Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My immobile (Dead CVT at 135K) Cube sits and gathers dust. I just can't seem to chunk it to the junk man because MOST of it still is in great shape! I can't afford 4K$ to put in a new CVT. I was wondering if a standard trans can be put in? In the old days that was not such a big deal, but these days...who knows? Do you know if this is something I could expect a Nissan repair place to be able to do without any huge mods needed? The point is to save some money. 500$ for a standard trans rather than 2000$ for a CVT plus 2000$ labor is what I am expecting. Dallas, TX area.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Actually, why not put a new engine in it, I've seen tons of cube engines from japan for sale on craigslist for $500, especially in Los Angeles. That would be the best and cheapest route I would think. They may be able to ship it to your location. Just need to find a decent mechanic who will install the engine, I don't think the labor is gonna be more than $1000 that's my guess.

I put a few links to one of the ads for a Nissan cube engine for $500. If you can't find any cube engines in Dallas, then search Los angeles and type cube engines like 7 or 8 places popped up that sells JDM engines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why would he put in a new engine? It's his transmission that's bad not his engine.
I agree, but I wonder if JDM has a connection for him to get a manual trans? There’s a couple of Facebook groups (USA & international) who might be able to offer some direction too.
Just a thought. Take care.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree, but I wonder if JDM has a connection for him to get a manual trans? There’s a couple of Facebook groups (USA & international) who might be able to offer some direction too.
Just a thought. Take care.
I got lucky and bought a 2012 Cube, with a 6 speed manual only 36k miles. One year later it has 40k miles. My 94 Nissan pickup has 270K miles with a 5 speed manual. I've had it 10 years and it still has the factory clutch and pressure plate. It had 40K miles when I bought it in 2010. Nissan manual transmissions are nearly indestructible.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Okay, smart one did you not read his post where he said the new cvt would cost $4000, A new engine that has the transmission is only $500 do the math dude.
You may be correct but I doubt it. I didn't bother to look at the pictures which show the engine and CVT. Their minimum price for a CVT is $850. Why would they sell both the engine and CVT for $500. Most parts resellers keep the engines and transmissions together until they get a buyer. There are some buyers who may want both. Also buying a used CVT would be a crap shoot. Nissan had to extend the CVT warranty from 5 years/60,000 miles to 10 years/120,000 miles due to a class action law suite. Just say'n dude.

·
Registered
144 Posts
All the engine Ive seen comes with the transmission, You can buy just the transmission, but never have seen where they sell a whole engine without the transmission personally.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So... I was wondering if it's feasible to remove and replace a dead CVT with a standard transmission. In the past, this was not all that hard to do with cars, but today with all the new computer stuff, it may not be all that easy. Obviously a clutch and clutch pedal would have to be installed. Is there room for this already? Has anyone ever done this or know of it being done, and if so, is there anything out of the ordinary that needs to be taken into consideration?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts