Intake adds better fuel economy? - Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums

Old 05-05-2010, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Intake adds better fuel economy?

I've heard from "people" that if you add an intake you get better gas mileage. Obviously I don't know if its true or not, so i'm asking whoever that has an intake does it give you better or worse mileage? In my opinion i'm assuming less mileage because supposlby adding intake gives you an extra 2hp+, and more hp burning more gas? Well correct me if i'm wrong, I would just like to know if I should invest in one or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010, 10:39 PM

Re: Intake adds better fuel economy?

As long as you drive the vehicle the same after you install the intake it will increase your mpg. People run into problems though b/c the tend to drive a little sportier after they install an intake because of the added sound and performance. As long as you can keep your driving habits the same you will gain some fuel economy but don't expect miracles.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:49 AM
BC

I have wondered about the same question with other performance mods, if you add hp then does it increase the efficiency?
In my mind is seems that if the engine is more powerful then i wouldn't need to rev it as high to get the same result as before the mod and therefore would save gas; but that isn't necessarily how it works in the real world. i know there would be many factors at play here including how the engine manages the air-fuel ratio, the temp of the air going into the engine and the engine's timing among others.
Has anyone here been able to increase fuel economy by modding? ie intake, exhaust, turbo etc
i have been considering adding k&n filters to help economy but keep wavering as to weather i should just replace the stock filter and reuse the stock air box or get the typhoon intake on both of our vehicles (09 cube base and an 08 Sebring vert) My cube is averaging 30mpg which is a HUGE improvement from the 14mpg the ram i traded in got.
there are other mods i've seen online (like the halo spark plugs) that claim to boost efficiency, but i'm not quite brave enough to try just yet.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedframe
As long as you drive the vehicle the same after you install the intake it will increase your mpg. People run into problems though b/c the tend to drive a little sportier after they install an intake because of the added sound and performance. As long as you can keep your driving habits the same you will gain some fuel economy but don't expect miracles.
hmm thanks, i guess i'll have to try it and if the mpg slumps i will probably take it out and resale it
Old 05-14-2010, 05:27 AM

i think you gain a bit more then 2hp....i have a fujita phototype right now i can say i get about the same gas miles. but you gain power by more air so it does not waste more gas in any way
Old 06-11-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyT
I've heard from "people" that if you add an intake you get better gas mileage.
The short answer... No.

2010 Cube
Sapphire Black
6-Speed Manual
Tanabe 1.5" Static Drop
Old 07-14-2010, 07:00 PM

i've read somewhere that intakes make you lose some mileage. is that true?

I drive slow!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:36 PM

Your fuel injected car adjusts the amount of fuel used to compensate for the additional air being put in the combustion chamber.

You won't add mpgs by adding and intake. Period. Some people might claim it due to being light on the pedal but the math of it is simple. A car runs from the factory set at a specific tolerance of fuel and air mixture, adding the intake drastically increases the air in the situation and therefore the computer adds fuel to keep the same tolerance of fuel to air mixture.

I personally had an intake on my last car, 05 pt cruiser turbo. It got 19 mpg in the city with the intake on it. After I decided to sell it, I put the stock box back on (with k&n drop in) and jumped to 22 mpgs.

I do believe a drop in filter that allows the air to flow better but doesn't drastically increase the air volume has potential to give additional mpgs, at least on some applications.

2010 Cube 1.8
JVC AVX820 (7" DVD touch screen), audiobahn AW1005Q paired up with a Audiopipe AP-8001D 800W single ohm... Infinity Kappa component front speakers powered by a Rockford Fosgate P400-4.
HID bi-xenon's
FatMat installed EVERYWHERE!

Future mods:  tires and wheels, might be done soon
Old 07-16-2010, 10:17 AM

actually there are 2 sides to this. I don't know if the 1.8 is DI or not but I'm guessing no coz that's an expensive tech and this is a cheap car.

So for a non DI vehicle there are 2 possible outcomes if you modify your intake system.

1. The fuel economy has improved: This is due to an easier breathing intake causing a better atomization of gas, as well as more efficient filling of the combustion chamber. In many cases when you drive the vehicle with the normal intake (if you had a vacuum gauge) you will see a surge in vac and there is a certain amount of drag caused by a restrictive intake system. However this being a 2009/2010 car I would imagine Nissan has done everything in its power to maximize the factory intake efficiency for max mpg. Also a less restrictive intake causes the driver to feel that the car has more power and psychologically he MAY tend to put less throttle input just because of that, causing the ECU to use the fuel map mapped towards a lesser throttle opening, thus reducing the fuel consumption. Logically the only bad thing Nissan COULD have done is to install paper filter to reduce cost, I would be very wary about altering the intake tract or other portions of the intake system prior to the throttle body.

2. The fuel economy has deteriorated: The driver might drive more aggressively because of the added sportiness or sound from the brand new intake. This would be the biggest factor in a sloppier MPG after install. The other possibility is the lack of ram speed due to the freed up intake system, causing fuel to atomize less optimally (again, I'm assuming we have a port injection engine) at the intake valves. This is not the result of a poorly made intake, but rather, an intake designed for a different goal - the ram speed is probably more optimal at higher RPM for its claimed "HP increase" by shifting the ram speed to become more optimal at high volume operations. However, poor atomization of the fuel at lower RPM gives this sense of "losing torque" at lower RPM, causing the driver to press the go pedal deeper in hopes to regain the loss, this would significantly increase fuel consumption as that is going to scale the engine management's fuel map to a higher load/higher performance section.

So it really depends on how the intake system is designed to do. What will be a telltale sign of a good intake system is that you find yourself driving at the same speed with lighter throttle, causing the engine management system to choose a lighter load operation mode.

To be safe it's probably best to just replace the paper filter with a high-flow drop-in unit from an aftermarket manufacturer. That way, you are ensured most optimum Nissan engineering without the cost cutting. Anything more "modified" may or may not help the cause.

What about engines with direct injection? Well the air is always mixed with the fuel before it's released into the combustion chamber as a "packet" of combustible so there will really be no significant difference unless the car is having a hard time breathing through its intake system...
Old 07-31-2010, 05:58 PM

As someone who has modded motorcycles, here is what I found:

Installing a K&N (or making the intake more effecient) allows more air to flow or flow easier. Since the cube is computer controlled, it will increase the amount of fuel taken in in order to keep the mixture the same, so, no net change in normal driving, BUT if you were to romp on it, you would be able to get more air easier and thus more fuel, so drop in MPG.

The only really good ways to get better MPG is:

Drive consertatively. In my Hyundia I found that if I drove at 65 mph on the freeway, my milage was a lot better than if I drove at 70 mph. At 75 mph my milage really dropped.

Reduce weight. Get rid of anything you don't need. If you are confident enough, lose the spare! I carry a plug kit and a tire inflater which together weight much less than the spare.

Overinflate your tires SLIGHTLY. Running the tires a pound or 2 above the door sticker can help. More than that will wear the centers prematurely, make the ride rough and increase chance of a blowout.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in