Check Engine Light: Cold Start - Page 2 - Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 10:15 PM

Re: Check Engine Light: Cold Start

As the O/P stated, there is no problem starting. It is just a CEL.

It doesn't really have anything to do with the the car getting warm. It's just another one of those stupid emmission control things we love to hate. Sometimes I think they are taking all this global warming bs just a little too far. The number of sensors they put on todays cars, is getting way out of hand. I wouldn't mind so much, if they weren't so expensive to replace when they crap out.

2010 Cube SL, Sapphire Blue Onyx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 07:07 AM

If you buy the $500 Garmin GPS, you can add a $100 accessory - ecoRoute HD. It connects to you car's computer and gives you all sorts of info.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=38354

2009 Steel Gray 1.8SL
Pioneer AVIC-X910BT Navi Head Unit
Pioneer ND-BC20PA Backup Camera
XM and iPod adaptors
LED DRL
Interior LED Accent Lighting
LED interior bulbs
NRG Carbon Fiber Hood Dampers
FIAMM Horns
Seat Covers
Car Cover
http://catskillcam.com
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 12:57 PM

Speaking of cold starts, we had ten inches of snow on Tuesday and Wednesday. I could not get out yesterday. THe roads are still bad but I made it to work. I stopped at a light then turned left on hard packed snow and ice. I slowly applied gas and the Cube rolled forward with no slipping or sliding. Once I finished the turn and was straight. I pressed on the gas pedal and the rpm did not climb and the car was just crawling. I stopped for a light and when it was gree turned left up a hill and everything was fine. I did not see the traction control come on so I wonder if the CVT was having a brain clould.

Christine did this happen with your first CVT> Thx.

Patrick

2009 Nissan CUBE
Black/SL Package/Spoiler

Semper Fi

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiedrea
If you're willing to spring for them, the Wet Okole seat covers offer the option of heat in them. I'm pretty sure the Clazzios do as well. I did not pony up for the extra expense, I live in TX where it's considered gauche to have something as silly as heated seats. The last time it snowed in this city was in 1985.
Wouldn't you know after I said this we had a tiny amount of snow here? LOL. A whole 1/2 inch to be exact!

2010 Nissan Cube
2002 Acura RSX
1998 Nissan Frontier
1985 Nissan Stanza Station Wagon - The Original Toaster!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 06:20 PM

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think it's nice that the southern states are getting some snow. I've lived in the northeast all my life, and I've always looked forward to the snow. Sure, it's a nuisance to shovel, and driving can be tricky, but it is one of Nature's wonders. All those tiny flakes falling and piling up to make beautiful scenery. It's good that people, especially kids, who hardly ever see snow get a chance to watch a snowfall.

We've had over a foot of snow on the ground for over a month, and I still like it. When all this snow melts we're going to have a real mess - flooding and mud.

2009 Steel Gray 1.8SL
XM and iPod adaptors
LED DRL
LED interior bulbs
FIAMM Horns
Seat Covers
Car Cover
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 08:23 PM

We have had more snow in Alabama than has fallen in Colorado. All the kids are sick of it!

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryc41
If you buy the $500 Garmin GPS, you can add a $100 accessory - ecoRoute HD. It connects to you car's computer and gives you all sorts of info.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=38354
The EcoRoute HD works with much cheaper GPSs. I have one on a 1390T. Should be able to get a compatible GPS for $200 or less. Works great! See my writeup here:

https://www.nissancubelife.com/forum/...p?topic=3763.0
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 06:54 AM

I read your review when you originally posted it. Obviously, you would need a Bluetooth GPS for that ecoRoute to work. I have a Nuvi 650, and I don't think it has Bluetooth.

It's amazing what they can with electronics these days.

2009 Steel Gray 1.8SL
XM and iPod adaptors
LED DRL
LED interior bulbs
FIAMM Horns
Seat Covers
Car Cover
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 05:11 PM

I found my Nissan Cube does this when I let it warm up in the winter. If I clear the code, and don't let it warm up before driving it in the winter the error doesn't return. As soon as I let it warm up, the error comes back. I replicated this a few times.
My theory is that the controller is expecting the timing to be within a certain range after a few minutes. By letting it idle on cold mornings, it doesn't meet this timing and errors.

My state emissions test in due in January, so this is a problem for me. I clear the code (I use the gas pedal/ignition method) then don't let it idle cold until I get 30-50 miles on it so I can get the emissions test done. As soon as I let it idle to warm up, the SES light comes back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page