Windshield making a cracking sound in cold weather - Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Windshield making a cracking sound in cold weather

Hello All,

We've had, for the most part, a mild winter here in Southwest Ohio. However, on colder days (below 30 degrees), everytime I hit a bump the windshield makes a sound like it is cracking! It sounds like someone is throwing a small stone at the windshield, or ice is falling off the wipers. This is not the case, of course.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I tried to see if it was coming from inside the car, like from the dash, dashboard rug (thought the velcro might have been loose or something) or glove box. No avail, it is definitely coming from the windshield. On warmer days, I don't notice the sound at all.

2010 Nissan Cube SLR Preferred (Automatic Transmission): Kick Plate Lighting, 20 Interior LED lighting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 11:12 PM

Re: Windshield making a cracking sound in cold weather

Mine has been doing this too, and it stops once the windshield is warmed up.

10' 1.8 S CVT
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 01:34 PM

Here in Canada we get very cold temperature (-15) and yes the windshield cracks, as does the dash, even the rear cargo door... In the cold, plastic tends do difform a bit which causes the cracking sounds. It goes away when it's hotter outside.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperman500
Here in Canada we get very cold temperature (-15) and yes the windshield cracks, as does the dash, even the rear cargo door... In the cold, plastic tends do difform a bit which causes the cracking sounds. It goes away when it's hotter outside.
QFT

Same thing happen to me too. It goes away too when the interior of the car is hot too. Finding new cars theses day that aren't made cheap with dash,doors rattles are rare.

I was in my friend 2003 Jetta sunday night at -20C and no **** rattles at all.

Nissan driver since 2003!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 06:01 PM

I have had mine for 3 winters now and it has done the same thing each season.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyacheslav View Post
Hello All,

We've had, for the most part, a mild winter here in Southwest Ohio. However, on colder days (below 30 degrees), everytime I hit a bump the windshield makes a sound like it is cracking! It sounds like someone is throwing a small stone at the windshield, or ice is falling off the wipers. This is not the case, of course.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I tried to see if it was coming from inside the car, like from the dash, dashboard rug (thought the velcro might have been loose or something) or glove box. No avail, it is definitely coming from the windshield. On warmer days, I don't notice the sound at all.
Yes, I also have this problem. It sounds like two different materials are rudely cracking against each other, and sometimes there is a loud popping sound, as if a stone has hit the windshield even though I know that isn't what happened...no car in front of me to kick anything up. It is worse this year than last. Very irritating. I expect the windshield to break at the next bump...and then the next. Have you heard anything from Nissan about this?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page