Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With today's snow the hill by my house was very slippery. It is a steep hill and I found myself stuck about half way up. I was the only one having any trouble with the hill. The light came on that the traction was bad and it just seemed like the car wouldn't move even though I was accelerating. Is this the CVT transmission? Am I not driving it right?

·
Registered
315 Posts
It's not the CVT, it's the vehicle stability control (button under the dash between the mirror adjustment buttons and the gas tank/hood levers). Get stuck in the snow: turn OFF the stability control and try again, GENTLY to get unstuck.

Funny you should post this, though... we had 1" of snow (Which is not much here in WI) and my wife was telling me after running a short errand this morning that on one of the hills she had to go up, she felt the car "was heavy in the ass"... i.e.: doesn't like to do uphill in the snow very much... Chances are snow tires vs all seasons would make a difference.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Sorry to report that I have not had any troubles in snow up to one foot. You may have just hit a spot of ice at the wrong moment?

·
Registered
315 Posts
That is very possible, too... We've had it in the low 30's during the day and freezing at night... so it is very possible that there was some ice under that little bit of snow...
We only have 500 miles on the odometer, so I can't say we've driven it in a lot of snow so I can't really judge its snow performance yet. It was just odd that someone posted about it the same day my wife had talked to me about it.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Another thing to look at - tire pressures. I seem to recall some members inflating theirs greatly over 30 PSI for summer fuel economy, which "IMHO" is not conducive to snow driving.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll be sure to try turning the VDC off next time. It just felt like the tires weren't moving even when I pushed the pedal. I really think it was just me as 3 cars were able to drive around me up this steep hill. I literally was not moving at all - stuck about half way up the hill. Snow gone today so I couldn't test it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes If you run into that again just shut it off. The system takes over the good old drive by wire gas pedal to help keep traction. I have to turn mine off to get out of our drive way which is a hill. But turn it back on once you get going because it also is part of the stability control as well. I wish that they would have a traction control button as well a button for the stability control.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Marilynfan said:
I'll be sure to try turning the VDC off next time. It just felt like the tires weren't moving even when I pushed the pedal. I really think it was just me as 3 cars were able to drive around me up this steep hill. I literally was not moving at all - stuck about half way up the hill. Snow gone today so I couldn't test it.
What others said, its the VDC. :yes: I had the same thing happen here in December. I figured it out just as I was about to crest a hill doing about 2 mph. I thought I was going to stall out. I didn't want to stop and push the button and slide down the hill. Wasn't sure I could press it as I was moving....or almost not in this case. I was able to test later that evening and the next day horsing around in a parking lot. 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts