Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
2,084 Posts
Agreed mine too. You can totally hear the compressor kick on. Sounds normal.

What I want to know is what is the servo sound when you turn off the engine and open the door. It is behind the instrument cluster. Once you grab the handle there is a zip sound, what is that?? ???

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've been getting an odd rattle when my A/c is on. Sounds like it's coming from the engine bay or under the car. I'm going to schedule a service appointment to get it looked at.

·
Registered
105 Posts
ChristineK said:
What I want to know is what is the servo sound when you turn off the engine and open the door. It is behind the instrument cluster. Once you grab the handle there is a zip sound, what is that?? ???

I have a feeling it it the steering wheel locking mechanism. ??
Maybe somebody can enlighten us. :yes:
Have not heard the zip sound.What handle are you grabbing.
Japanese call the steering wheel "Handle" pronounced with Japanese intonation.
Cheers,
Bryan.

·
2,084 Posts
CubeLuvIt said:
ChristineK said:

I have a feeling it it the steering wheel locking mechanism. ??
Maybe somebody can enlighten us. :yes:
Have not heard the zip sound.What handle are you grabbing.
Japanese call the steering wheel "Handle" pronounced with Japanese intonation.
Cheers,
Bryan.
I have a feeling it is associated with the push button stop/start. Once you turn the engine off, the doors unlock, then you open the door and ZIIIIP. But maybe it is a steering wheel lock, makes sence and it is in the right location. I have ZERO issues with the vehicle, just curious what the noise is.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sorry to thread jack. Does anyones A/C make a high pitched woosh sound in the engine bay when the A/C is first turned on? It almost reminds me of water going through a hose when the tap is first opened.

The reason I ask is because I brought my car to the service department this morning. Of course I can't get the A/C to cause a rattle like it was doing the other night. The service manager said a different sound wasn't normal (whoosing) but another guy that came up said it sounded like the alternator clutch. As far as I know there is no such thing. The regulator controls the voltage not a "clutch" but I didn't want to argue and leave a bad impression my first time in their shop.

·
2,084 Posts
Alternator clutch HUH :eek: Sounds like the old muffler bearing trick :yes:

Mine makes noise but it is not an unusual sound, my little FIT is similar as it is a tiny motor trying to turn all that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
ChristineK said:

Mine makes noise but it is not an unusual sound, my little FIT is similar as it is a tiny motor trying to turn all that.
Yup. That's about what I was thinking this morning.

Getting my car back in a minute. Just waiting for the transport vehicle to pick me up. So far I have mixed feelings on Nissan's service. I know all dealers do it but these kind of things bother me.

Negatives -
Blamed rattle on upgraded alternator. Now this would be fair if the reason wasn't a story. I was told my belt is too tight. When I told him I owned the Factory Service Manual and that it is well within spec the story changed and now the alternator is not lined up properly :roll: I'm going to take it home and reshim the alternator. It is possible it slid over since there was a small gap.

Positives -
Friendly on the phone.
Friendly in person.
Called with update.
Performed all requested services and inspections quickly. It was a pleasent change to have everything looked at that I asked for the first time.

·
2,084 Posts
If you put aftermarket parts in there it will always the the aftermarket part or labor performed as the stated problem. This will be a problem with any aftermarket part in the main loop of function. Air filters and such aside.

If the oil pump fails it will be the alternators fault ;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Boxcar said:
another guy that came up said it sounded like the alternator clutch. As far as I know there is no such thing.
He may have misspoke and meant the compressor clutch. But...ya never know. :no: 8)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have that (what I think is god awful) noise when I turn on the AC hubby said it is normal for Nissan. LOL I told him no noise is normal.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah, I too have the AC compressor kick. I asked about it the first day and the tech could only tell me that it was normal and there wasn't a recall..... yet.... Probably the only thing I dislike about it is that noise, just seems like the compressor shouldn't do that. (plus I live in AZ so I have the damn thing running 360 days a year.... Minus 4 days when it rains)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Well I don't know if this thread is good or bad news. Good that I'm not alone in hearing this "noise"/sound upon cold start ups in particular. Bad in that it sounds like a non-traditional engine noise to me. :-\

·
Registered
582 Posts
The compressor makes startup moan, but I am used to it on my SL with climate control.

Pejay66

·
Registered
270 Posts
ChristineK said:
No, there is such a thing as an alternator clutch. I know some motorcycles have them when they are driven by internal chains from the crankshaft. It helps lessen the the shock/load on the system during rapid rpm changes.

Like most auto designs that utilize drive belts, I highly doubt the Cube has one though.

·
Registered
157 Posts
greed mine too. You can totally hear the compressor kick on. Sounds normal.

What I want to know is what is the servo sound when you turn off the engine and open the door. It is behind the instrument cluster. Once you grab the handle there is a zip sound, what is that?? Huh?
i get the same sound sounds like a gyro spooling down

1 - 17 of 17 Posts