Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night in a parking structure, I got into the cube and headed off. As I pulled away from the parking spot I sensed something was wrong as I tried to accelerate. I would depress the gas pedal (more than usual) and it would take a while to accelerate. I drove for about 3 miles through a mountain pass where acceleration was not as responsive and there seemed to be a lag of some sort. So I pulled over, put it in neutral and stepped on the gas pedal. The rpm did not go up. I then put it in drive and pressed the gas pedal all the way down and the same thing happened, no response, wth. So I restarted the engine and did the same thing. This time the engine revved up. I drove again and everything seemed to be fine. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I take it into the dealer? Might be an issue with the electronic throttle system. I wonder if the CVT may also be involved.

Btw, my cube just hit the 12000 mile mark when this happened

·
Registered
107 Posts
I can't speak to what might be causing the problem, but I would get to the dealer ASAP! That could become a serious safety issue if it were to happen say while you are in the middle of an intersection. Good luck!

·
Registered
981 Posts
yeah, take that straight to the dealer.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm so glad I special ordered my 6 speed manual! :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow there's a club! Yeah, safety is definitely my main concern. I was waiting to make a left turn earlier in the day on a busy street and didn't even want to think about what if the accelerator started to act up as I made my turn. I wonder if the dealer will put in a manual transmission in place of the CVT. I like the CVT's mpg better though.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Seriously doubt it. However never hurts to ask of yours fails.

Who besides the EPA says the cvt gets better mpg?

I get 30 city and highway very tank unless I abuse the gas and I get 27.5ish.

·
2,084 Posts
Well here is the video I showed the dealer in Atlanta as I was headed home to Huntsville. The car left me stranded many times.

http://www.youtube.com/v/dzuKr34X_dg&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded

It was not until I had this on my computer that they took me seriously. If you look you will see I had 13002 on the odometer after taking it to the dealer only days before for the same issue in Savannah GA it was more like 12800 then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Christine, Thanks for sharing your video. That's exactly what happened to me. I might have to show that to the dealer just in case. So, is it the CVT that caused the problem? Did replacing the transmission fix it?

·
Registered
981 Posts
lando said:
Wow there's a club! Yeah, safety is definitely my main concern. I was waiting to make a left turn earlier in the day on a busy street and didn't even want to think about what if the accelerator started to act up as I made my turn. I wonder if the dealer will put in a manual transmission in place of the CVT. I like the CVT's mpg better though.
tell us if that works, i would love to do that.

·
2,084 Posts
yoyowhatup22 said:
lando said:
tell us if that works, i would love to do that.
Yeah Exactly!

I was in that situation, I was just off the freeway in Savanna GA on a busy intersection and the cube failed right in the middle of it (I was going for that left turn). People were pissed and blowing there horns from all four sides like I was the idiot, and I had no control.

·
Registered
4 Posts
lando said:
So last night in a parking structure, I got into the cube and headed off. As I pulled away from the parking spot I sensed something was wrong as I tried to accelerate. I would depress the gas pedal (more than usual) and it would take a while to accelerate. I drove for about 3 miles through a mountain pass where acceleration was not as responsive and there seemed to be a lag of some sort. So I pulled over, put it in neutral and stepped on the gas pedal. The rpm did not go up. I then put it in drive and pressed the gas pedal all the way down and the same thing happened, no response, wth. So I restarted the engine and did the same thing. This time the engine revved up. I drove again and everything seemed to be fine. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I take it into the dealer? Might be an issue with the electronic throttle system. I wonder if the CVT may also be involved.

Btw, my cube just hit the 12000 mile mark when this happened
Good day! I have a cube and having that same problem. But it would not accelerate for just a few seconds. My cube is only at 5k mile mark now. Did your dealer have a findings now of what exactly is the problem? Did they replace some parts in your cube? Thank you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Uh oh I smell a recall coming on :mad:. I have a cvt equipped cube and it hasn't posed any problems yet and I'm at the magic mileage mark now. Transmission will fall out now tomorrow cuz I said that....

·
Registered
686 Posts
Last week after I just had just started the car and tried to pull away from the curb I got no response from the accelerator pedal of our 6 speed cube.

·
Registered
582 Posts
No issues here. I doubt a recall with the extended warranty miles on the CVT. Generally not that many Nissans have CVT issues although I think we have had five here?

Pejay66

·
Registered
142 Posts
If I did a full fledged emergency stop with ABS on (happens a lot in Vancouver, unfortunately), the car will accelerate very slowly for a few seconds.

The revs would climb normally though but it won't go somewhere for at least 3-5 seconds. It seems that the CVT is programmed to slip up on the TQ converter after an emergency stop due to abrupt change in speeds?

Anyone else experience the same?

·
Registered
271 Posts
hk20000 said:
If I did a full fledged emergency stop with ABS on (happens a lot in Vancouver, unfortunately), the car will accelerate very slowly for a few seconds.

The revs would climb normally though but it won't go somewhere for at least 3-5 seconds. It seems that the CVT is programmed to slip up on the TQ converter after an emergency stop due to abrupt change in speeds?

Anyone else experience the same?
Yes this happened to me the other day after an emergency stop. Kind of felt like the e-brake was pulled or the brakes did not want to let go. But then went back to normal like you said.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts