I didn't give him full payment yet either.

I don't know what I'm going to use yet for sound deadening material. However, when it comes time to do it, I may just call on the professionals to do it for me. I doubt I'll have the time for it, plus living in an apartment complex, it's really not the best place to do such things. Gets the nosy neighbors curious as to what's going into the vehicle, if anything.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well after much research and pondering, I finally decided tonight to purchase a 55 watt bi-xenon HID kit in 4300k. I ordered them from Retro-Solutions on eBay. I got a better price there than on their own site.

The HID kit I bought for my Miata a while back was one of those cheap $50 35 watt kits in 8000k. That system sucked and normal halogens were brighter! I decided to not make the same mistake twice!!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Apparently no one cares about the HID's, but maybe the new wheels will show a little interest. Better pics to come hopefully this weekend. For now, you'll have to suffer with my iPhone pics!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Nothing but love. Lookin good. Now just get her LOW. I really also wish that Nissan wouldn't have given us BALLOONS for tires. Makes it harder to acheive a good look without goin major plus size, which good wheels like these aren't available in. Awesome!

·
Registered
690 Posts
wheels look good. now drop dat sucka! too back ya can't go +1 or +2 on sizing. to eliminate that wack gap, you're gonna hafta slam it. oh wells. i'm assuming it's your daily, right? great start. keep up the good work so far mang!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys!

Yes, I know I need to lower it, but I think it's going to take a little while because I think I'm going to save up for the Nismo kit which includes matched shocks and springs for the Cube. Although I don't know how much that kit lowers the car. Hopefully not too much.

And I think this wheel/tire combo will look much better once I clean up those tires. Lookin' all flat black nad dirty isn't helping any right now.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, so I got my HID kit in yesterday and just installed it today. The install went nice and smooth. I'm amazed at how much room is under the tiny hood to put stuff. The hardest part of the install was putting those small wire clips back over the back of the new bulbs and reinstalling the rubber boots (which I had to trim a little).

I can't wait until tonight when it gets dark out to take the new headlights out for a test drive. Also, if I find the time today, I'm going to take some decent pics of the Cube with its new wheels on, being that it's all nice and clean right now.

Till then... ;D

·
Registered
672 Posts
What kind/brand of HID did you get? What temperature?

Jerry

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jerryc41 said:
What kind/brand of HID did you get? What temperature?

Jerry
Look at post #8 above. ;)

·
Registered
839 Posts
Chops said:
Well after much research and pondering, I finally decided tonight to purchase a 55 watt bi-xenon HID kit in 4300k. I ordered them from Retro-Solutions on eBay. I got a better price there than on their own site.

The HID kit I bought for my Miata a while back was one of those cheap $50 35 watt kits in 8000k. That system sucked and normal halogens were brighter! I decided to not make the same mistake twice!!!
Good choice on your HID's. I'm not a big fan of retro fitted HID's into halogen housings because of light scatter. But with that said, I think you made a good choice by going with the 55 watt Vs the 35 watt, also the 4300k bulbs will give you more usable light than the higher k value bulbs. Anything above 5000k is too blue and actually gives off less light. They may be pretty to oncoming traffic but as a driver, if the lights don't give me a benefit they're useless. Aloha, Dan

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Square1 said:
Chops said:

Good choice on your HID's. I'm not a big fan of retro fitted HID's into halogen housings because of light scatter. But with that said, I think you made a good choice by going with the 55 watt Vs the 35 watt, also the 4300k bulbs will give you more usable light than the higher k value bulbs. Anything above 5000k is too blue and actually gives off less light. They may be pretty to oncoming traffic but as a driver, if the lights don't give me a benefit they're useless. Aloha, Dan
Thanks Dan!

I took it out for a test drive tonight and there's really no light scatter that I can see, if any at all. As far as scatter is concerned, it looks the same as stock. Now I can tell you this, these things are bright and pure white! It's a night and day difference between these and the stock halogens.

Anyway, here's a few new pictures that I took today. Let me know what you guys think!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Well I for one think you're on the right track and your Cube looks awesome, and I'm jealous of the color. Mine is super Black but I saw the Sapphire Black the other day and it's one of the prettiest blacks I've ever seen. BTW, what part of FL are you located? Our son lives in Port St. John so we visit from time to time. Aloha, Dan

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Square1 said:
Well I for one think you're on the right track and your Cube looks awesome, and I'm jealous of the color. Mine is super Black but I saw the Sapphire Black the other day and it's one of the prettiest blacks I've ever seen. BTW, what part of FL are you located? Our son lives in Port St. John so we visit from time to time. Aloha, Dan
Thanks again Dan! ;)

In all honesty, the way Nissan did up this paint, it's not really even black as you can tell. I really like it. I was originally going for that green or charcoal color they offer, but am glad I got this one instead.

I'm almost directly west of your son on the other coast in St Pete.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts