Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not that big of a car buff so of course I got a question. What is a cat-back exhaust? I know it is changing the pipes right after the catbox and you are supposed to get an increase in performance. My question is how much of a performance would a typically cat-back give and are they generally loud? Or can the loudness be changed through the pipe, muffler, or tip? I was talking to this guy about getting a custom exhaust for my krom for $500. I am thinking of running dual exhaust with the tips coming out of the black holes in the bumper. I am not sure if wit will work out not though with the spare tire location. If not a single exhaust will work and was thinking of have a fake tip placed in the passenger side. Do you think $500 would be too much?

·
Registered
472 Posts
a cat-back exhaust is exactly what it says, it goes from the cat, back. perfomance gains vary depending on pipe sizing, the amount of bends, and the quality of the bends, the same goes with the sound. i hope this helps.
BTW: 500 isnt too back for a custom catback considering most catbacks can cost up to a grand and a axleback exhaust for the cube costs 400

·
Registered
839 Posts
Exactly what insanely said. A cat back is everything from the cat rearward. Generally a cat-back will increase flow but doesn't always increase power and oftentimes decreases power cause it alters the back pressure. But coupled with a few other mods like a better flowing intake etc. the gains can be very good.

Dual exhaust outlets although complex is doable if you get a good fabricator and would look good.

If you can get an exhaust shop to custom build you a cat-back for $500.00 that would be a great price as long as they know what they're doing and mandrel bend your pipes.

As far as sound goes it's always a crap shoot, especially with a 4 banger. 4 bangers tend to get loud, raspy, and drone, when you open up the exhaust, but with the right muffler and resonators you could get lucky and end up with a great sounding system. Just make sure your exhaust people are willing to work with you and try other mufflers / resonators if the first one doesn't work out.

Good luck and please be sure to post up and let us know how it turns out. - Dan

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
talked to the guy on the phone today and he said that he will try and do a dual exhaust, but I think it will be unlikley due to the spare tire location. He told me that he was also going to try to get the lowest tone possibly for me. I would really like the tone of an Infiniti fx35. Hope that works out. I am going to go see him on wednesday for a consultation so he can look at the car and see what he can do. I do already have a stillen intake, so hopefully with a catback I will see better performance gains.

With the two mufflers in the cube would they end up removing them both? If they did would that void the warranty in any way or change emissions?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Chompsticks said:
With the two mufflers in the cube would they end up removing them both? If they did would that void the warranty in any way or change emissions?
With a decent cat back coupled with your intake you just may see some performance gain. If they're going to do a complete cat back they will most likely replace both the muffler and resonator. As far a warranty goes, no modifications will void a warranty unless that part / component can be proven to have been the direct cause of damaging your car.

Example. Lets say you install lowering springs. The new springs themselves will not be covered under warranty. Then let's say somewhere down the road you're cat fails. Those parts aren't related and a dealership would be hard pressed to say your cat went out because of your lowering springs. And in your case, lets say you do a cat back and at some point your cat fails. Even though the components are related, a dealership would be hard pressed to prove the cat back caused your cat to fail.

Read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, it's your friend.

http://www.free-lemon-law-guide.com/the-magnusson-moss-act.php

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Getting a new exhaust system next week on wednesday! They are going with a magnaflow catback system with a 2 1/4 inch pipe, 10 inch resonator I could be wrong on the sizes, I can't remember correctly, and they are going to do the dual pipes. However they cannot get it through those little black slots on my bumper, so I chose the tip that looks like a rectangle and will have two of them coming out in the center of the car. They also use mandrel bends and they said that they would switch out parts if I didn't like they sound. I hope everything will workout great!

I am going to call him tomorrow to get the exact details on what is going to be done and what parts will be used.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Chompsticks said:
Getting a new exhaust system next week on wednesday! They are going with a magnaflow catback system with a 2 1/4 inch pipe, 10 inch resonator I could be wrong on the sizes, I can't remember correctly, and they are going to do the dual pipes. However they cannot get it through those little black slots on my bumper, so I chose the tip that looks like a rectangle and will have two of them coming out in the center of the car. They also use mandrel bends and they said that they would switch out parts if I didn't like they sound. I hope everything will workout great!

I am going to call him tomorrow to get the exact details on what is going to be done and what parts will be used.
Sounds like a plan. I thought of going with dual centered tips as well. Please keep us posted. - Dan

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got my exhaust installed! It sounds great! I had taken a before clip of the sound before installation and there is a big difference. It mostly sounds like my stillen intake got amplified. go here for the pictures

http://www.nissancubelife.com/forum/index.php?topic=1542.20

Could not get a sound clip of the before because my laptop doesn't work anymore. After sound will come eventually.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts