Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use my cube mostly for around town (under 65 mph) driving. On a recent road trip, after a few hours driving my Cube started acting really funky. I've recorded a video of what is was doing, but for those that can not see the video I will describe the issue:

On the interstate, between 60 and 75 MPH, I apply enough gas pedal (just touching it with my foot) to maintain my speed. Occasionally the cars rpm will jump 500 / 1000 rpm for a split second, and you can feel the car surge forward for a split second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zCuFzP1eLM

Anyone else have this issue?

I'll be stopping by the dealership this week to see what they say ...

·
Registered
46 Posts
MDracer76 said:
I use my cube mostly for around town (under 65 mph) driving. On a recent road trip, after a few hours driving my Cube started acting really funky. I've recorded a video of what is was doing, but for those that can not see the video I will describe the issue:

On the interstate, between 60 and 75 MPH, I apply enough gas pedal (just touching it with my foot) to maintain my speed. Occasionally the cars rpm will jump 500 / 1000 rpm for a split second, and you can feel the car surge forward for a split second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zCuFzP1eLM

Anyone else have this issue?

I'll be stopping by the dealership this week to see what they say ...
Hi there,
I'm sorry that you are having the surge problem. There are quite a few of our members (including myself) had this problem with the 09 CVT and we all ended up replacing the entire CVT under warranty.
You can check this thread out & good luck.
http://www.nissancubelife.com/forum/index.php?topic=1988.0
Cheers

·
2,084 Posts
Don't let them ignore the codes as meaningless. A side note that the issue will not occur if the transmission is cold (not the engine) so if they let it sit and then test drive they wont see it. If you let it go as well the car will strand you, It happened to me bad.

Lots of details in the other thread

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks C.

Took it to the dealer this AM. They just called, and were able to simulate the issue. Dealer says they are running a few more tests, and will get back to me with an action plan.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have 18,767 miles on the 09 Cube. I've never seen a surge as you describe. On the highway in cruise it will move slightly with the rise of the road and fall as I descend. Without cruise I have seen it move a bit more and that is my foot adding gas. I am not saying some have had issues. However, the number seems small and I don't believe there is an issue with the 09 CVTs.

Patrick

·
Registered
582 Posts
I meant to say some have had issues like Christine. But if they all were bad it would really be an issue. No one has has had that issue at my dealership in Amarillo.

Patrick

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agreed, this seems to be a limited issue... unlike my 2003 350Z's transmission which was ALSO replaced (but that was a well known, documented TSB from Nissan.)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:

Dealer still has the car, and is still talking to NNA about what to do to fix it.. you would think that they would have just changed the trans by now. :/

·
2,084 Posts
I found out that the car can clear some of its own codes as the resolve them selfs! Thus if it is a heat issue and the car goes thru diagnostic and the car is cold it will not show your issue. This was my problem

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE:

Dealer ordered a new transmission, and is installing it. Should have the car back Tomorrow. I am also having them replace the fuel pressure sending unit, since my Cube never seems to show the right fuel level after I fill it up. (it is always 2 bars low)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Never had a problem with my 09 cvt other than with the fuel gage, until this week. Well not really a problem, but I've noticed a difference in the engine noise while idling. A little sort of different hum, kind of a stuttering hum.

Today though, while driving in my neighborhood, I heard a "chirping" of some sort, my sis and I were like WTF? I am about to hit 24,000 miles, and it hasn't even been a year yet. Probably gonna hit the dealership if it continues for the next couple of days...Hopefully it ain't nuthin. :-\

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the cube back yesterday afternoon.

New transmission installed free of charge (Thanks Nissan USA)

Few things to note:

• In the service ticket the tech noted // low trans fluid level, and metal particles in the trans fluid.
  • New transmission is virtually silent, no humming sound at low speeds, or as I come to a stop
  • Acceleration around town is smoother. I have not taken it on the highway yet, but expect it to be just as nice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
so does the problem only start after a few hours long road trip?
i wonder if i should bring my car for a road trip just to see if i am another victum :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
slamdunk6 said:
so does the problem only start after a few hours long road trip?
i wonder if i should bring my car for a road trip just to see if i am another victum :(
I don't believe the problem 'started' or was caused by the road trip. I think that the long trip just caused the issue to become more apparent.

Update on new trans:

Took the cube out almost all weekend, no issues on highway, or city driving. New transmission feels MUCH smoother, and is virtually silent. The old defective transmission was very noisy and not smooth from the get go. I'm pleased.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Last update:

Took the Cube on a road trip to Topsail NC, from Northern VA... Roughly about 400 miles each way. No issues to report on the transmission.

·
2,084 Posts
I am headed to orlando this weekend and the last long trip I took to Savanna GA (6 hours) was the trans killer. This trip is about 10 hours each way. I have to admit new trans and all I am a little nervious, having gone thru the hell in Savannah and Atlanta.

I have noticed a few odd RPM jumps and what seem to be hesitations like if you were downshifting in a manual trans, but overall no issues. I only have 4K on the new transmission.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I hope your trip goes well for you. I earned my undergrad degree at Armstrong Atlantic University. I also finished flight training at Hunter before going back to the Corps. Have a good trip.

Pejay66

·
Registered
1 Posts
2009 Nissan Cube have RPM Issues?

On the way to work this morning my cube acting up at the Stop Lights . I stop and once I took off it wasn't moving , I step on the gas pedal RPM didn't moved , keep stepping on the gas pedal the car didn't moved , & finally it took off but on the next light it did the same thing . 100,000 some miles on it . I don't know what's going on with my cube this morning?

Any thoughts ?

Anthony

·
Registered
1 Posts
sounds like you have a vacume leak..If you take a propane bottle and run the gas around the head you will find the leak.could be a cracked hose goo dluck.

I have a 2010 nissan cube with 73k miles,new windshield,tires ,battery and updated interior,book value is high i am in new hampshire i want
2800.00.I love this car but inherited another vehicle and i have too many cars.With some tlc this car will be a diamond.Cruises awesome.603-661-5506 new hampshire

1 - 20 of 21 Posts