Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you added a backup camera? I'm going to put one on my Cube, but I'm wondering how to run the wire into the car from the back door. I thought I'd mount it near the washer nozzle. I don't like the idea of the wire running over the top of the door, but I don't like the idea of drilling a hole, either, since it would have to be about 1/2" diameter.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I got mine to go to the liscense plate. Takes a little fishing of the wire though. What I did was take apart the tail lights. then the rear interior panels. I also took off the plastic under guard below the rear bumper and fished the wire through one of the liscense plate brackets. There is a lot of fishing around, but I got it to where the wire does not show at all.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Had this is the high mount brake light thread before I realized this was here. :-[

I'm considering removing my inside rear view mirror and replacing with a camera and screen. Maybe you've done some research and might be able to help me. Will the b/u camera work a full duty cycle or are they only for intermittent? I'm taller than the average bear and the mirror is in my line of sight. I've rotated it 180* which raises it about a half an inch and I removed it for a while which works great but kinda like having that view. Any ideas? :-\ Thanks. 8)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds like a great idea. I wonder if it's legal to remove the mirror, though.

My camera will connect to my Pioneer head unit when I get it installed. It will turn on when I put it into reverse, but they say I can also turn it on to keep track of what's behind me, like for checking on a trailer I might be pulling. Since these cameras are designed to turn on with the back-up light, all you'd have to do is put a switch up front somewhere and turn it on when you want it. Better yet, have it turn on when you start the car.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I considered putting the camera by the license plate, but I wanted it up higher to keep it cleaner and avoid damage. Right now, I have a back up sensor (beeper) on the license plate. I will remove that and put it up front. When I'm pulling up close to something, it will beep and let me know when to stop. I'll have it on a separate switch.

I was able to run the beeper wire from the rear to the front without removing any panels - just the floor trim by the doors. Straightened coat hangers are handy tools. I'm doing the same thing with the camera wire - just running it behind panels, rather than removing them.

The only wire that will show will be the one from the XM antenna. I'm putting it into one of the recessed areas on the roof and running it back under the back door gasket. Since it's up on that high roof, it really won't show.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts