Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced noise coming from the air conditioner fan motor?
It sounds like (lack of a better description) a playing card in bicycle spokes-a low thumping noise that increases in speed as the fan speed is turned up. Once on each cube, it turned off and wouldn't come back on for a few minutes.

Also at times, the fan will surge when on high-you can feel it almost as if the fan is struggling to blow air. It is intermittent and occurred on both my 2010 and this 2011 both with auto climate control. I took the 2010 to the dealer three times and they finally replaced an actuator or something, but the problem came back. I traded it in and now have the same problem on the new one.

I have spoken with several service writers at the dealer and none have heard of this problem. Getting ready to take it in..any suggestions or ideas? I can't believe I'm the only cube with this problem!!

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
659 Posts
This probably doesn't apply to your cars, but I have had that type of fan noise in different cars. If something gets stuck in the blower housing, the fan will hit it and make noise. As the thing moves around, the noise can come and go. I've always waited for the leaves, or whatever, to get chewed up and the problem solved itself.

Let us know if you get a solution.

·
Premium Member
2,222 Posts
I have actually noticed the playing card sound. Don't hear it alot but once in a while. Not sure what it is.. It's obviously getta be near the fan itself. I'll have to wait till the weather gets a little warmer around here to take a look and see what it is.

But if you do happen to find out then post up the solution.. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you look at the Tech Service Bulletins (top of the forum first page) for the cube, under Heater and Air Conditioner, you will find a reference to NTB 10140, which describes a problem that sounds similar to what you have experienced. It may be worth looking into.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the same problem with my cube, it doesn't happen all of the time but it does happen often! I can't stand the surging!!!! Every time that I take it to the dealer it stops making the noises so I end up looking like a crazy person!!!! :mad:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Next time you go to the dealer, leave your straight jacket at home and tell him about bulletin NTB 10140.

Jerry

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I'm still having the problem-it's on and off and when I try to get it to the dealer it seems to quit..the fan stopped completely twice for about five minutes, then came on again all by itself..I think this problem is with the automatic climate control...anyone else having the noise and fan surging know what it is? I'm trying to get more info so I can take it in..

Thanks!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I took my cube to Tom Peacock Nissan here in Houston. Since the A/C finally kept continuously making the thumping noise and surging, I was able to sit the service writer down inside so he could hear and see what was happening. With my 2010 cube, it was an intermittent problem that they couldn't duplicate, and I traded it in under warranty so they could deal with it. So I got a call today from service who advised that they were replacing the blower motor and some other part and it should be ready tomorrow..I will post when I get it back and let you all know what was done, and if it is really fixed..

By the way-the service bulletin I was told was an unrelated problem..

·
Registered
1 Posts
So yesterday I was driving my 2007 Mazda 3 s 2.3l and the a/c was running fine. It does sometime make a little rattle sound but nothing big. I started the car later on and went to turn on the a/c and the compressor came on, but nothing came out of the vents. The fan will not come on at all. It want come on for the heat or any thing.

I called the dealer and they said it sounded like resistors maybe one or two. Does this sound right or has any one else had this problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the exact same issue with bike spoke /playing card noise. It ended up being a damper on the engine torque strut tensioner. It had broke off and was rattling around. The blower motor issue with ac usually is either cabin air filter needing replaced or blower motor resistor is out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone noticed that the vents aren't blowing like they should? Would this be related to the blower motor? And my dial for the defrost or fan is broken. If I find one more thing wrong with this car, I'm going to scream.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Have you ever changed the In-Cabin Air Filter? If it is blocked the airflow will be reduced.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Last summer mine did the same and I changed the in cabin filter and it fixed it have to take the glove box out to get to it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Blower motor resistor

Ok I found blower motor but cannot find the resistor . My fan quit working after only working on max. So trying to get these changed.2009 cube base model

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have bought my first Cube last week, a beautiful 2019 model shipped from Japan. Imagine my surprise when I heard strange noises coming from the right side fan motor. Even though the other parts of the car are flawless this tiny defect kept bothering me. The noise wasn't something that could cause worries it was just annoying. Me, being a perfectionist, I couldn't calm down until I opened that fan up just to find a piece cloth, a tiny one hitting against the fan and causing the disturbance. It was a relief.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts