Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello every one i want to black out my tail lights with the sprey stuff. has any one done that yet. and if so do you have any pic and was it hard to do? also how do you take out the tail lights from the car so i can spray them

·
Registered
167 Posts
my buddy used that stuff on his truck on some aftermarket cab lights he mounted to eliminate some of the orangish glow. 2 of the 3 streaked up badly and the only is very hard to see now. BE CAREFUL when using this stuff. You may be able to use paint stripper to remove it but I haven't dummy tested any lights myself. I talked to him about doing my lights and he said use his left over can IF I was willing to risk the chance of messing up my factory lights and having to contact Nissan for some new ones. Buy a junk lens at a salvage yard for a few bucks and practice if you attempt it. Let us know if you succeed.

·
Registered
839 Posts
There's some stuff on the market sold today as "Night Shades" that people are using to tint their lights etc. This stuff is actually a throwback from spray on window tint we used back in the 60's. The problem with this stuff is that it it's original use it was designed to be sprayed on glass pretty heavily from top to bottom then allowed to flow off leaving a nice uniform film. When left to dry it gave a nice tint. I've seen many people using this tint today on taillights, headlights, etc. I've seen it used both the conventional way allowing it to flow as well as sprayed on using several light coats, both with equally good results. The problem with this stuff is that on glass it doesn't etch, but on plastic the strong chemicals etches it's way into the plastic lens. At first it looks nice and shiny, but after a while the sun bakes it and it becomes dull kinda like a matte to flat black appearance. Once sprayed on it's a real PITA to remove without leaving the lens dull and rough. I think a better option is plastic film window tint, it remains shiny and can be removed leaving the lens intact. - Dan

·
Registered
464 Posts
I remember the OLD spray on window tint from the 60's it was a real pain, I agree with you use window tint film. All you need is a heat gun or your wife's/girlfriends hair dryer to make the film fit the curves of the lens. Use plenty of water and a plastic squeegee along with the heat gun to get all the bubbles out behind the film and to stretch the film along the curves. Good luck... hey what ever happened to the CLEAR LENS faze ???

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ebay has the film tint for the headlights for around $16 but I figured the weather would remove it after a few good rains and washes. Wonder why they don't make a taillight kit too?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts