Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my cube today. First thing I noticed is they don't come on when you open the door! Is that normal? That's when they're actually useful! Lights were dealer installed. Maybe they messed up?

I've tried all the settings in the quick reference and no joy.

Other than that, it's great! Took it out for a quick spin, going out later tonight. Amazingly quiet, but then I came from a modified Eclipse GS-T.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Looking at Nissan's description, it's turned on and off with a knob. They make no mention of it being tied into the door open switches (dome light circuit).

"Adjustment knob turns lights on and off, selects color or can set illumination to cycle mode"

PS. Just ran across this kind-a-cute video called "MoodLighting" :)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8h5sf5vmmQ

·
Registered
161 Posts
That's correct. They go on with the knob that's located in the centre near the cup holder.

........but that's a good idea. I might modify mine to come on with the door since I'm just putting them in.

Cheers!

Dang

·
Registered
179 Posts
FWIW mine come on with the interior lights. I leave the accent lights on even when driving and that might be the difference :-\ 8)

·
2,084 Posts
You would need to use a relay.

It would energize the mood lighting from the domes then switch to the center console control once the doors are closed.

I think you would see a brief flicker as the power was switched between sources. The actual power source would remain the same just the priority switch would change.

I see a problem with the ignition on, engine running and the door open, both switch sources would tell the relay to be on. But again the main source of power is the same and the relay is still separated so maybe nothing would happen.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
672 Posts
Read the reference card that came with the lights. There are lots of ways to control them. You can have them come on when the door opens - depending on how the domelight switch is set. They can be set for one color or rotate through all colors.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Here's the Quick Reference Guide.

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm... thought I replied a while ago but don't see the message. What I said was that I read the guide 1000 times but there was no mention of doors. Guess I got the impression they worked with the doors from the ad where Mr. Cool opens the door and you can see they're on. And every car I've owned turns on floor lights when you open the door. So this was a feature request, I guess. :) Also, the guide mentions a "room light," which is either the map or dome light, but I tried both. No mention of a room light in the owner's manual.

I determined that if you leave them on all the time, they do work with the doors (usually, sometimes they don't). If left on, they will turn off in 5 minutes. I can live with it, just too bad they don't work like the kickplate lights.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If they turn off while running, other than by you turning them off, something is wired wrong. Mine come on with the door or remote, stay on while running and when I exit they go off with the interior lights when I close the door and lock with the remote. my .02 8)

·
Registered
672 Posts
That's exactly how mine work. They're not so bright that they are distracting, but they provide a nice atmosphere.

Jerry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts