Current vs Average Fuel Consumption - Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Current vs Average Fuel Consumption

I found there are two kinds of displays for Fuel Consumption. According to the manual, one is Current Fuel Consumption, the other is Average Fuel Consumption. The both are displayed with l/100km (in Canada). In my Cube, the former says 30 l/100km, the latter is 6.9 l/100km currently. To me, the average fuel consumption 6.9 l/100km makes sense. What is the current one? I wonder why it is so high. It would make sense if it were 30 mpg instead of 30 l/100km. May I know what those are for other people? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 07:32 PM

Re: Current vs Average Fuel Consumption

30l/100km is the highest the computer can calculate, you'll find your real time mileage rising to 30 when you're sitting in traffic stopped

maybe its been unable to calculate or you sit in traffic quite a lot

Quadraphonic sound, a waterbed, and now a strobe light. Gentlemen, say hello to the second-base mobile
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks BLCKNBLU. But, it said 30 l/100km right after I started engine before driving at all. I should reset it, shouldn't I?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 09:10 PM

When you just start it, or you are sitting still it should actually read infinity l/100 km because you will never go 100 km ( you aren't going anywhere). You cannot be re-set. It constantly re-sets itself. Its only use is as a tool to teach you how to get better fuel economy. When you "floor" it you will see the number increase dramatically, when you are coasting it should be near zero. With the US models it shows mpg with 0 being bad and 60 great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2014S, (Previously a 2010 6sp, and 2013cvt) All red exterior
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks tomcj2. I'm not sure if I understood. I have never left the display at the Current Fuel Consumption mode while I was driving. I have only seen the display when I was parking. That's why I always see it 30, isn't it? I think I should check it while moving the car. I guess I will see the number constantly changing. Am I understanding right? Thanks.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 07:22 PM

The way I understand it, the computer compares the fuel flowing into the engine with road speed. If you are sitting at a light idling, you are getting 0 mpg. Coasting down a hill, it is using practically no fuel, so it goes to 60.00 mpg (in the USA). It isn't actually getting 60 mpg; it's basically traveling for free, so it could be 200 mpg, but Nissan has it display 60 mpg while it is not pumping fuel in there. Coasting down a long hill, it will eventually go back to something reasonable as more fuel is used to keep the engine running.

I like to watch the instant mpg. Going up even a slight incline will drop me to 15 mpg. Same for accelerating from a stop. I've seen readings below 10 mpg.

Doing the math after a fillup always gives a figure different from what the computer says.

Jerry

2009 Steel Gray 1.8SL
Pioneer AVIC-X910BT Navi Head Unit
Pioneer ND-BC20PA Backup Camera
XM and iPod adaptors
LED DRL
Interior LED Accent Lighting
LED interior bulbs
NRG Carbon Fiber Hood Dampers
FIAMM Horns
Seat Covers
Car Cover
http://catskillcam.com
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 08:18 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to luthernil

I certainly agree about the idea of the connection between fuel flowing into the engine with the actual speed. Haven't tried doing the math though.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________
fuel injection kit
fuel system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page