Intake adds better fuel economy? - Page 2 - Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 10:17 AM

Re: Intake adds better fuel economy?

its all good info but if you dont look at the whole picture then your not getting the best idea of whats going on.

keep in mind everything youve just read above and think about this.
at part throttle ( where most people drive ) you will have less restriction on the air coming into the engine, so your engine will work less to get the same result. the new filter will flow more freely, so your engine will work less to get more.
now in past cars ive owned, some of the intakes have been too small for the car i.e. 95 trans am. the stock intake was a bottleneck for a 5.0l engine at 3k rpms, it was on a 5.7l motor that spun to 5700. i saw massive gains throughout the rpm band just by swapping to a larger intake.
most new cars are not like this.
on my cobalt, i swapped out to a 3in intake. the check engine light came on and my gas milage went down. the maf started to read way more volume and couldnt compensate for it. we scaled the maf frequency and the gas milage went way up. didnt see much in hp but the engine loved the change.
now on top of air flowing more freely into the engine, you can gain hp and milage by the engine not compensating for the air coming in and leaning out the mixture, not highly likely but could happen. i say all this because every car is different, every manufacturer is different, the aftermarket will make some things that work and some that dont. hopefully some pioneers on here will figure it all out.

o ya just for thought, my cobalt gets a hair over 44mpg on the highway and makes just under 360whp. kind of a fun mix, but doesnt do this at the same time. hoping to run low 12's this season with it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 11:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to Square1

Like someone else said already, it will depend on your driving habits before and after. I myself have never been one to "Take it easy" on the throttle.

On mine with a 6 speed and the stock intake system I got between 29.6 and 30.8 MPG pretty consistant. Several months ago I installed an Injen intake and I'm currently getting between 30 and 32 MPG and my driving habits haven't changed. But I do get better acceleration, crisper throttle response, and it sounds GREAT. Although I did actually get a slight increase in mileage (based on what the computer tells me) it isn't a great amount. But for sure it hasn't decreased. The reason for the fairly wide spread in average MPG is because I live in a mountainous area and drive my car for business. Sometimes I drive in fairly flat areas, and other times I drive the mountains, and it varies. All in all my intake has worked out for me, and it is an improvement all around over the stock intake. - Dano

2009 Super Black cube "S" 6 speed
1964 Corvair Monza Coupe 110 4 speed
"Any ship can be a minesweeper......Once."
"There are more planes in the ocean than submarines in the sky."
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 02:01 PM

The way an intake will increase your mpg is that the hotter the air in your motor the leaner the motor gets the more timing is pulled blah blah blah it works if done right... the problem is most people after a intake just floor it all the time

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 01:47 AM

I know it's an old thread, but if I might add some personal experience.

I bought my 2005 Silverado new and stock it got around 17MPG on average and 20MPG on the highway. When I added a ram-air intake, cat-back exhaust and switched to full synthetic motor oil I gained 2MPG average and I've seen as good as 24MPG on the highway at 65MPH.

I'm not saying the same thing would make such a drastic change to the cube, but I plan on doing the same mods to my cube after a few thousand stock miles.

Andrew - cube fan -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Chevrolet Sonic RS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I tell ya, I thought it handled great!"
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 05:33 AM

Part of the advantage of a cai is the simple physics of the air itself. The colder the air the more dense it is. The more dense the air is, the more oxygen molecules are present. The more oxygen present in the combustion chamber, the better the burn will be.

Class dismissed.

2010 Cube SL, Sapphire Blue Onyx
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 10:20 PM

One thing that could play against good or bad mpg is the A/F ratio. For personnal experience, I had a Sentra SeR SpecV before the cube, and on some board, members who added intake, header, catback and a Apex'I SAFC2 device to adjust A/F ratio did saw a better mpg and getting more ponies out of the b15.

But it must be said that 2002-03 B15 SeR SpecV were know to be running too lean at low rpm and too rich at high rpm. So by correcting the A/F ratio with the SAFC2 to a 13.5 iirc, the car was running smoother. It was a waste of money on 2004-06 on the other hand since the problem was corrected and these one nearly had perfect A/F ratio on all the powerband.

To know how the A/F ratio is on the z12, just plug an o2 wideband on it to check it out and see if anything have to be corrected.

Nissan driver since 2003!
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 08:22 PM

one thing to keep in mind... you can't change the basic laws of thermodynamics, no matter what you really want to believe. To get more power, you have to throw more fuel on the fire. More power and better mpg do not go hand in hand. You can't have both.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonlawrence
one thing to keep in mind... you can't change the basic laws of thermodynamics, no matter what you really want to believe. To get more power, you have to throw more fuel on the fire. More power and better mpg do not go hand in hand. You can't have both.
You can make the engine breathe easier with an intake and exhaust and if you drive efficiently you can take advantage of that gain in efficiency.

A Corvette is rated for 26MPG highway with a 6.2L engine. Drivers that drive efficiently routinely see 30MPG on the highway despite the displacement. Reason? Efficiency.

Andrew - cube fan -

2014 Chevrolet Sonic RS

"I tell ya, I thought it handled great!"
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 12:36 AM

AndrewGS, I see you replying (arguing with) all my statements. You're all wet. While a particular engine may be designed to run at a given mpg, increasing the airflow will increase the fuel flow. You know nothing about thermodynamics or the computers used in our modern autos. I repeat, TO GET MORE POWER, YOU HAVE TO THROW MORE FUEL ON THE FIRE. MPG AND POWER DO NOT GO HAND-IN-HAND. IF YOU GET MORE POWER OUT OF A GIVEN ENGINE, YOU HAVE TO BURN MORE FUEL "IN THAT ENGINE." CHANGING THE ORIGINAL CONFIGURATION OF THE ENGINE WILL AFFECT YOUR FUEL MILEAGE. I HAVE 45 YEARS EXPERIENCE AS AN ASE MECHANIC AND I HAVE BUILT MORE HOT-RODS THAN YOU HAVE EVER SEEN SEEN. GET REAL!
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 12:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to chompsticks Send a message via Yahoo to chompsticks

Actually, the more efficiently the vehicles stock engine can move the car at normal driving conditions, the better MPG you can get. Adding more power may burn more fuel, but it allows to car to move more efficiently. You can get better MPG with more power as long as you are not heavy footed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page