Cabin air filter - Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums

#1 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 11:33 AM

Cabin air filter

Does anyone know how to replace the cabin air filter? Location and pictures would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 11:40 AM

Re: Cabin air filter

there is a FSM (factory service manual) in the DIY section of this forum. It should have drawing and instruction there.

#3 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Guy

I finally got around to inspecting my cabin air filter today. I was curious as to what kind of dirt or debris would be in it. I was expecting it to be fairly clean because:

1) Even though I bought it in September it has less than 4,500 miles and

2) The "Lunar Taxi" has only been driven in the Phoenix, Arizona area, which is not really known for alot of folliage and pollen.

Well, you can tell by the picture that there was alot o'crap in it, but here's the story. . . . . .

I removed the 9 screws to remove the glove box to gain access to the filter cover plate on the HVAC box. The filter cover plate easily snaps off to reveal the edge of the filter. There is a 'pull tab' on the side of the filter you can grab to remove the filter. So I pull on it . . . .nothing, pull harder . . . . nothing, tug like **** . . . and still nothing.

Now I figure I better refer to the Service Manual (see attached) before I break something. It says to remove the glovebox, remove the filter cover, then remove the filter . . . . . the end. Doesn't even mention the pull tab. I couldn't see what I was possible doing wrong till I looked closer at the illustration. You can't just slide the filter out because it is taller than the opening it it needs to come through!

Now I'm ready to try again, but this time instead of pulling the tab out I pull it straight down. This compresses the filter's pleats like an accordian until it clears the top of the opening so you can pull it out. One of many downsides of this weak design is that when the entire filter clears the enclosure it spings back to full height and spews that debris all over the place. Including back into the unit. So after vacuuming the floor, I used a crevice tool to reach into the HVAC unit and hopefully got all of it cleaned out.

I would like to find an accessable place upstream from the filter, possibly in the cowling, to install
some mesh or screening to catch the larger debis before it enters the cabin.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cube Filter 001.jpg (152.9 KB, 4914 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Filter.pdf (78.0 KB, 197 views)

Just passing through . . . .

#4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 10:55 AM

Sorry to hear you had quite the struggle with removing your cabin air filter. I just donít get it, you wonder what the design engineers are thinking when they design these routinely required maintenance items like the cabin air filter, engine air filter, engine oil filter, brake pads, rotors, spark plugs, etc.

I havenít taken my cabin air filter out yet, but sounds like Iím not looking forward to it.

2009, Silver, SL, Preferred Package
#5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 12:06 AM

hope this will help you. i got this topic about how to replace a cabin air filter, this helps me to replace the cabin air filter. this is very helpful.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 10:47 PM
Guy

Thanks for trying, but this is not even remotely close to the procedures needed for the 3rd generation CUBE.

Just passing through . . . .

#7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 01:00 PM

I recall reading somewhere that the procedure for replacing the cabin air filter on a cube is identical to that of the Versa cabin air filter replacement procedure. I have yet to swap out the filter on my cube but here's a write-up on replacing the cabin air filter on a Versa:

--Tools and parts needed--

Phillips screwdriver
Needle-nose pliers
Cabin Air Filter- OEM part # B7891-1FC0A at http://www.nissanpartszone.com/parts...891-1fc0a.html-

1. Open the glove box door and remove the two screws at the top and three at the bottom in the hinge area, using the Phillips screwdriver. Pull the glove box out far enough to disconnect the glove box light harness connector directly behind the box.

2. Pull the glove box out. This installation uses spring blind clamp nuts. These are pieces of metal bent in half with a hole on one end for the screw and a nut on the other. They are the type the are pressed over an existing hole in metal or plastic and held in place by their clamping action. When the glove box is removed some of these may not be very tight and may fall off. Make sure to pick them up.

3. Look straight back behind the glove box opening and you can see the rectangular plastic door above the blower motor. You must lift the plastic tab on the right to release the door. Lift up a little on the door, which is part of the filter, and pull the filter out.

4. Push the new filter in until the tab on the door snaps. Install the blind nuts if any fell off. If they did, look at the five holes in the plastic part of the dash to see which ones fell off. If they fell off they are loose, so pick the fastener up and squeeze it with the needle nose pliers. This will make it a tighter fit over the hole. Push them over the holes from where they fell off.

5. Hold the glove box up and connect the light electrical plug. Insert the glove box and five Phillips screws and tighten them.

Again, I can only speculate that this write-up can apply to the cube's cabin air filter replacement procedure. Hope this at least helps you out somewhat!

#8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 08:28 AM

I got mine from amazon for $7.16. I wonder if K&N makes one.

2009 Steel Gray 1.8SL
Pioneer AVIC-X910BT Navi Head Unit
Pioneer ND-BC20PA Backup Camera
XM and iPod adaptors
LED DRL
Interior LED Accent Lighting
LED interior bulbs
NRG Carbon Fiber Hood Dampers
FIAMM Horns
Seat Covers
Car Cover
http://catskillcam.com
#9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 05:11 PM
JN2

The 2009 Cube has nine phillips head (9) screws holding the glove box in place; 3 at the bottom below the hinge (you'll need to kneel beside the passenger side of the car to get to them), 2 inside the glove box in the "roof" facing up, and 4 across the face just above the latch.
Remove the 9 screws, remove the glove box (unplug light if applicable), and remove the small plastic cover near the blower (toward the center of the vehicle, approximately 4 inches by 1.5 inches). The filter has to be compacted like an accordian to remove it or replace it. The arrows should face the front of the vehice.
Entire job in 30 mins or less. Hope that helps.
#10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 06:35 AM

I always have the dealer replace mine. I've had them do it three times now. I just hit 49,000 miles last night.

Just a quick note, be sure and change it at the required intervals or before.

I mention this because my Mother had a Toyota Solara that also had an in cabin micro filter. She didn't get it changed often enough and sure enough it got mildew and mold growing on it. Even though she started changing it out after that at regular intervals, it was too late, it was already throughout the HVAC system. Despite the dealer supposedly doing some kind of HVAC treatment, that car always had an odor after that. This odor was in there for a few years until she finally traded the car in. It wasn't a very pleasant odor either. lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page