Thinking of a Cube - Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Thinking of a Cube

Hey guys,

So recently I have started thinking of picking up a newer car. And the Cube catches my eye. I recently signed up for Uber, and my current car is an 03, in great condition, but requires Premium gas and only gets around 20mpg.

So the car will probably become my daily commuter and double as my work car.

I'm looking for some realworld reliability experience and MPG experience. I would prefer a manual to an automatic as well, so not sure if there is a big difference between the transmissions and how they handle.

Thanks guys,

Look forward the any replies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 09:17 AM

Here's my opinion on the Nissan Cube for what it's worth- some people say that advice is only worth what you pay for it.

First, let me recommend that you look for a 2011, 2012, 2013, or 2014 model year Cube. (2009 & 2010 Cubes had known CVT issues; Nissan doubled the powertrain warranty to 120,000 miles or 10 years. I have read stories of 2009-2010 Cube owners having their CVT's replaced, some even 2 or 3 times.) I personally chose to avoid those early year models just to be safe, I don't have the money to take the chance. Nissan put new CVT's in 2011-2014 Cubes. I purchased a 2013 Cube S (CVT, not manual) with 23,000 miles, last march. I have very little knowledge about the manual transmissions, but I haven't heard any complaints about them. (somebody with knowledge of this may chip in) Due to commuting to work and taking road trips, I'm at 61,000 miles today. Even though that's nearly 40,000, the Cube still runs like new. I commute about 140 miles to work daily (Monday through Friday, 75% highway, 25% city) and would definitely recommend this car. I'm not sure what your daily commute looks like, but I can tell you that the Cube doesn't do too well in crosswinds. You will get blown around the road quite a bit; I get the occasional windy day here in upstate NY, but good tires seem to help that. Overall, it's not a deal breaker unless you live in an area that's prone to a lot of windy days. I have Goodyear all season tires on the car and have found them great for both summer and winter driving in the snow (not sure where you're located)

Secondly, I believe the CVT 2013 Cube gets around 27 city/31 highway (Manual: 25/30 MPG). I haven't ever measured what I actually get for MPG, but i'm probably nearly the 27/31. I'm a very relaxed driver, but driving through the Adirondack Mountains every day hurts my MPG a bit. I would expect the average MPG to be around 31/32- maybe a little better or worse depending on factors such as driving style, city vs. highway, etc.

Overall, I think you would be very pleased with the Cube. If possible- look for an "SL" model as they have a few more "perks" and upgrades. In my opinion, I prefer to drive a Cube with the CVT. There are a lot of great forum posts on this site, but not many "active" users anymore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture1205161046_1.jpg (84.9 KB, 9 views)

2013 Nissan Cube S
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**65,500K** miles and counting...

AVS Window Visors
JVC KW-V220BT
Brilliant Silver Interior Trim Appliques
ATI Grill
Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring
Sylvania SilverStar Ultra Halogen
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 02:07 PM

We have owned Cubes with a CVT and 6sp. I prefer the CVT as I do a lot of stop and go city driving. The CVT also acts as a retarder when going down steep mountain passes. In theory the CVT gets better fuel mileage, in fact my 2014 CVT is slightly better than my 2010 6sp. The 2010 was slightly better than my 2013 CVT. All got about 29mpg overall.
The Cube would probably make a good UBER car as it is very easy for the passengers to get in and out of, however many people would "do a double take" when you pulled up because it appears to be so small.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014S, (Previously a 2010 6sp, and 2013cvt) All red exterior

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feed back.

How is overall road noise? I have had some other econo cars as rentals and you almost can't talk at 70mph due to how loud it is. Is the cube fairly well insulated?

How does the AC work. I am in AZ, so that is probably the most important thing ?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 08:18 AM

AugustRush1993 pretty much summed it up.

I personally notice the wind noise the most due to the shape, but have since gotten used to it. Engine and tire (on stock Toyo A20) noise are not overly loud, but probably not the quietest, though my other regularly driven car and reference is a FR-S and that's loud by design.

The cube is an economy car after all.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 09:34 AM

The A/C works fine but I suggest you get the side front windows tinted for maximum A/C efficiency as well as appearance. in Arizona the maximum legal tint is 33%; that will match the rear door tint.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 11:35 AM

I agree with what they said. It is an economy car after all- and I'd argue that it's worth it to buy a decent set of tires. My Cube came with the cheapest tires in the world, they rode terrible and I felt everything. During the summer I bought a set of Goodyear tires (Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring). They aren't cheap, but I'd buy them again any day. (quieter ride, smoother ride, little to no road noise, good traction and handling). These tires are supposed to last 80,000k. (total cost was $380.00 installed, which included the $70.00 rebate).

Ride Quality: Most Cube drivers are probably used to the wind noise after a while. Windy days can make the cabin quite loud and tumultuous during highway driving (60+ MPH). Installing AVS window visors helped as well. This car is made for the city- it handles well, turns well, and drives smoothly. It parks so easily- it made parking in downtown Philadelphia a breeze. (I got the "leftover" spots that nobody else could fit in).
Please test drive the car at least a few times. Make sure you like how the car drives before you buy it. The steering is quite "free" and relaxed, which I enjoy for the most part but everyone will not.

One last thing concerning pricing. You as a potential Cube buyer are at a great advantage. The demand for these vehicles are low, which sometimes makes them hard to sell for individuals and dealers. Some places may give you a great deal on a Cube, not because they are a bad car, but because people don't want them (it's their loss )

2013 Nissan Cube S

AVS Window Visors
JVC KW-V220BT
ATI Grill
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the additional feedback.

As for tires, I never skimp on those. The way I look at it is you only replace them every few years. And if a good set is only $380, that is cheap. I think I paid more for the 2 fronts on my other car.

Tint is a must, I tint all my cars, again not something I skimp on. I use tint zoom.com. You can get the kit cut to your car, and installing it isn't too bad. In AZ you can do limo in the rear, but I don't go that dark.

I have noticed a lot of them on Craigslist for quite a while, same ones, aging posts. My thing is I do not need a car, so I can be patient . And I like cars that are a bit on the quirky side and unique.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 09:05 AM

We'll you will love the quirky and unique Cube. Be prepared to be stared at, as if some UFO is driving by.

Upgrades:

Window Tint: Is it hard to install the tint? (I'm not very handy with cars and I feel like I'd create the dreaded "bubble windows".)

Seat Covers:
In case your interested, Clazzio makes great seat covers for the Cube. Great quality and exact fit over the seats.

2013 Nissan Cube S

AVS Window Visors
JVC KW-V220BT
ATI Grill
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 02:56 PM

I had a professional do all of my Cubes. $100 for the 2 front side windows.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Cube Life - Nissan Cube Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page