Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the correct section to ask, but my 2010 Cube makes an intense whining noise right when I start it up. And then gets quiet after a few seconds but is still present. It gets a little louder when accelerating. The sound seems to be coming from the engine area. I thought it could be a power steering issue because I had a Honda Civic make that sound before but upon further investigation the Cube doesn’t have a power steering fluid area. Also read it could be transmission or alternator but the alternator proves to be just fine. Any info can help! Please and thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2009 cube does that to only when it’s been raining or really humid out and I’ve narrowed it down to the belt but like I said it only happens when there’s moisture in the air and only when I first start it up in the morning

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Cube
8 Posts
I have a 2012 and when I drive long distances it starts to whine towards the end of my journey .
It's a whine like the power steering fluid is low. But was told by a mechanic that it's my CVT transmission and it's on it's way out. :cry:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2012 and when I drive long distances it starts to whine towards the end of my journey .
It's a whine like the power steering fluid is low. But was told by a mechanic that it's my CVT transmission and it's on it's way out. :cry:
Im sorry to here that , I have a manual transmission and I’ve read a bunch of problems with the CVT transmission but the whining noise from my cube is just a belt and only does it when it’s been raining or a lot of moisture in the air and it’s only when I first start it up then it goes away

·
Registered
6 Posts
try reading some of this stuff idk if it will help you just type in the year and model and hit search and it says some stuff on the CVT transmission

·
Registered
2012 Nissan Cube
8 Posts
Im sorry to here that , I have a manual transmission and I’ve read a bunch of problems with the CVT transmission but the whining noise from my cube is just a belt and only does it when it’s been raining or a lot of moisture in the air and it’s only when I first start it up then it goes away
Thanks
I will check the belt just to be sure. It would be nice for it to be a belt. I still have 2 1/2 years to pay on him.:confused:

·
Registered
44 Posts
So sorry to hear that you may have a CVT issue. I've read your posts since you joined and you've always seemed so happy with your Cube. I have a 2012 with a 6 speed manual. I wanted a Cayenne Red Cube with a 6 speed and low miles so it took quite a while before I found one with low miles (32K). I have a friend who bought a 2013 Cube with 90K just 2 months before I bought mine. Having done research I found that there were a lot of problems with the CVTs over time. I've tried, without success, to convince my friend to have the CVT fluid and filter changed on her Cube but she hasn't done it yet. Everything I've read states that the fluid and filter should be changed every 60K miles or less. The thing that destroys the CVTs is heat which breaks down the fluid. There are two variable diameter pulleys in the CVT. They have to be in perfect sync to keep the metal belt that goes around them tight. As the diameter of one pulley gets smaller, the other ones diameter has to get larger. This keeps the belt tight between the pulleys. The fluid is what changes the diameter of the pulleys through hydraulic pressure. As the fluid gets dirtier, the pulleys start sticking causing the diameters of the two to get out of sync. This can cause belt slippage. I know this is a long explanation but... Since the whining has just started, it may be worthwhile to see if changing the CVT fluid and filter might stop the whining. I don't know what a fluid change and filter change costs but it would definitely be a fraction of the $4K+ cost of a new CVT. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hope this help.

That's incredible! I wonder how many dealerships have convinced owners they need a new CVT ($4K) when all they needed was a fluid and filter change? Of course, not doing the regular 60K mile changes can result in permanent damage to the CVT.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts