Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the check engine light come on a couple months back. I took it into the dealer for service and they reset it, and mentioned that it was due to a "cold start"...whatever that means. They told me to bring it back in if the light showed up again.

Well, two weeks ago it did. I took it back in and they reprogrammed the computer. There was a Nissan code next to the work they did, and it was covered by warranty. No charge!

Just an FYI, this is something Nissan apparently knows about. If you get the mystery check engine light and nothing seems wrong, this could be it.

BTW, Stadium Nissan in Seattle has been fantastic for service!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I started my Cube at -31 this morning.... no check engine light.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Did you get a code ?

·
Registered
152 Posts
It was probably P1421 for cold start control. TSB NTB-10-089 mentions it, but doesn't really say much. As this is handled by the ECM, a reprogram is probably the easiest and cheapest place to start with a fix attempt.

Good luck.

·
2,084 Posts
Yes this is a known issue. The cold start issue is not due to the temperature per say but actually the engines ability to reach optimum temp in a preprogrammed time. If it does not it throws the code. I had this issue and a reprograming is supposed to fix this but your ride will still be cold! Automobiles need to employ electric preheaters to make up for the lack of engine heat to deploy comfort. My 2011 F-350 has heated seats and I can tell you it makes a huge difference! You dont even need heat when your backside is warm.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, boxhead, that was the exact issue. Good to know what throws it.

We've got heated seats in our Odyssey. They're really really nice. Don't see that becoming an option for the cube though.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you're willing to spring for them, the Wet Okole seat covers offer the option of heat in them. I'm pretty sure the Clazzios do as well. I did not pony up for the extra expense, I live in TX where it's considered gauche to have something as silly as heated seats. The last time it snowed in this city was in 1985.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If it was me, I will just run a parasitic test to know the problem but not starting means the battery might be faulty. I hope there will be a more detailed way to solve the problem.

·
Registered
152 Posts
As the O/P stated, there is no problem starting. It is just a CEL.

It doesn't really have anything to do with the the car getting warm. It's just another one of those stupid emmission control things we love to hate. Sometimes I think they are taking all this global warming bs just a little too far. The number of sensors they put on todays cars, is getting way out of hand. I wouldn't mind so much, if they weren't so expensive to replace when they crap out.

·
Registered
658 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Speaking of cold starts, we had ten inches of snow on Tuesday and Wednesday. I could not get out yesterday. THe roads are still bad but I made it to work. I stopped at a light then turned left on hard packed snow and ice. I slowly applied gas and the Cube rolled forward with no slipping or sliding. Once I finished the turn and was straight. I pressed on the gas pedal and the rpm did not climb and the car was just crawling. I stopped for a light and when it was gree turned left up a hill and everything was fine. I did not see the traction control come on so I wonder if the CVT was having a brain clould.

Christine did this happen with your first CVT> Thx.

Patrick

·
Registered
261 Posts
pixiedrea said:
If you're willing to spring for them, the Wet Okole seat covers offer the option of heat in them. I'm pretty sure the Clazzios do as well. I did not pony up for the extra expense, I live in TX where it's considered gauche to have something as silly as heated seats. The last time it snowed in this city was in 1985.
Wouldn't you know after I said this we had a tiny amount of snow here? LOL. A whole 1/2 inch to be exact!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but I think it's nice that the southern states are getting some snow. I've lived in the northeast all my life, and I've always looked forward to the snow. Sure, it's a nuisance to shovel, and driving can be tricky, but it is one of Nature's wonders. All those tiny flakes falling and piling up to make beautiful scenery. It's good that people, especially kids, who hardly ever see snow get a chance to watch a snowfall.

We've had over a foot of snow on the ground for over a month, and I still like it. When all this snow melts we're going to have a real mess - flooding and mud.

·
Registered
175 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
I read your review when you originally posted it. Obviously, you would need a Bluetooth GPS for that ecoRoute to work. I have a Nuvi 650, and I don't think it has Bluetooth.

It's amazing what they can with electronics these days.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found my Nissan Cube does this when I let it warm up in the winter. If I clear the code, and don't let it warm up before driving it in the winter the error doesn't return. As soon as I let it warm up, the error comes back. I replicated this a few times.
My theory is that the controller is expecting the timing to be within a certain range after a few minutes. By letting it idle on cold mornings, it doesn't meet this timing and errors.

My state emissions test in due in January, so this is a problem for me. I clear the code (I use the gas pedal/ignition method) then don't let it idle cold until I get 30-50 miles on it so I can get the emissions test done. As soon as I let it idle to warm up, the SES light comes back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts