Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's something about HIDs from Wikipedia. Yeah, I know Wiki isn't necessarily 100% accurate, so decide for yourself.

The four lamp Bi - Xenon systems on some cars (BMW for example) use beam deflection on one pair of HID Xenon lamps for main and high beams. The second pair of lamps contain standard halogen bulbs for the headlamp flash function, they are not used in normal running. HID lamps take a few seconds to reach full output and their service life is seriously reduced by flashing on and off, for these reasons they are not currently used for any flash function.

Jerry

·
Registered
161 Posts
JerryC.....

Good post!

That makes sense. Flashing Xenons is almost pointless.

I'm halfway done installing my Xenons. Wow, when you remove the bumper and the headlights, the cube looks like it's been in the worst accident ever. There is nothing left below the hoodline. (I'll post some pics when back in town.)

Cheers!

Dang

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why remove the bumper?

Are you the one using the projector headlights - taking the OEMs apart?

You sure travel a lot. We fly so seldom, that it's an adventure, but doing it on a regular basis must be a chore. Last year we flew from NY to HI - many hours, but it was pleasant. No long lines, no delays, no problems at all. I like flying, but my wife hates it.

Jerry

·
Registered
253 Posts
I didn't remove anything when installing my Bi-Xenon HID's. Well, except for the stock halogen bulbs! :p

·
Registered
167 Posts
When I installed my HIDs, all I removed was the stock bulb and one screw in the fenderwell to mount one of my boxes. The other side had a hole for a screw. Took about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Jerryc.....

Yeah, I do fly a lot, and yes it really sucks. My work takes me across the country every second week. Sure keeps the miles off the car though...

Chops/@[email protected]

At the risk of offending some people on the board....

I wish there was another name for those bulbs people install. No auto manufacture does that. A "true" HID system (for lack of a better term) is made up of two parts, the discharge bulb and the projector lens to focus and control the light. If all you do is the bulbs in a halogen housing you usually actually get less light on the road, as you lose a lot of the light energy to scatter (unfocused light). That scatter is also what blinds other drivers and gives HIDS such a bad name. It makes the front of your car look bright so people think they look cool, but that's not really the point of headlights is it?
I hate those bare bulbs with a passion. A proper projector focuses the light, and has a cut off (typically ecode spec) so, unlike the bare bulbs, they focus the light on the road and don't blind other drivers. A hint that someone's done those bulbs as they post a picture only of the front of their car, instead of the road in front of the car. In some countries (like Germany), it's also required (by law) to have a washer system (dirt can scatter light as well), and an auto leveling system. I've done that in previous cars, but didn't put a washer/leveler in the cube.

Anyway, off my soap box. Yes, to do the proper HID setup with a projector housing is a bit of a big job. First off the lights are closer to $700-$1000. You also have to remove the front of the cube (which is surprisingly easy), and then disassemble your headlights to put the projectors in.

Hopefully I get it done this coming weekend, but might take one more. These projectors happen to have the cats eyes as well. I'm not a huge fan of those, but they look OK.

There is actually a Nissan sealing product I'm waiting for to put the headlights back together. Even the Honda and BMW guys use the Nissan product. It's quite good.

Cheers!

Dang

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds good. I hope you're taking pictures as you go.

Jerry

·
Registered
253 Posts
Dang said:
Chops/@[email protected]

At the risk of offending some people on the board....

I wish there was another name for those bulbs people install. No auto manufacture does that. A "true" HID system (for lack of a better term) is made up of two parts, the discharge bulb and the projector lens to focus and control the light. If all you do is the bulbs in a halogen housing you usually actually get less light on the road, as you lose a lot of the light energy to scatter (unfocused light). That scatter is also what blinds other drivers and gives HIDS such a bad name. It makes the front of your car look bright so people think they look cool, but that's not really the point of headlights is it?
I hate those bare bulbs with a passion. A proper projector focuses the light, and has a cut off (typically ecode spec) so, unlike the bare bulbs, they focus the light on the road and don't blind other drivers.

Cheers!

Dang
This is very true of the cheap $50 eBay kits and older HID kits/bulbs. Although if you do your homework, pay a good amount for the proper HID kit with the new style bulbs, you do not get the typical scatter. The new, better HID bulbs these days are actually designed for use in conventional halogen reflector units and produce the same beam pattern as the halogen counterpart.

The HID kit I purchased is one of the better kits. They have the same exact light pattern as the stock halogens, but much whiter and brighter. There's virtually no scatter at all that I can see. No one is blinded by my headlights as I'm sure I would have been flashed several times by now if that were the case.

Also, even with the older and cheap HID kits, to reduce 95% of that glare/scatter/blinding light to on-coming traffic is to simply realign the headlights after installing the cheap HID's. That's exactly what I did in both my '02 Chevy Blazer and '02 Mazda Miata. I had no issues with either of them blinding people. Though being 8000k, 35 watt bulbs, they were nowhere near as bright as my current 4300k, 55 watt bulbs.

Don't worry, you didn't offend me at all. ;)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Chops....

You're right. I don't have any experience with them, but I understand there some "bulb kits" now that are of higher quality and try to minimize the scatter problem. If that's what you put in, then I applaud you for that!

Those cheap/old ones (and usually at some stupid value like 10k) should be banished.

Cheers!

Dang

·
Registered
253 Posts
Dang said:
Chops....

You're right. I don't have any experience with them, but I understand there some "bulb kits" now that are of higher quality and try to minimize the scatter problem. If that's what you put in, then I applaud you for that!

Those cheap/old ones (and usually at some stupid value like 10k) should be banished.

Cheers!

Dang
Yep, that's what I put in. I figured I just bought this car new and I'm going to have it for quite a while, so everything I do to it, I'm going to spend the extra cash and do it right the first time. My first HID kit for those first two cars ran me a total of $42 shipped! This kit I have on the Cube, darn near $200 shipped! You can definitely tell the difference.

·
Registered
50 Posts
@ Dang

I'm going to be a nitpicky jerk here and casually mention the fact that the 08-09 models of Altima Coupes have an optional factory HID system without projectors. Weird, huh? Upon closer inspection, the reflector bowls are cut ever so slightly differently, but enough that it's got a proper cutoff. :D

Now, I'm curious as to what kind of projectors you're using? I was considering doing this project as well, but wasn't sure the Cube's headlights were deep enough to properly mount projectors...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts