Intake adds better fuel economy? - Page 3 - Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums

post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 12:52 AM

Re: Intake adds better fuel economy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonlawrence
AndrewGS, I see you replying (arguing with) all my statements. You're all wet. While a particular engine may be designed to run at a given mpg, increasing the airflow will increase the fuel flow. You know nothing about thermodynamics or the computers used in our modern autos. I repeat, TO GET MORE POWER, YOU HAVE TO THROW MORE FUEL ON THE FIRE. MPG AND POWER DO NOT GO HAND-IN-HAND. IF YOU GET MORE POWER OUT OF A GIVEN ENGINE, YOU HAVE TO BURN MORE FUEL "IN THAT ENGINE." CHANGING THE ORIGINAL CONFIGURATION OF THE ENGINE WILL AFFECT YOUR FUEL MILEAGE. I HAVE 45 YEARS EXPERIENCE AS AN ASE MECHANIC AND I HAVE BUILT MORE HOT-RODS THAN YOU HAVE EVER SEEN SEEN. GET REAL!
If your aim is more power and you take advantage of that extra power then yes, you will use more fuel. However, if the engine doesn't have to work as hard to produce the same amount of power you have upped the efficiency.

I have a ram-air intake and Corsa exhaust on my 5.3L Silverado and driving efficiently I get 2MPG better than stock (3MPG better on the highway) because it's not working as hard to pump the air in and out.

Andrew - cube fan -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Chevrolet Sonic RS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I tell ya, I thought it handled great!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 10:57 AM

I had the K&N 69-7077TTK on my car for a tank of gas (300 miles roughly).

At 70 mph on the highway it got approximately 27.X MPG, with my stock box on it, I get 33 range. Hills and accelerating are a different story but no matter what, the MPG went DOWN period.

I put the stock box back on and guess what, my K&N intake is for sale. I decided I wanted the better mpg and less noise over the obvious increase in power it had... Which I have to admit, I miss but oh well..

2010 Cube 1.8
JVC AVX820 (7" DVD touch screen), audiobahn AW1005Q paired up with a Audiopipe AP-8001D 800W single ohm... Infinity Kappa component front speakers powered by a Rockford Fosgate P400-4.
HID bi-xenon's
FatMat installed EVERYWHERE!

Future mods:  tires and wheels, might be done soon
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka Roller Toaster

At 70 mph on the highway it got approximately 27.X MPG, with my stock box on it, I get 33 range. Hills and accelerating are a different story but no matter what, the MPG went DOWN period.

I put the stock box back on and guess what, my K&N intake is for sale. I decided I wanted the better mpg and less noise over the obvious increase in power it had... Which I have to admit, I miss but oh well..
Hey Toaster,

so did you FEEL the increase in power (ALL 7 HP of it ). I am curious because I wanted to get a K&N. Are you positive that mpg went down?Consistently after fillups.....

1991 Nissan Pathfinder XE-V6
2010 Nissan Cube SL

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTK_Cube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aka Roller Toaster

Hey Toaster,

so did you FEEL the increase in power (ALL 7 HP of it ). I am curious because I wanted to get a K&N. Are you positive that mpg went down?Consistently after fillups.....

Well I bought Toasters intake and I do definetly feel a differnece in power. I also recently added a Stillen exhaust. I drive 80 miles daily all freeway and I can tell you since I switched from stock im getting better milage (that is when I stay off the gas and punching it). Before stock i was always at 30.8-31.2 after the mods its anywhere from 32.1-34.2. But if i am driving around town I get 29.1-30.5. I normally drive anywhere from 70-75 mph

2010 Cube SL - Steel Grey

DDM Tunning 6000k HID // Enkei EV5 Hyper Black // Eibach Sportline // Yakima Rook Rack // AVS Vent Shades // ATI Grille // Tint // Stillen Exhaust // K&N Intake // DeBadged Cube // Custom Nissan Black Logo
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 05:34 AM

I heard once that warm air into the motor, better fuel milage. Cold air, more power. Warm or hot air make fuel light easier, and the colder the air the more fuel can get into the motor, hence NOS.

2010 Scarlet Red Cube 6 Speed
20% Tint front, factory rear
Hula Dancer on the dash!
Custom CAI soon to come
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFD33
I heard once that warm air into the motor, better fuel milage. Cold air, more power. Warm or hot air make fuel light easier, and the colder the air the more fuel can get into the motor, hence NOS.
Do you care about your intake getting hot air while in traffic,stop,red light? That's maybe the the only circonstance the engine will get some hot air with a sri. I assure you while driving, it will get enough fresh air.It's more an misunderstood myth going around for so long.

My point is, you can't care about performance gain/mpg from a intake while on idle.

Nissan driver since 2003!
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 03:01 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to luthernil

That's certainly correct. I already tried replacing the ram air intake and it works hand in hand with the new engine for maximum fuel economy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page