Service Engine Soon light - Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums

#1 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 11:15 AM

Service Engine Soon light

Our 2010 Cube, which just had its five month birthday, started lighting up the Service Engine Soon light this morning. We checked the manual, but couldn't find anything about why it would show up. The Cube is running as smooth as ever, cranks fine, A/C works, and there are no leaks (aside from some condensation). Our guess is that we've just driven it 3400mi and it's alerting us for it's 3750mi inspection, which we took care of in May since it's every 3750mi or every 3mo.

Has this happened to anyone before? Should we take it in now (Nearest Nissan service center is an hour away, which is why I'm hesitant to just do it) or is it safe to wait for the 6mo in a couple of weeks?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 11:21 AM

Re: Service Engine Soon light

Try this. It worked on my previous Sentra, did it several time, and it does work too on the Versa of my gf. You can extract the check engine code by yourself and reset it too...depending on what it is.

In car ECM Diagnostics/ECM Reset procedure:

1) Sit in the driver's seat.2) Turn the ignition key to the ON position and wait three seconds. (Do not start the car.)3) Fully depress and release the accelerator pedal five times in less than five seconds.4) Wait exactly seven seconds. Fully depress the accelerator pedal for ten seconds until the MIL light flashes.5) Release the accelerator pedal and start counting flashes to obtain the four-digit trouble code.

Long flashes (0.6 seconds) indicate the first digit of the code; count the blinks one through nine and write down the first digit. (Ten blinks indicates a zero.)The next three digits follow in turn in the same fashion except with faster blinks (0.3 second) and a 1.0-second pause between digits.

The ECM code repeats intself until you turn the ignition key to the OFF position, at which point the ECM resets itself to standard get-in-and-drive-the-car mode.You can look up the trouble codes in the ESM/FSM; there's a bunch of them. In the ESM, refer to page EC-639.Additionally, if you get four blinks of ten (0000), the ECM is indicating no malfunction.

You can clear the code (and the annoying MIL) by holding down the accelerator pedal for more than 10 seconds while in Diagnostic Test Mode II. When you release the pedal, the ECM erases the trouble code(s).

Have a watch with yourself, it helps a lot.

Get the code and search on the internet for it.

Nissan driver since 2003!
#3 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 01:46 PM

Make sure your gas cap is tight. if not it will throw a code and the light will come on.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-cube
Make sure your gas cap is tight. if not it will throw a code and the light will come on.
^This. Tighten it until it clicks three times (but no more) every time you fill up. This has fixed many a CEL.

Your Cube shouldn't be throwing a CEL for any other reason right now. If you re-tighten the gas cap, give it three normal running cycles (such as when you're going to town to run errands) and see if the CEL goes out. If it does, the gas cap was probably your issue. If it doesn't, you should get to your Nissan dealer ASAP and have it fixed.

The Cube does not have a "service minder" function like a lot of cars, to my knowledge. We were just past 4,000 miles before we got in for the first service on our Cube, and nary a CEL to be seen.

2010 Bitter Chocolate Nissan Cube 1.8S CVT
2006 Oxford White Ford Ranger XL Regular Cab 2.3L 5M
#5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 04:04 PM

I might be wrong but I thought that there was a difference between the two:
Check engine: if it is not the gas cap, go to the dealer;
Servise en gine soon: I had it once and it was a reminder to have it serviced ( oil change). It might be only in Canada
#6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I would say go to a local Autozone and have them run the code for free. Nissan dealers usually charge a diagnostic fee. Get the code and google it and it'll usually come up..

Also you can easily reset the light by taking the negative cable off the battery for a few hours. And that'll reset it. And if there is a problem the light will come back on. If it was just the gas cap then it won't..

2009 Cube SL (Chrome Silver)
APS Billet grille (full set)
DDM Tuning 35w 6000K HID kit
AVS vent visors
LED's every bulb
Fiaam El Grande twin horns
K&N Typhoon intake
Motegi Racing SP10 17X7
205/45R-17 Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110
Stillen exhaust
Eibach Sportlines
DC Sports Strut Br
#7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crouton
Servise en gine soon: I had it once and it was a reminder to have it serviced ( oil change). It might be only in Canada
The check engine code for the gas cap may be for one other thing too. The EGR valve.

It helps your car more efficiently and completely burn fuel by recirculating a portion of your exhaust and running it through the combustion process again. This results in a cooler, more complete burn of the fuel which decreases you car's noxious emissions by prohibiting the formation of some harmful gases.

Nissan driver since 2003!
#8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crouton
I've never had a Nissan where "Service Engine Soon" meant "You're due for an oil change." It always meant there was a problem, and you needed to correct it. Typically, Nissan cars and trucks do not have what GM calls a "Service Minder" feature, where it measures the contaminants in your oil or the miles you've driven or the total engine running hours or some such nonsense to determine when you're due for service. Nissan prefers to keep it simple and have one light that tells you something is wrong, rather than having two lights to confuse the owner.

Long story short, in my experience, Nissan's "Service Engine Soon" is one and the same with "Check Engine" lights you'd see in most any other car. For example, see this thread over at NissanForums where this very question is asked about an Altima.

2010 Bitter Chocolate Nissan Cube 1.8S CVT
2006 Oxford White Ford Ranger XL Regular Cab 2.3L 5M
#9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 04:22 PM

Same thing happened to me for no reason. I took it in and they reset the computer and it cost me $100.
#10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 05:09 PM

I had the service engine soon light come on after only having it one month. It ended up being an update for the computer, no biggie, they updated it for me and I was on my way.

10' 1.8 S CVT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page